Hamilton

Paukea

37 minutes ago, allyo said:

I can see the point in the manager critically evaluating the team's performance. That's his job. I'm not convinced that my critical evaluation will benefit the team greatly. 

I'm just saying that as fans I reckon our greatest potential contribution is through positive support. 

Obviously im not saying the fans can't criticise, that's anyone's right. But just a thought for whether our contributions are having a positive or negative effect on what we all want to happen.

You could say I'm critically evaluating our performance as fans. Or you could say I'm slightly Stalinist.

I don’t know if any fan comment affects the team either way but I don’t think comments on a fans forum should always be positive .....now that is Stalinist ! Particularly when you might be agreeing with the manager himself 

but the suggestion that fans can’t criticize the team only praise is bizarre

i also think some people think that some fans spent their time critising the team during the game because they post critical comments here .... I don’t for example but I don’t criticize people who do that’s their right 

fans are entitled to their views and opinions and should not be forced to blindly support the club no matter what especially in a disappointing season

• Like 1

Now on a positive note......

i said before today that two key things were important : the attitude of the players and the midfield area......you could tell the players were up for the game which bodes well for the next 4 games .....erskine was a shining example of this ...l

secondly Archie made a big call in not playing osman which was right at the moment woods would be a starter for me and made good subs which helped our momentum 

keown continues to be a concern if you watch the reply some of his passing was very poor 

and cerny being back should not be underestimated!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Col said:

Thought Chris Erskine was excellent today. Really surprised he didn't get MOTM. Today was the easiest game of the five and as other posters say, it was a deserved win. I imagine Accies fans are really concerned tonight - they were dreadful today.

Coming away from Firhill I heard some Accies fans saying they are fed up with the same things happening every week.Thats 6 defeats in a row for them.They are at home to County next week,think a draw would be the best result for us in that one.

That was a gutsy performance in really a must win game and gives me confidence for the remainder of the season. Erskine and Doolan truly led by example. Support was excellent. Heard canning saying barn door penalty first half- couldn’t see it from where I was sitting. How the accies player didn’t get a red for that foul on erskine, I’ll never know. Cmon Jags!

Maybe we have a right to be critical, but the term supporter suggests to me that we should be encouraging the players.

As far as the game is concerned, I thought that McArthy took care of Templeton really well on the whole in the 1st half. We were well on top for the 1st 30 mins. Hamilton got back into it and scored from a bit of poor defending and a decent finish.

At the start of the 2nd half, I thought we had given up, but the introduction of Sammon lifted the players. Dools placement of the header was magnificent. Erskine did well to lift his legs at the 2nd. On another day that could have been given as offside. 

I don’t think there were any failures today. Woods would maybe my motm, or Doolan just for the 1st goal.

I thought the reception for John Lambies Family was excellent. Well done Jags fans

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Today we won a game of football deservedly. For the glass half empty crew a 2-1 win at home to Accies is the absolute minimum a club aspiring to stay in the division requires. For the glass half full brigade we showed a lot of fight, probably got the team selection correct with successful substitutions both in selection and timing.  One thing for near certain I doubt we did enough today to turn the pessimists into optimists but at least at the same time the optimists will not have their positivity dented.  That's about it.

I'm now pessimistically optimistic 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

That's a poor poor substitution Archie.

Now we go long ball for the rest of the game, which Hamilton will be delighted about.

Totally wrong here.  It changed the game, Sammon should have started. We didn't go long ball and nice play to the feet of him an a number of occasions.

Edited by dunmorejag
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dunmorejag said:

Totally wrong here.  It changed the game, Sammon should have started. We didn't go long ball and nice play to the feet of him an a number of occasions.

I think if Doolan came of when Sammon came on we might have seen a long ball game.But with the first 2 subs imo it won us the game.

I thought the key was unlocking accies stuffy shape, and wasn't sure that a big extra striker was the key. But totally agree, it changed the game in our favour.

This football management malarkey isn't as straightforward as some would have you believe.

1 hour ago, dunmorejag said:

Sammon coming on helped change the game. That doesn't mean because a substitute is effective the manager was wrong in his team selection.  in fact it would probably be more than a bit risky playing that narrow from the start. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Sammon coming on helped change the game. That doesn't mean because a substitute is effective the manager was wrong in his team selection.  in fact it would probably be more than a bit risky playing that narrow from the start. 

In a must win game I would argue that you have to take a risk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dunmorejag said:

I don't agree that Conor should have started, but I will agree that I misread the intention of the substitution.

I honestly thought we would go long ball after that, especially considering that Stevie - whose link play is normally a feature of our better performances - was taken off to make way for him. As you say though,  there were a number of occasions where Conor's feet and touch were brought into the game for ultimate benefit.

Very very happy to have been proven wrong on that one.

Edited by Barney Rubble

44 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

It is a bit difficult to win that argument given that the tactics/strategy used did actually win the game.

Maybe we would have been ahead at half time with Sammon on from the start. A one goal lead with 20 minutes to go is not a situation which would fill  most Jags fans with confidence I would suggest. Anyway the main thing is we got the win.

Watched the game on Alba and have to say we deserved to win. Canning reckoned it was a stone wall penalty, having watched it back i dont understand how the ref doesnt give it. I would certainly have been unhappy if it wasnt given for us.

Archie said our defending for their goal was poor. I would go as far as to say Keown's 'challenge' was diabolical. He allowed Templeton into the box and all the time in the world to pick his spot.

What can you say about Doolan that hasnt already been said. Even though he had acres of space he didnt panic and placed it to perfection. Delighted he has got his 100th league goal and hope he can kick on and get into double figures to drag us out of this mess.

The John Lambie Stand looked and sounded great as well. Lets hope we can keep grinding out these results over the next few weeks

• Like 1

I’d start with exact same team on Saturday. I’ve slated Archie recently but on Saturday he got the set up, tactics and subs bang on.

He played guys that appreciate this club (Doolan, Erskine, Elliot, Booth), hungry guys ( Spittal McCarthy), and guys with some fight and passion. That starting 11 with sammon and Edwards power speed and strength coming on will get us out a hole.

He showed tons of guts dropping the captain who’s been crap and looks disinterested for a kid in McCarthy 

• Like 2

There was a genuinely supportive atmosphere ,  I was pleased with the side Archie picked, we came back from losing a goal and won 3 absolutely crucial points. I was however less upbeat about the day than I might have been.  We probably deserved the win  and Hamilton were not particularly good but the key substitution was Templeton going off - apart from the goal he was involved in creating four clear chances with our defence posted missing.  

In the previous four seasons, I thought we were clearly a better side than several in the Division and didn't think we deserved to be relegated...I'm not sure that's true this season.  Cerny, Erskine & Doolan  are still good players  but getting older, Osman, Dumbuya & Barton are  no longer the assets they were and Bannigan may never recover.  Booth is a decent full back and McCarthy looks very promising but pretty much the rest of the squad is of a standard which is likely to struggle to avoid relegation. We pass the ball quite well but it is a repeating pattern that we get into good attacking positions but don't make many chances. Sammon did ok but his clumsy touch when Erskine put him through shows he is not the solution.

I still think we have a reasonable chance of avoiding the drop mainly because the other sides are not any better than us . If we stay up, we will have to find a way to improve.

• Like 2

Yes they might have had a penalty,they had chances to go 2-0 up,but we showed fight and determination and came back from a goal down to win.We will need to show the same attitude in the remaining games and take our chances the way we did in the second half yesterday.Do that and I think we will finish 10th with Hamilton in the play off spot and County relegated.

Never thought I'd see the day when a linesman would make a decision all by himself but WTF was that clown of a Ref doing playing the game on with Hamilton in possession. If that had led to an equaliser I think I'd have ran on the park myself, and another thing how did the Hamilton boy stay on the park after scything down Erskine? the ref was that close if he'd missed Erskine He'd have kicked the Ref.... No wonder Scottish Footballs a shambles, how does a clown like that get promoted to take on big games.......