John Lambie

AlgarveJag

Think we all knew this day was coming sooner rather than later but it is still gut wrenching.  In Lambini speak he grabbed the club by the f*cking nuts and pulled it back from the brink. The back to back promotion seasons can only be bettered by 23/10/71.  Don't think anyone can believe that he managed that after the trauma of what had happened to the club. Have some great memories of chatting to him at POTY dances. A real down to earth character. Hopefully it will be drummed into the players that it is essential that we don't go down in the year that we lost the great man. The renaming of the North Stand to the John Lambie Stand is a great shout and hopefully the board will take it on board. RIP gaffer!

• Like 1

I used to go to the Caley and county games up north John could always be seen smoking a big cigar doing the team lines in the front of the coach by himself spoke with him a few times always happy to have a bleather about the game ahead and our chances would come out with a funny wee pun about the  players needing to pull out a result 

I remember when we won the league was sat inn the caley Park and we Had a singsong with John leading us all never going to be another like him RIP JL a true jags legend 

John Lambie gave me the best memories as a PTFC fan , the singalong at Forfar , behind him at the dugout at Methil when he called Trigger “ a big  fcking Jessie “ , the great players he managed Shaggie, Archie , Chic , Hardie , Kinnaird etc

Thanks for everything RIP

And when you thought this season couldn't get any worse along comes this.

RIP John, and many, many thanks for the many great days you gave us, particularly that run from January 95 when we looked dead and buried.

In December 95 after JL had taken the Falkirk shilling, I was doing some work for one of George Fulston's companies (then the Falkirk Chairman). He knew I'm a Jagsman and was invited to a sportsman's dinner and sat me next to the man himself. Had a great night with my personal JL interview, which I will always treasure. Two things from that night - I got the impression that he already then regretted having left the Jags for Falkirk, and in answer to whom he considered to be his best ever signing for Thistle, he was unequivocal - Nicky Walker.

He was open with a lot of other stuff as well that night, but that'll be for another time and another thread.

Thank you John Lambie.

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 1

Mr John Lambie. RIP.  Sad day.

Remember getting my picture taken with the 1st Division trophy all those years ago and turned round and the great man was standing there just watching and beaming with pride as another Jags fan was delighted with getting their hands on the trophy and knowing we were back in the big time after such a horrendous period in our history.

Looking at the present, it is bad, but let's be thankful we still have Thistle to follow.

Mon the Jags.  Let's get these 5 games in the bag.

:ph34r::ptfc:

• Like 2

For at least twenty years I'd supported thistle and the worst John Lambie year was still better than all the rest. He had such an influence. 

Never met him properly, but as a nobody kid in a Thistle scarf he'd never go by me without saying hello. That's what makes a person. So, RIP. I'm not inclined to heroes but he will always be one.

Edited by allyo
  • Like 1

So many great tributes here for the great man. He deserves every one of them, and more. A fine player, a great manager, funny, serious, humble.

Condolences to his immediate family and friends, and condolences to the extended Thistle family, as we've all lost a major figure.

Thanks for the memories JL; they won't fade easily, and they will inspire.

Hard to add to what has already been said. The man was a hero, a legend, and the absolute embodiment of everything that is fantastic and ridiculous about Thistle and Scottish football. 

I felt incredibly sad today at the passing of this great man, and desperately sad for his family. At times like this you also, though, realise how much of your own life and memories are wrapped up in this daft football club we all spent daft amounts of money on and devote daft amounts of time to. Thistle have given me some of the happiest moments of my life (something anyone who isn’t a Thistle fan will of course find absurd) and John Lambie is responsible for so many of those.

To bring so much joy to so many people, and to forever be remembered for the happiness you’ve brought to people’s lives and the memories you’ve helped create. What a man and what a legacy. 

• Like 3

To be honest, should the manager stay or go is on the back burner for at least one game for me, next game should be all about honouring Lambie, and it might just be the inspiration we need to begin to get ourselves out of this mess.

Lets turn up in numbers to honour the great man and give the team a chance. Would be great IMO to see ex players there in their droves as guests of the club as well. Lets make it a day to remember and to send Lambie out the right way.

Hope we get so much more than just a minutes silence and a dedicated match programme. As someone else said, without JL there wouldn't be a North Stand and I feel it would be fitting to see it named after him.