Motherwell

One t in Scotland

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

Worse than that - suddenly our game against them becomes harder as all of their players will want to prove they should be in the team for the final.

Well done to Motherwell, they deserved it today.

or want to avoid injury or suspensions?

Agree they bossed Aberdeen all day, doubt if Mcinnes will be there next season

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Worse than that - suddenly our game against them becomes harder as all of their players will want to prove they should be in the team for the final.

1 hour ago, Wayfarer said:

or want to avoid injury or suspensions?

Interesting. Merit in both opinions.

Unless you value the difference between 7th and 8th place Motherwell's season would've been effectively over if they'd got beaten today.  Tend to think they won't risk players carrying knocks but they're such an up and at 'em team I can't really see them just going thru the motions. I suspect they'd be up for the Accies game regardless but apart from that I can't see any difference today's result makes as whatever their attitude it'll be the same for our rivals.

Motherwell players didn't give Aberdeen a minute to settle.   We did slightly better in a couple of games against them this season ( still only getting 1 point )  but normally Aberdeen defenders don't even have to wash their shirts after they've played us.

If you cast your eye down the league we are by far the least physical side in it. Putting aside their ability as footballers players like Lawless, Erskine, Doolan, Spittal etc are not physical players and will invariably lose out in a tussle for a 50/50 ball.  Despite his size, if I was a defender I would rather play against Sammon than Curtis Main any day of the week.

The Scottish Premier League is a physical league and this factor could contribute to our current position.

I can't remember if it's two or three times that Motherwell have not been relegated from the top League despite finishing bottom.  They escaped the drop because Falkirk didn't meet the SPL Stadium criteria but the following season voted to relegate Thistle when Inverness didn't have a  compliant stadium...and Motherewell were in Administration.

They have benefited from being a favoured club whereas Thistle have had to take their medicine so it's hardly surprising that they have had a little more success...and our record in Cup games has been  absolutely abysmal for the past 40 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Winter of '63 said:

I can't remember if it's two or three times that Motherwell have not been relegated from the top League despite finishing bottom.  They escaped the drop because Falkirk didn't meet the SPL Stadium criteria but the following season voted to relegate Thistle when Inverness didn't have a  compliant stadium...and Motherewell were in Administration.

They have benefited from being a favoured club whereas Thistle have had to take their medicine so it's hardly surprising that they have had a little more success...and our record in Cup games has been  absolutely abysmal for the past 40 years.

I believe it's three times in my life the "Motherwell Rule" has applied, tho' for most on here it'll only be twice. The 2nd time (of my my three) was the occasion when they were kept up primarily as they had a healthy away support. That is no lie.

Its more important to get our own house in order first before we talk of other sides. If we weren't constantly floating around the bottom who gives a feck how Motherwell voted. Why is it a joke to set our sights on getting into Europe............we've got a losers culture at Firhill we must put an end to.......to celebrate a league cup win in 1971......a league cup.... a diddy cup if you like. this is what were reduced to, this the true definition of  what is meant by a losers culture.........even Clyde.....Clyde... scabby Clyde have got a better record. I said it a few month ago There is an even worse manager than  Archie and that is McInnes, and therein lies the Danger of when Archie gets pumped as he surely must, we could end up with another clown with a certificate from Largs    

45 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

As long as the likes of Devine and Barton don't think that "hardworking and aggressive" means getting themselves sent off.

Of all the things that Adam Barton can be accused of, being hard working and aggressive are fairly low down the list.

• Like 1

I saw the Motherwell goals last night. Every one was a big kick up the park and picked off the scraps, great when it comes off but brutal football to watch. Livi proved years ago that a tall and powerful teams do well in Scotland, but I don’t know if I could watch that style of play every week. I’m sure though that there won’t be a single unhappy Motherwell fan anywhere to be found right now.

19 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

I saw the Motherwell goals last night. Every one was a big kick up the park and picked off the scraps, great when it comes off but brutal football to watch. Livi proved years ago that a tall and powerful teams do well in Scotland, but I don’t know if I could watch that style of play every week. I’m sure though that there won’t be a single unhappy Motherwell fan anywhere to be found right now.

Being in 2 cup finals and maybe Europe would definitely compensate for not watching the ball being played on deck to feet in a continuous side to side motion

16 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

I’d watch any style of football to see us in a Scottish Cup final :wacko:

I’m so jealous of Motherwell. I know they’ve been ‘fortunate’ avoiding a few relegations but I remember when they went down in the 80’s they bounced straight back up. They don’t have a much bigger core home support than us, but they can beat the OF, get to cup finals and even win some, compete occasionally near the top of the table, even get in to Europe on occasion and more importantly sustain top flight football. They even sign some players and move them on at a decent profit. How can they do this? Yes I know about administration in the past, but that was a while back now.

21 minutes ago, jaggy said:

I’d watch any style of football to see us in a Scottish Cup final :wacko:

I’m so jealous of Motherwell. I know they’ve been ‘fortunate’ avoiding a few relegations but I remember when they went down in the 80’s they bounced straight back up. They don’t have a much bigger core home support than us, but they can beat the OF, get to cup finals and even win some, compete occasionally near the top of the table, even get in to Europe on occasion and more importantly sustain top flight football. They even sign some players and move them on at a decent profit. How can they do this? Yes I know about administration in the past, but that was a while back now.

So let me get this straight. You would be happy with Thistle in the playoffs one season as long as they got to a cup final a couple of seasons later ?

10 hours ago, sabbath said:

Its more important to get our own house in order first before we talk of other sides. If we weren't constantly floating around the bottom who gives a feck how Motherwell voted. Why is it a joke to set our sights on getting into Europe............we've got a losers culture at Firhill we must put an end to.......to celebrate a league cup win in 1971......a league cup.... a diddy cup if you like. this is what were reduced to, this the true definition of  what is meant by a losers culture.........even Clyde.....Clyde... scabby Clyde have got a better record. I said it a few month ago There is an even worse manager than  Archie and that is McInnes, and therein lies the Danger of when Archie gets pumped as he surely must, we could end up with another clown with a certificate from Largs    

You realise that the league cup only became known as the Diddy cup once winning it didn’t give you qualification for Europe ?

4 hours ago, ClydebankJag said:

I watched the full game.Yes they got the luck,first could have been stopped because of possible handball and second maybe a bit off a push on Aberdeen defender.They also pressed and closed Aberdeen down and after they went 1-0 up were the much better team.As has already been said if we want to stay up this season we have to show the same fight and be organised as well as they were and also take our chances.

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

So let me get this straight. You would be happy with Thistle in the playoffs one season as long as they got to a cup final a couple of seasons later ?

Having watched Thistle for close to 50 years I'd take relegation if it meant a Scottish Cup Final, cos at this rate I'm unlikely to see it happen in my lifetime. Also, at this moment in time i'd be happy with the play-offs this season. Motherwell have been in the top league for what? 30 seasons or more? (yes we know they should have been relegated during that time) so 1 play off (in which they humped the rangers) is hardly a disaster. Remember they also won the Scottish Cup and finished 2nd in the league in that time as well. Like I said, why can they do (and others as well) what we can't?

2 hours ago, jaggy said:

Having watched Thistle for close to 50 years I'd take relegation if it meant a Scottish Cup Final, cos at this rate I'm unlikely to see it happen in my lifetime. Also, at this moment in time i'd be happy with the play-offs this season. Motherwell have been in the top league for what? 30 seasons or more? (yes we know they should have been relegated during that time) so 1 play off (in which they humped the rangers) is hardly a disaster. Remember they also won the Scottish Cup and finished 2nd in the league in that time as well. Like I said, why can they do (and others as well) what we can't?

It is certainly a different view from some who expect us to be challenging in the top 1/2 season after season, and probably wouldn’t accept a cup final for a place in the top league. 

I have watched Thistle for over 50 years, but I have to say I have no envy of other clubs, and while I want us to be consistently good I can accept that from time to time we won’t be.

Edited by Lenziejag

45 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

It is certainly a different view from some who expect us to be challenging in the top 1/2 season after season, and probably wouldn’t accept a cup final for a place in the top league. 

I have watched Thistle for over 50 years, but I have to say I have no envy of other clubs, and while I want us to be consistently good I can accept that from time to time we won’t be.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Like you, I can accept that on occasion we'll not be good, but I'm not sure we should be so accepting of a relegation this season (should it come to that - and we all hope it doesn't) given the power of work that the club and Archie have put in to get us to this point since Campbell was finally bagged on 27th March 2007.