Hamilton

Paukea

I posted once before about somebody I know who worked with SFA referees; attended matches, and met with the refs the following week. He told me that the priority was the ref's "body language," i.e., making him look entirely confident about his decisions, never wavering, showing who's boss...... whether he actually got decisions right was secondary.

19 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I don’t think reviewing incidents would kill the game. However, at the moment there is no accountability for wrong decisions. Referees don’t have to explain controversial decisions. The authorities rarely criticise them. Managers get fined for their criticism. Shoulders are shrugged and people say that’s football.

It shouldn’t be that way in this day and age

Nor do player who make the wrong pass or miss a vital tackle or Managers who send out the wrong tactics or make a bad substitution. Why should the referees be singled out ?

As Allyo said, I am dead against VAR. If you kill the debatable decision, you kill the debate. The2 great joys in supporting Thistle (and many other teams) is firstly being able to talk about a 90 minute game 4 days after it was played and secondly being able to have a good moan. I do think that most football supporters like an excuse for a good moan and I honestly can't see the pleasure in following a team where you are expecting to win every week. I went to Man City v Bournmouth with my nephew. It ended 5-0 and was as boring as a week in the jail.

17 hours ago, eljaggo said:

As a big step towards improving refereeing decisions, assistant referees need to take on more responsibility.  Compared to their rugby counterparts, they shirk bringing offences to the attention of the referee, and don't act nearly enough as a second and third pair of eyes.  If they did take more resonsibility, referees would consult them much more and the game would be better for it. 

I can't decide whether VARs are good or bad, (use available technology v. life's imperfect) but don't believe that the delays they cause should be a factor in the decision to use them - cricket review delays are actually enjoyed by spectators.

Totally agree about assistant refs, in rugby they are much more involved and the refereeing 'team' works well together (although errors do get made). Even in England the assistants are much more involved than here.

I think VAR is a step forward, at the moment there are teething problems but I watch a bit of the A league and its used there and is pretty well managed and delays minimised.

Two big decisions went our way. No penalty and not ruling our goal offside - if the goalie had dived for Edwards shot I think the goal would not have been given. 

Looked at the pen claim and it looks like there was contact with player and Cerny. Though not sure why the player is not claiming it! 

Our goal is a bit of a mess as well. It's worrying as it's clear the back two are not working but we don't have many options to change it. Archie made a huge mistake not bringing in a center back in the window. 

Elliott makes a mistake for the goal and Keown makes a poor effect to block Templeton. What the hell is Woods doing though? He should be protecting his defense but he has not positioned himself properly. Even when the ball breaks to Templeton he does not try to get across to help Keown. 

Archie has some big decisions regarding team selection for Saturday's match. 

18 hours ago, eljaggo said:

I don't know what instructions referees/asst. refs are given or what is agreed between them  (which may vary by referee).   But surely three sets of eyes are better than one and referees should be big enough to accept advice, and asst. refs be given every encouragement to offer it. 

A friend of mine was an assistant in SPL games a few years back. He flagged for a foul the Ref had missed. The ref stopped the game and came over to him, he said "everyone thinks that I am coming over hear to consult you, they are wrong. If you raise that flag again for anything other than a throw-in or offside, I am going to ram it up your a*@e!"

He restarted with a bounce ball. I do not know how prevalent that attitude was among our senior referees.

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Nor do player who make the wrong pass or miss a vital tackle or Managers who send out the wrong tactics or make a bad substitution. Why should the referees be singled out ?

As Allyo said, I am dead against VAR. If you kill the debatable decision, you kill the debate. The2 great joys in supporting Thistle (and many other teams) is firstly being able to talk about a 90 minute game 4 days after it was played and secondly being able to have a good moan. I do think that most football supporters like an excuse for a good moan and I honestly can't see the pleasure in following a team where you are expecting to win every week. I went to Man City v Bournmouth with my nephew. It ended 5-0 and was as boring as a week in the jail.

I singled out referees precisely because of the bit you highlighted in my post - because they have no accountability. Players and managers suffer from their mistakes by losing pay or job.

12 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

He told me that the priority was the ref's "body language," i.e., making him look entirely confident about his decisions, never wavering, showing who's boss...... whether he actually got decisions right was secondary.

Aren't a relatively high proportion of Scottish refs lawyers?

5 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

Two big decisions went our way. No penalty and not ruling our goal offside - if the goalie had dived for Edwards shot I think the goal would not have been given. 

Looked at the pen claim and it looks like there was contact with player and Cerny. Though not sure why the player is not claiming it! 

Our goal is a bit of a mess as well. It's worrying as it's clear the back two are not working but we don't have many options to change it. Archie made a huge mistake not bringing in a center back in the window. 

Elliott makes a mistake for the goal and Keown makes a poor effect to block Templeton. What the hell is Woods doing though? He should be protecting his defense but he has not positioned himself properly. Even when the ball breaks to Templeton he does not try to get across to help Keown. 

Archie has some big decisions regarding team selection for Saturday's match. 

He did. Cargil. It's just not a consistant partnership.

We do need to look at the defence in close season, there's nothing can be done meantime and i've no doubt archie know he's got a problem there. Be positive

4 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

And look at the forwards as well? 

BBC gossip column is quoting the Edinburgh Evening News that Sammon is to be given a chance to resurrect his career at Tynecastle next season.

Regardless of this, we need to look at forwards. And midfield. Big job on in the summer.

17 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

And look at the forwards as well? 

BBC gossip column is quoting the Edinburgh Evening News that Sammon is to be given a chance to resurrect his career at Tynecastle next season.

Hearts have already signed 2 forwards on pre contract for next season.Would be surprised if Sammon is not let go.His form for us will have alerted other clubs as well.

Have it on good authority that Mr Beaton was marked down by the ref supervisor for not giving the penalty on Sat and for not red carding the Hamilton player who haufed Erskine at the end.

So they do get pulled up for errors, but we don't get told about it.

29 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Have it on good authority that Mr Beaton was marked down by the ref supervisor for not giving the penalty on Sat and for not red carding the Hamilton player who haufed Erskine at the end.

So they do get pulled up for errors, but we don't get told about it.

Aye but who are the referee supervisors?

Ive never trusted linesmen since April 1979 (Bobby Houston).

Better off without them! And certainly no more powers.

Rugby linesmen hide as well. It’s usually the tv ref that interferes which interrupts play constantly and takes far too long to decide. As for VAR......

• Haha 1

On 4/26/2018 at 2:22 AM, michael m said:

The ref supervisor on Saturday was Euan Norris - a former grade 1 ref

This is completely of academic interest only something that a number of us were talking about after today's game. The incident as it happens.....

St Johnstone, a goal to the good, and the ball goes out of play for a throw in.

The St Johnstone player follows the ball out of play. It's our throw in but that's largely academic. The St Johnstone player from an out of play situation boots the ball fifty or so yards down the pitch after both flag up and whistle . The referee reaction is to award the throw in to us and NOT yellow card the St J player. Can anyone explain a situation how that can occur and the player booting the ball away from outside the playing area not be booked?

BTW The ref today was more than decent, only guilty of maybe not allowing advantage rule, but I don't believe I've ever seen a situation where a booking was so unavoidable than this incident.  Really weird.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

In a similar vein, we had a foul awarded just outside our box, but the ball broke high downfield.

Anderson saw it coming and deliberately headed it away to the left and further downfield, thereby wasting more time.

None of the (highly paid) officials did anything to punish such blatant time wasting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

This is completely of academic interest only something that a number of us were talking about after today's game. The incident as it happens.....

St Johnstone, a goal to the good, and the ball goes out of play for a throw in.

The St Johnstone player follows the ball out of play. It's our throw in but that's largely academic. The St Johnstone player from an out of play situation boots the ball fifty or so yards down the pitch after both flag up and whistle . The referee reaction is to award the throw in to us and NOT yellow card the St J player. Can anyone explain a situation how that can occur and the player booting the ball away from outside the playing area not be booked?

BTW The ref today was more than decent, only guilty of maybe not allowing advantage rule, but I don't believe I've ever seen a situation where a booking was so unavoidable than this incident.  Really weird.

I wasn’t able to get to Perth today but did head along to see Clydebank play. In that game a Kilwinning player did exactly the same, following the ball off the park kicking it far away, the referee immediately booked the Kilwinning player and pretty much put a stop to any future delaying tactics. It’s crazy that low level referees are better at addressing the rules of the game than those at the  very top of the tree in Scottish football.