John Lambie

AlgarveJag

Total legend. My daughter was mascot for his last game at Firhill as manager, when he returned pre-Dick Campbell to spark a mini-revival. Will never forget our smoke and alternative vocabulary filled, but kindly, reception in the great man's office.

It is time for the North Stand to be given a proper name and not just a compass point. After all, it was thanks to him that it was built in the first place.

• Like 2

If anyone can be labelled a Partick Thistle legend it is John Lambie. A huge shadow has been cast on our great club with his passing. We all remember his common touch. No airs and graces. He spoke our language, a language we all understood and loved, albeit extremely colourful at times, lol. Rest in peace John, I'm sure your new chairman up there will be getting it both barrels.

• Like 4

A very sad day. Had my best times supporting Thistle when he was manager - e.g. promotion in 92, consecutive promotions in his third spell, run to Scottish Cup semi...

I remember standing outside Meadowbank one Saturday waiting for a lift (from a St Mirren fan who was at Tynecastle that day) when the players were boarding their coach - JL offered me a lift back to Glasgow on the team bus - a gent.

Really sad and upset to hear he's gone. 

I was lucky enough to be there when the crowd ran onto the pitch after we clinched promotion against Forfar at Firhill in 1992. That moment was the ultimate feeling of absolute joy as a Thistle fan after 10 years in the wilderness and John Lambie made that happen. He was responsible for so many great Thistle occassions and I can't thank him enough for all the good times he brought to our club.

• Like 3

• Very sad news.  I would echo Partickthedog's suggestion that the north stand should be named after him.  He did more for the club than anyone in my time, and probably saved us from oblivion by avoiding a third successive relegation and getting us back up the leagues.  He added 1000 to the gate the first game he was back as manager, which says volumes about him.  Something extraordinary should be done to recognise his contribution to the club and his  larger than life character.

Like everyone on here i'm so sad to know he'll not be in the dugout again, we could do with a good paint stripper. So many memories and funny stories. Surely someone can pull a book together. 

So glad i kept the Lambinni and Chico podcast from the bbc from a few seasons back. Still has me in stitches.

Bless you John Lambie, you brought my family and i nothing but happiness.

Edited by Guest
Spelling mistook

If anyone fancies it, I'm hosting a Grasping The Thistle watch back, at 9pm tonight over on Twitter.

Everyone press play at 9pm and we can chat and have a laugh on the hashtag #graspingthethistle

Part 1 is here...

Warning, there will probably be floods of tears at the end of part 4 as he stands in his dookit tending his pigeons .

• Like 1

during my time in fleet street, i interviewed all manner of people - nicklaus and palmer...borg and mcenroe...korbut and comaneci...matthews and finney... - but my laughter-filled afternoon with the Great One at estadio firhill in 1988 still brings a smile to my face. one of the funniest and nicest men to ever step on a football pitch.  

• Like 1