Scunnered

Jaggernaut

Over the past few weeks my enthusiasm about all current things Thistle has been getting seriously dented. The relentless failure of this team to win matches, hold onto leads, keep a clean sheet or even to score, and especially to put up any kind of credible opposition against "stronger" teams while other teams around us do all of these, is wearing me down. It's the sheer relentlessness of it all, the almost inevitability that we ain't going to win, that's the killer. The slow side-to-side and backwards passing, the lack of creativity, the apparent  lack of interest or pride by too many players despite what they say to the media, the failure to show real improvement despite the "need to learn" statements, the lack of real fight (not just getting sent off)... it's all finally taking its toll. I can't even be bothered watching the highlights of the latest meek defeat; it'll simply reinforce my resignation about how garbage the team really is.

It'll soon be time for season ticket renewal.......... somehow, for the first time in donkeys' years despite never being able to get to matches these days..... I just don't see me renewing.  

Edited by Jaggernaut

I feel exactly the same.Nothing used to stop me getting to Firhill but it's an absolute effort to go now.Not only because of results but also the style of football is dire. It may be a higher standard of football but it reminds me relatively of the last days of the Bunnet. It's soul destroying.  

3 hours ago, angry gaz said:

I feel exactly the same.Nothing used to stop me getting to Firhill but it's an absolute effort to go now.Not only because of results but also the style of football is dire. It may be a higher standard of football but it reminds me relatively of the last days of the Bunnet. It's soul destroying.  

I get your drift. I feel similar re enthusiasm traipsing along to  Firhill. Moot point I actually thought the style of football was improved yesterday. Think despite the low score a neutral would've enjoyed it.

What was scunnering me yesterday was more to do with the low tempo re movement in passing, particularly coming out of defence. Eventually results in one player passing the ball to another in a worse position. That or the first player getting caught in possession. 

• Like 1

Can understand these sentiments and feel a bit low myself.

A play-off win v Dundee United would make me feel much better though.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure I've never followed Thistle because of our league position and results.

I'm sure you'll be the same in that regard.

What is it that's making folk turn against the team at a time when they need us most?

Performances are one thing, but Thistle are just Thistle to me and my support will never be based upon results.

I understand your disappointment in performances but things are much improved on all other fronts.

Having watched us in times of defeat against Cowdenbeath, times with an aged team, no youth set-up, lower leagues, poor facilities, no money etc., I feel these times are not so bad.

I would never dream we'd have many teams of different abilities, ages and sex, or that we'd have spent 5 years in the top league, planning our very own training facility.

I can only think that the current Thistle regeneration exercise has been so successful that our expectations have gone sky high.

When the hurt of defeat subsides, we are still Thistle.

Let's get behind our team and make them stay up. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I am also scunnered just now and having being a Thistle fan all my life it is not the first time and I don't suppose it will be the last either.But I will be renewing my season ticket for next season and hopefully for many seasons to come no matter who the manager is or what league we are in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CotterJag said:

Having said that, I'm pretty sure I've never followed Thistle because of our league position and results.

What is it that's making folk turn against the team at a time when they need us most?

Performances are one thing, but Thistle are just Thistle to me and my support will never be based upon results.

I understand your disappointment in performances but things are much improved on all other fronts.

Having watched us in times of defeat against Cowdenbeath, times with an aged team, no youth set-up, lower leagues, poor facilities, no money etc., I feel these times are not so bad.

I would never dream we'd have many teams of different abilities, ages and sex, or that we'd have spent 5 years in the top league, planning our very own training facility.

I can only think that the current Thistle regeneration exercise has been so successful that our expectations have gone sky high.

Outstanding post. 

I feel that having seen the progress made on and off the park, probably over the period since Ian McCall took over, I would hate for that to be jeopardized by relegation and that on too many occasions this season the players have shown a mental fragility and the manager and players have failed to learn from our defeats.

If we were to lose the ladies team or some of the youth teams then I would see that as a major step back and the current players and management could be putting these at risk as well as our top flight status. Even Falkirk have given up on their youth set-up after an extended stay in the Championship.

I desperately hope that we stay up and I might renew my season ticket even if we do go down, but I won't continue to pay to watch turgid losing football for the majority of every season. We are Thistle, we will win some, lose some and draw some, but we should have a team with  the mentality that we go into every game with the aim of winning (as Hugh Murray instilled into the Championship winning squad from pre-season onwards) and that winning a cup every now and again or at least getting to semis and finals is realistic.

P.S. please let us see some more younger players, McCarthy has been great in a few games and Penrice should surely be getting some game time, even in midfield. Young players are a resource to be nurtured, but they should be utilised. They are not flowers and if they can't cope or learn from a few defeats (and hopefully some victories) they don't have much of a future in the game anyway.

Edited by flashman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CotterJag said:

Agree with all of that. Personally I am just petrified that going down might put the youth academy, training facility etc in real danger. I real fear of going backwards to the bad old days.  Absolutely scarred by the near death of Thistle and the years in the wilderness. Let's hope we find our form and prove all the doubters, including me, totally wrong.

2 hours ago, CotterJag said:

Avoiding relegation isn't "sky high" expectation given the available resource and structural stability of the club.

People are fed up with this team not because they aren't romping their way to European glory, but because their performances give the overriding impression that they don't give a shit and they're complacent as ****.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End said:

Agree with all of that. Personally I am just petrified that going down might put the youth academy, training facility etc in real danger. I real fear of going backwards to the bad old days.  Absolutely scarred by the near death of Thistle and the years in the wilderness. Let's hope we find our form and prove all the doubters, including me, totally wrong.

I maybe wrong, but don’t the Weirs fund the Academy and the new facilities.  So not dependant on which league we are in. 

However, they might give up if we aren’t in the top league ?

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I maybe wrong, but don’t the Weirs fund the Academy and the new facilities.  So not dependant on which league we are in. 

However, they might give up if we aren’t in the top league ?

The Weirs put in an initial amount into the Youth Academy and I believe then put in extra, but the plan is for it to be self-sustaining - which is difficult when younger players struggle to get a look in. If we were to be in the lower leagues for another extended period, I can't see it being viable short of further funding from the Weirs, which as you say is not guaranteed.

15 hours ago, flashman said:

The Weirs put in an initial amount into the Youth Academy and I believe then put in extra, but the plan is for it to be self-sustaining - which is difficult when younger players struggle to get a look in. If we were to be in the lower leagues for another extended period, I can't see it being viable short of further funding from the Weirs, which as you say is not guaranteed.

It is arguable that if we were in a lower league the younger players coming through might be more likely to be given a chance. (Personally, I feel that it's the decision of the managing team to restrict the numbers of young players coming through, and that it looks like a bad decision. I'd have Penrose in the team every week, as well as McCarthy, who is gaining rapidly from the experience.)

Is it not also the case that the Weirs are funding the new training facility which will be owned by them and rented, exclusively,  by Thistle? If relegation is going to threaten our ability to afford this then maybe that's the reason for the silence over the progression towards identifiying a site.

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 3:08 AM, Jaggernaut said:

Over the past few weeks my enthusiasm about all current things Thistle has been getting seriously dented. The relentless failure of this team to win matches, hold onto leads, keep a clean sheet or even to score, and especially to put up any kind of credible opposition against "stronger" teams while other teams around us do all of these, is wearing me down. It's the sheer relentlessness of it all, the almost inevitability that we ain't going to win, that's the killer. The slow side-to-side and backwards passing, the lack of creativity, the apparent  lack of interest or pride by too many players despite what they say to the media, the failure to show real improvement despite the "need to learn" statements, the lack of real fight (not just getting sent off)... it's all finally taking its toll. I can't even be bothered watching the highlights of the latest meek defeat; it'll simply reinforce my resignation about how garbage the team really is.

It'll soon be time for season ticket renewal.......... somehow, for the first time in donkeys' years despite never being able to get to matches these days..... I just don't see me renewing.  

You're no' here to enjoy yersel' Jaggernaut, you're here tae support the Thistle..!!!

• Like 3