Brechin City v Champions League

BowenBoys

For the attention of partickthedog & eljaggo only. The destination of the Brechin Spoon is at stake.

Guess the aggregate scores for each match below.

Looking at each pair of matches, I want to know whether the aggregate score in the Brechin game will be Higher, Equal or Lower than its paired Champions League match. One point for each correct answer.

Dunfermline Athletic v Brechin City
Liverpool v Roma

Brechin City v Dundee United
Bayern Munich v Real Madrid

Livingston v Brechin City
Real Madrid v Bayern Munich

Brechin City v Queen Of The South
Roma v Liverpool

First answer needed by 3pm tomorrow. Post on forum or by PM.

The matches are out of sync. Brechin play 14, 17, 21 & 28 April. CL matches 24,25 April & 1,2 May. Will update on 25 April with final result on 2 May.

1 hour ago, eljaggo said:

Brilliant BB.

Tricky, but I think Brechin v Dundee U will have a higher score.  Roma/catenachia might keep score in that match down.

I presume you don't want the rest of the predictions at the moment.

BB, thank you for bringing some excitement to the end of my season, and EJ, thank you for being a good sport, when even with the aid of snookers I would never caught up with your total.

Interesting connection here is that Andy Robertson of Liverpool played for Dundee United and I suspect that in his former Queens Park days he will have played at Glebe Park. Lovely venue with the churchyard, the hedge and the horse (with its Mane, going Klipp Klopp) in the nearby field. On that basis I expect Liverpool to be inspired and put several past Roma, so its Liverpool v Roma for me. Let battle commence!

25 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

5ad227dfc5821_ScreenShot2018-04-14at17_07_03.png.e0ffe75fb0d2e94eb59dd0a559f02b76.png

On we go. City v Arabs higher, equal or lower than Bayern v Real?

Deadline 7.45pm Tuesday.

Think we got our Dundee  U and Dunfermline a wee bit mixed up there but not too worry, that"s all DUN now. Still have confidence that Mo Salah and the lads will do the business.

I am going for the Angus derby between Brechin and Dundee U to produce more goals than Bayern v Real which I think will be a cagey affair.

19 hours ago, eljaggo said:

Some excitement to the end of your season!  Have you seen the league table recently?

I was thinking about the Cup which tends to be rather dull once Thistle (whom failing any wee team that I like) are out.  Agreed that the League will have more than enough excitement. My powers of prediction have proved to be total garbage so far,  but I do have this sneaky feeling that we will overhaul 2 teams on the run in.

It seems fitting that this desperate competition has a prize.  No Brechin City wooden spoon available, unfortunately. So, from the Brechin City shop:

For the winner, a Brechin City bottle opener "to celebrate another (!) City win"

For the loser, Brechin City air freshener "to mask the stench of defeat"

Quoted comments from the Brechin City online shop (apart from the !)

Now this is serious...

Edited by BowenBoys

4 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

It seems fitting that this desperate competition has a prize.  No Brechin City wooden spoon available, unfortunately. So, from the Brechin City shop:

For the winner, a Brechin City bottle opener "to celebrate another (!) City win"

For the loser, Brechin City air freshener "to mask the stench of defeat"

Quoted comments from the Brechin City online shop (apart from the !)

Now this is serious...

Now the pressure is on.

By the way, as Scottish football is involved, we are allowed to make up the rules as we go along. I propose the following:

1) The contestants are honour bound to choose different outcomes from each other for each game. Otherwise the leader after the third round could end the contest by just choosing the same result as the other contestant for the last game.

2) Rule 1 of the SPFL BB Brechin Spoon Rule Book as outlined above gives a slight advantage to the contestant choosing first as the first chooser has all 3 options available, whereas the second chooser only has 2 options left. EJ chose first for Dunfermline whereas I chose first for Dundee U. Therefore I propose ABAB, meaning EJ chooses first for the third game and I choose first for the last game. However, if EJ/BB prefer ABBA I will not argue. The winner takes it all!

I did ask Neil Doncaster to arbitrate on the above. However, I am still awaiting a response as apparently he has had to take legal advice and convene a meeting of the SPFL Board to determine whether either of the Old Firm is prejudiced in any way by my proposals, in which case they will of course be ruled out of order, though if the ruling is made in retrospect the winner of the competition will not have to hand back their trophy.

Edited by partickthedog
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Now the pressure is on.

By the way, as Scottish football is involved, we are allowed to make up the rules as we go along. I propose the following:

1) The contestants are honour bound to choose different outcomes from each other for each game. Otherwise the leader after the third round could end the contest by just choosing the same result as the other contestant for the last game.

2) Rule 1 of the SPFL BB Brechin Spoon Rule Book as outlined above gives a slight advantage to the contestant choosing first as the first chooser has all 3 options available, whereas the second chooser only has 2 options left. EJ chose first for Dunfermline whereas I chose first for Dundee U. Therefore I propose ABAB, meaning EJ chooses first for the third game and I choose first for the last game. However, if EJ/BB prefer ABBA I will not argue. The winner takes it all!

I did ask Neil Doncaster to arbitrate on the above. However, I am still awaiting a response as apparently he has had to take legal advice and convene a meeting of the SPFL Board to determine whether either of the Old Firm is prejudiced in any way by my proposals, in which case they will of course be ruled out of order, though if the ruling is made in retrospect the winner of the competition will not have to hand back their trophy.

You should apply for the top job at SFA.

• Like 1

It's his only chance of success.

Rules agreed as stated above, but winner cannot take all -  he cannot get the bottle opener and the air freshener despite the obvious link between the use of the bottle opener and the later need for an air freshener.

Edited by eljaggo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, eljaggo said:

It's his only chance of success.

Rules agreed as stated above, but winner cannot take all -  he cannot get the bottle opener and the air freshener despite the obvious link between the use of the bottle opener and the later need for an air freshener.

Trash talk always happens when a big title is up for grabs.

9 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

There's a pattern developing here...

Alas, Brechin City have sold out of bottle openers. Or perhaps I should say, their bottle has gone. Now for the winner, a pack of Brechin City playing cards (probably contains 11 jokers).

Sounds a good deal to me. Can use these to play Bridge with Chris Erskine.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

There's a pattern developing here...

Alas, Brechin City have sold out of bottle openers. Or perhaps I should say, their bottle has gone. Now for the winner, a pack of Brechin City playing cards (probably contains 11 jokers).

Maybe en masse they've taken to strong drink.  Who can blame them.

1 hour ago, BowenBoys said:

5adcf073eceb4_ScreenShot2018-04-22at21_26_21.png.362309055e75ce31ee4d97dd25795f34.png

One round to go.

First point may or may not be awarded on Tuesday. The second (or first (or not)), on Wednesday. Whose idea was this...?

BB, I would never accuse you of having a Brechin Bad idea. 

I think it is my turn to make the choice as regards Brechin v QOTS. Last game of the season, has 0-0 written all over it. Brechin pick up their 5th point, so finish level with Calvin. Definitely more goals will be scored in Roma  v Liverpool. 

I think Brechin will throw caution to the wind, remember their glory days and play 2-3-5, and score a barrowload of goals.  Meanwhile in Rome, having scored an away goal in the draw at Liverpool, Roma will pack their defence and go through on away goals after a 0-0 draw. So fewer goals will be scored in Roma v Liverpool.

Edited by eljaggo