Ross County 4/5/18

Auld Jag

22 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

If we won tonight a play off place would have been the worst we would have got .After tonight I now feel the best we will get is a play off place and automatic relegation isn't out of the question yet.

I completely get it and am not disagreeing with the logic.

I hoped we could win but felt the draw was far worse for them.

I'd have taken the play off before a ball was kicked tonight and would do so now.

Crowd looked quite big. Anyone know how many?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

I completely get it and am not disagreeing with the logic.

I hoped we could win but felt the draw was far worse for them.

I'd have taken the play off before a ball was kicked tonight and would do so now.

Crowd looked quite big. Anyone know how many?

4300 With just over 300 away fans.The Thistle fans encouraged the team from start to finish.

• Like 3

I thought Erskine had a great game, and earned a well deserved motm. Also thought McCarthy played well, looking very composed most of the time. He could play a big part for us in years to come. 

It was scary how we went from being the only team playing, with attack after attack, to defending for most of the last hour and possibly lucky to get a draw. The timewasting Cerny was at must have been instructed from above, which drove me mad. Playing for a draw against bottom of the league...  Looks like we were aiming for the play off rather than to avoid it.

Want a Dundee win against Hamilton because I feel that would give us an outside chance of getting 10th.But for us to get 10th we will need to beat Motherwell at Firhill  and get at least a point at Dens. Lets hope we can get another good crowd at Firhill on Tuesday.

Never going to happen. They bottled it tonight against the worst team in the league. The sooner the season finishes the better and then the clearout can begin.

still can't believe the 'Alan Archibald' chant was getting belted out tonight. What exactly was there to celebrate? Joke.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Never going to happen. They bottled it tonight against the worst team in the league. The sooner the season finishes the better and then the clearout can begin.

still can't believe the 'Alan Archibald' chant was getting belted out tonight. What exactly was there to celebrate? Joke.

There will be a big clear out because of the amount off players who are out of contract.I just hope it is a Premier league team that any new players we get for next season are joining.

• Like 1

The (almost predictable) failure to beat the bottom team last night has put us in an even more precarious position. If Ross County win their next game and we lose or only draw, we are in the relegation position.

Realistically, that would look like curtains for our stay in the Premiership. 

Oh well, it was (occasionally) nice while it lasted.

7 hours ago, kennymac29 said:

Don't want to add to the doom and gloom but archies subs tonight were shocking. Let's take off doolan and play a wide right who can't cross or do much else, Barton did well when he came on but we were chasing the game. 

Must win game and a home draw means the coach should be offski.  But not thistle. Amateur club. 

Spittal did okay when he came on and his crossing was far better than Elliot’s or woods.

storey on the other hand when he was brought on...

7 hours ago, Big Col said:

I'd guess those singing were trying to gee the team, would you rather they sat on their hands and kept their mouths shut or even worse jeered the team and sung for the managers head. The singers for archie might not even believe in him now either but are trying to inspire the players.

I understand your negativity towards the mamager and to some extent i share your anger and frustration but surely during a game we need to stay 100% supportive of the players and manager. 

The positive from last night is that premier survival is in our own hands. Nothing's coming easy to Thistle at the moment but we're still in there battling and unbeaten since the split. I'm not going to predict what will happen over the next few games. But I do think there's a spirit building at the games, between fans and players, which could help us through it.

My fingers are still firmly crossed. There's no question, there is still realistic hope.

• Like 1

Still angry after last nights performance , no idea why Archie started with 2 up front , playing Sammon up front from the start dictates how we play the game by playing one dimensional football basically launching the ball or playing the ball long for the " target man " 

We've got better football players than Ross County but played into their hands last night by trying to make it a physical battle  against  Souttar and Fontaine , the subs Archie made taking off the energy of Ryan Edwards who was closing down players and bringing on Spitall who is lightweight and totally ineffective , that decision alone handed the midfield to County and we were on the back foot after that. Not sure what game Archie was watching but Sammon was awful last night and should have been hooked not Doolan who remains our best bet in winning a tight game like that as he's proved time after time.

I would take a play off place now

Rant over !

57 minutes ago, allyo said:

The positive from last night is that premier survival is in our own hands. Nothing's coming easy to Thistle at the moment but we're still in there battling and unbeaten since the split. I'm not going to predict what will happen over the next few games. But I do think there's a spirit building at the games, between fans and players, which could help us through it.

My fingers are still firmly crossed. There's no question, there is still realistic hope.

That's the only tangible "positive." Yes, survival is in our hands, but only if Ross County continue to lose or draw.... a single win for them and failure by us to more than match their points total, then it's down we go.

Hope? Yes.

Realistic? Hell, yes!

33 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

the subs Archie made taking off the energy of Ryan Edwards who was closing down players and bringing on Spitall who is lightweight and totally ineffective , that decision alone handed the midfield to County and we were on the back foot after that.

This bit is abject nonsense I'm afraid. Edwards was on a tightrope & lucky not to pick up his 2nd yellow for a blatant body check just before he went off*. County dominated midfield for the majority of the 2nd half when they went to a flat 4 to combat our narrow diamond. It was only when Spittal & Storey (who I admit was poor) came on to give us the midfield 5 that we regained a measure of control. That's why we put them under more pressure in that final 10 minutes than we had for the previous 35. Could it have been earlier? Perhaps. Should it have been Sammon rather than Doolan? Again, perhaps. But to suggest that Spittal coming on handed the midfield to County is the exact opposite of what happened.

Edwards lost the plot after being wiped out on the touchline, can't remember who by. No booking for the County player naturally. He then decided to take the law into his own hands & was lucky not to get sent off.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

This bit is abject nonsense I'm afraid. Edwards was on a tightrope & lucky not to pick up his 2nd yellow for a blatant body check just before he went off*. County dominated midfield for the majority of the 2nd half when they went to a flat 4 to combat our narrow diamond. It was only when Spittal & Storey (who I admit was poor) came on to give us the midfield 5 that we regained a measure of control. That's why we put them under more pressure in that final 10 minutes than we had for the previous 35. Could it have been earlier? Perhaps. Should it have been Sammon rather than Doolan? Again, perhaps. But to suggest that Spittal coming on handed their  midfield to County is the exact opposite of what happened.

Edwards lost the plot after being wiped out on the touchline, can't remember who by. No booking for the County player naturally. He then decided to take the law into his own hands & was lucky not to get sent off.

Abject nonsense ? , Edwards went off just after an hour , are you seriously telling me that we controlled the game after that , Spittal provided little or no cover for Elliott down the left hand side , so you're basically telling people who watched that game " exact opposite "was your quote that we controlled the midfield after Spittal came on .

Not  sure what game you were watching , we had a late flurry in the last 5 mins but we never controlled the midfield for the best part of the  2nd half at all 

9 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Want a Dundee win against Hamilton because I feel that would give us an outside chance of getting 10th.But for us to get 10th we will need to beat Motherwell at Firhill  and get at least a point at Dens. Lets hope we can get another good crowd at Firhill on Tuesday.

I would prefer a Hamilton win over Dundee today as we still have Dundee to play so can influence their points tally whilst we can't influence Hamilton's total.

Dundee lose today then draw against Ross County midweek and we beat them on Saturday means we finish 10th if we can beat Motherwell on Tuesday - simple :happy2:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Abject nonsense ? , Edwards went off just after an hour , are you seriously telling me that we controlled the game after that , Spittal provided little or no cover for Elliott down the left hand side , so you're basically telling people who watched that game " exact opposite "was your quote that we controlled the midfield after Spittal came on .

Not  sure what game you were watching , we had a late flurry in the last 5 mins but we never controlled the midfield for the best part of the  2nd half at all 

Oh well, in addition to watching a different game from you, I've written a different post to the one you read.

Good chat.

2 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I would prefer a Hamilton win over Dundee today as we still have Dundee to play so can influence their points tally whilst we can't influence Hamilton's total.

Dundee lose today then draw against Ross County midweek and we beat them on Saturday means we finish 10th if we can beat Motherwell on Tuesday - simple :happy2:

The reason I want a Dundee win is Hamilton have been on a few long winless runs and I think if they lose today they will find it hard to get points in their remaining games.Worst result for us would be a draw, so that's what will probably happen.

1 minute ago, Auld Jag said:

The reason I want a Dundee win is Hamilton have been on a few long winless runs and I think if they lose today they will find it hard to get points in their remaining games.Worst result for us would be a draw, so that's what will probably happen.

Agree about not wanting a draw. My worry with Accies is that Motherwell will have one eye on the cup final when they play them on the last day. The main thing is that we need to win our 2 games so lets all keep the faith.

1 hour ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Agree about not wanting a draw. My worry with Accies is that Motherwell will have one eye on the cup final when they play them on the last day. The main thing is that we need to win our 2 games so lets all keep the faith.

Faith and hope is all we have left.Lets hope we get another good Thistle support on Tuesday night.

Still feeling quite gutted, as I think they were there for the taking. I'm a fan of Archie but I think our starting formation hindered our attacking play . It was essentially a 4-3-1-2, which meant the midfield was extremely narrow. As a consequence Doolan and particularly Sammon were having to pull out wide and the latter struggled with his crossing. Fair enough, Doolan provided the cross for Erskine's goal, but I don't think this alone justifies a formation that saw us get bogged down in the middle of the park and had us hurling the occasional high ball towards the strikers. Our attacking play was much better against Hamilton, so I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't stick with that approach. As I say, I think they were there for the taking, so we should have played to our strengths rather than alter the formation for what I can only assume was the purpose of stifling their play. 

Anyway, positives: Erskine is in a good run of form, Cargill played well until he had to go off and Woods was decent. Negatives: well, I think the midfield was dysfunctional but I think that was down to the formation. Storey really struggled with his crossing when he came on. In hindsight I'm sure Archie will wish he'd put on Lawless instead. 

A tough one to take. We should have beaten that team.