Post Split Fixtures

potty trained

Looking forward to them coming out.

Would love us to get Dundee at Firhill first. Followed by a midweek trip to Perth. County at Firhill, Motherwell away with Hamilton at home last game of the season.

I take it this is a possibility?

After yesterday's spirited performance, I'm looking forward to this run. Well within our capability to finish 10th.

Tried to explain why we don't have a fixture next Saturday to a mate. He supports an English Championship club where his and 23 other clubs seem quite happy playing one home and one away game against each other.   Best I could do was to say the SPFL need the extra week to organise the fixtures to try and see that the clubs have the same number of home fixtures as away fixtures against each other, but that's not always possible.  Yes it's unfortunate that we can't play a Saturday league game in mid April tho' we can be sent to Aberdeen or Dingwall around Xmas but it's the price we have to pay for what's good for us. Unsurprisingly he wasn't convinced.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Haha 1

My concern with the post split games is how Motherwell & St Johnstone approach them. Neither are involved in the bottom 2 issue and if Motherwell lose their semi final next week it is only who finishes 7th they are looking at.

At some point youngsters will get game time, the managers will be looking at resting players with knocks or who will start next season with a suspension if they pick up a booking, etc.

If we get them right at the start before they take their foot of the gas then the other teams around us get them when they are less focused it makes our task even harder.

Still confident we can get ourselves safe but we need to play as we did in the second half yesterday for the whole game times 5.

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Tried to explain why we don't have a fixture next Saturday to a mate. He supports an English Championship club where his and 23 other clubs seem quite happy playing one home and one away game against each other.   Best I could do was to say the SPFL need the extra week to organise the fixtures to try and see that the clubs have the same number of home fixtures as away fixtures against each other, but that's not always possible.  Yes it's unfortunate that we can't play a Saturday league game in mid April tho' we can be sent to Aberdeen or Dingwall around Xmas but it's the price we have to pay for what's good for us. Unsurprisingly he wasn't convinced.

It is also cup semifinal weekend, I think

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

The extra week is to try to predict which weekend Celtic are going to win the league as they don't want that to happen at Ibrox!

We want to be playing Dundee, Hamilton and Ross County when we have Cerny back. So the weeks break is not a bad thing for us.

Yesterday our defence looked better and Scully didn't do much wrong but Cerny instills a level of confidence that Scully can't match. Also it maybe that we need some of Cerny's 'game management skills' when the pressure is on

My understanding is that the post-split fixtures will be (not necessarily in this order)

Motherwell - Home - 3

St Johnstone - Away - 3

Dundee - Away  - 0

Hamilton - Home - 3

Ross County - Home - 3

I have added the points taken from the corresponding fixtures this season - just the 12 and Dundee have a far worse home record than we do.  We are apparently nowhere as good as any of these sides,  trailing a massive one point behind Ross County  and with Hamilton (1 point), Dundee (2points) and Motherwell (3 points) all on  tremendous form over the last 5 games. We are as good as relegated , I'm not sure it's even worth playing the games.

I think our only chance it to tempt  Csaba Laszlo away from Dundee United - he has turned their season around after they sacked their under-performing manager.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

My concern with the post split games is how Motherwell & St Johnstone approach them. Neither are involved in the bottom 2 issue and if Motherwell lose their semi final next week it is only who finishes 7th they are looking at.

At some point youngsters will get game time, the managers will be looking at resting players with knocks or who will start next season with a suspension if they pick up a booking, etc.

If we get them right at the start before they take their foot of the gas then the other teams around us get them when they are less focused it makes our task even harder.

Still confident we can get ourselves safe but we need to play as we did in the second half yesterday for the whole game times 5.

Motherwell and St.Johnstone will be playing for the extra prize money that 7th gets over 8th.Our attitude needs to be right and I know we don't know who our first game is against yet,but if we won the first game it would hopefully get the confidence up and also put pressure on the teams we are trying to catch.

The following quote from SFA Secretary, Iain Blair, sums up the nonsense league set up.

“The most important thing is to try to ensure clubs finish the season having played 19 games at home and 19 away. Unfortunately to facilitate this some clubs will need to gain one home game and some will need to lose one to ensure balance.”

• Confused 2

11 hours ago, javeajag said:

Given we have won 6 games out of 33 and failed to score in 16 of them I don’t think who we get where will make much difference ....things are not going to turn round now look at the last 9 games 

Not even considering that the games we have won have been against the teams we will play ?

Sorry PT, posted my reply before I saw your post

Edited by Lenziejag

Ok let’s be optimistic.....on our form to date we have either a one in five chance of wining a league game .....so we could win one game more this season....ah but our wins are against bottom six teams but that’s once  this year with no win in our last nine games

we also struggle to score with the likelihood we will only score in two if the five matches 

best scenario we win 1 to 2 games....possible we don’t win any