Ross County 4/5/18

Auld Jag

What way should we play? Should we attack from the off or try and get them on the break? A thistle win would all but relegate county and mean the worst we could do would be the play off place. But if we won this game I would hope the players confidence would be high and we could get a victory against Motherwell which would put us in a good position to get 10th.Lets hope for a very good home support and that we can recreate another John Lambie day atmosphere.

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 1

Get the fastest players on the pitch from the start, and play a quick passing game as we did until a few seasons ago.  County are slow, and if we try to punt long high balls to a lone striker we will fail.  Not sure about the best two central defenders, but with Cerny, Elliot and Booth plus a midfield of Woods, McCarthy, Erskine, Edwards and Storey, with Doolan up front.

Auld Jag,

Thanks for posting this, it is about time we were talking about it!

In my opinion, this is amongst the most important games in the history of PTFC.

It is so important to us to retain our Premier League status, both from a financial and a directional idea.  Are we a genuine Premier League team or not?

I think we are, but this, this is very, very scary. 

A win would take us away from the automatic relegation spot, a draw would be unhelpful and  a loss might, just might, mean that we were  relegated. I hope fans turn up in their thousands, for supporting the club right now is critical.

Looking at our games and Hamiltons games, they are there to be run down, if we are good enough!

I have high hopes for Friday, and I will be there shouting and bawling!

We've got to go for a win - anything less and we're in the bottom 2. It's not a game for playing it cautiously and letting the opposition have the ball. Get right about them from the off. I watched them play Accies last week and they were woeful.

Rather than starting with the same 11 that started the last 2 games, let's start with the 11 that finished the Hamilton game (assuming no injuries). That was a strong side.

C'mon the Jags!

1 hour ago, douglas clark said:

Auld Jag,

It is so important to us to retain our Premier League status, both from a financial and a directional idea.  Are we a genuine Premier League team or not?

A win would take us away from the automatic relegation spot, a draw would be unhelpful and  a loss might, just might, mean that we were  relegated. I hope fans turn up in their thousands, for supporting the club right now is critical.

Looking at our games and Hamiltons games, they are there to be run down, if we are good enough!

I have high hopes for Friday, and I will be there shouting and bawling

Fully agree with your analysis Douglas, especially the bits in bold.

I expect Archie will have been drumming this into the players all week.

Team picks itself for me assuming all fit and available:

Cerny

Elliott               Keown             Cargill              Booth

Woods           McCarthy

Edwards                 Erskine

Sammon             Dools

It's a 4-2-2-2, because both goalscorers need to be on the park from the outset.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, douglas clark said:

Auld Jag,

I have high hopes for Friday, and I will be there shouting and bawling!

Agree

5 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Cerny

Woods           McCarthy

Sammon             Dools

It's a 4-2-2-2, because both goalscorers need to be on the park from the outset.

Good team.Is Booth fit? If not McGinn.Would Penrice be to much of a gamble?

4 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Good team.Is Booth fit? If not McGinn.Would Penrice be to much of a gamble?

if Booth isn't fit, then Penrice please.

He's no gamble at all. if he was good enough v Celtic then damn right he's good enough against this mob.

But Archie needs to have the nadgers to do it.

4 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

if Booth isn't fit, then Penrice please.

He's no gamble at all. if he was good enough v Celtic then damn right he's good enough against this mob.

But Archie needs to have the nadgers to do it.

Reason I ask if he is a gamble is because of his lack of playing time.

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Cerny

Woods           McCarthy

Sammon             Dools

I understand the thinking and I like the players, but it does seem awfully narrow. Elliott and Booth both have their virtues as wing backs, but neither of them are renowned as byeline hitters. 

I suppose that playing this formation may be one way of ensuring that we make less bad crosses and we do not keep shoving the ball out wide as a default option!

If we are going through the middle, we must do it at pace before the defence is all sorted.

Probably a forlorn hope, but is Muzzy Dumbaya totally out of the picture as a wingback on either side?

I say that because at this time 2 years ago he put in a fantastic performance on his less favoured left side away to Kilmarnock, taking on the very different challenges of Josh Magennis and Kallum Higginbotham and coming out on top.

Sadly he has never played as well since (indeed he has hardly played at all).

3 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

I understand the thinking and I like the players, but it does seem awfully narrow. Elliott and Booth both have their virtues as wing backs, but neither of them are renowned as byeline hitters. 

I suppose that playing this formation may be one way of ensuring that we make less bad crosses and we do not keep shoving the ball out wide as a default option!

If we are going through the middle, we must do it at pace before the defence is all sorted.

I get you, and frankly I would not want to be going that narrow in an ideal world.

But the ideal world was a year ago, and we've frankly been rank rotten since then, so needs dictate.

The last two games have shown that if we get our best goalscorers on the park plus our energetic midfield men (Edwards and Erskine) then we can still be a handful.

We've no longer got time to lose, so let's do it.

And I say this as one of Stevie Lawless' biggest fans on this site - but I repeat - needs dictate,

HUGE  game….

Negatives: 

They pumped us a few weeks ago. So why can’t they do it again

Whether it’s the managers tactics or the players on the day we seem unable to play penetrating attacking football.

Even when its really mattered ( ie Dingwall ) this thistle team has shown that they are well capable of not turning up on the night

Ross Co will bring a handful of fans and the game is on tv. I worry that it will be a small crowd with little atmosphere especially if we play our slow build up football with no chances created. The crowd will become deflated and quiet.

Positives:

They looked terrible against Hamilton which was an important game for them

We looked good against Hamilton and a similar performance will beat Ross Co.

It’s at home.

We are a better side than them - if we get that across to them early they will lose confidence.

Edwards must start. He has shown in the last two games he is up for it.

If anybody is reading this and thinking of sitting in and watching the game on TV they should reconsider - make the effort and go along even if you miss the Motherwell game instead. The crowd could really make a difference. I feel this is the defining game and the club should maybe have tried more advertising and possibly reduced prices to get an atmosphere. There was 3800 at Hamilton game imagine what even 4500 might do. Your club needs you!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, douglas clark said:

I guess after a season of hearing about "must win" games  a lot of posters on here are kind of immune when a genuine one eventually comes along. Hence maybe why so little comment.  I agree it's a most important game  tho' I'd temper that by using recent history.

I hope the pitch is in good shape as I really believe our chances are significantly improved if the surface plays true and faster than of late. Wouldn't be surprised, if no fitness problems, we start with roughly the same team as Saturday. Feel it's more the pace we move the ball about at rather than the personnel that's crucial. Also most important the players keep the heid. From what I could pick up from County's game at NDP they weren't slow in trying to provoke the Accies players.

if we lose to a team with Harry Souttar at the back then we should just be put down right away, Get Sammon up against that lump ae wid and get Dools or Storey in about him, he canny even run, he’s like a Kevin James, he’s slower than Kevin James carrying Jim Slaven! 

There's absolutely no way we should allow them to attack and think about scoring against them "on the break".  Our defence is porous, the worst in the league. When we do attack at pace, we can score. This is an important home game against the currently bottom team in the league. Intae them from the off, and keep it up throughout, Jags! 

We have to be positive from the first whistle: none of this predictable continual sideways or backwards passing.

The time for childish self-pity, if it ever existed has long gone. The management and players must realise that they are playing for their own futures. If not simply, the hopes and dreams of Jags' supporters everywhere.

The current side have let the support down on numerous occasions this season: this is their chance for redemption?

• Like 1

Win would obviously be great but I'd take a draw in this one.

I think we will win but 2 points ahead with two to play isn't too bad either.

Wouldn't change the team after two very good results recently.

Get behind the team and show them what it means to be Thistle through and through!!