Thistle v Motherwell

eljaggo

5 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

30 goals in 37 games

61 conceded in 37 games

1 clean sheet in 37 games

7 wins & 21 defeats

Totally abysmal season

Can't disagree with your dominant premise of an abysmal season, because that's what it's been, but in the interests of fairness those 37 games have 'yielded' shut-outs v Hamilton x 2, Ross County and St Johnstone.

Edited by Barney Rubble

3 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Don't disagree with your dominant premise of an abysmal season, because that's what it's been, but in the interests of fairness those 37 games have yielded (?) shut-outs v Hamilton x 2, Ross County and St Johnstone.

I stand corrected, it’s 1 clean sheet this year.

Add to that we have been bottom 3 since game 1

Edited by Norgethistle

1 minute ago, Auld Jag said:

After Kilmarnock beat us 2-0 at Firhill till winter break we played 13 games and got 17 points.By far our best run of the season.

Now here's a curiosity - we achieved that run when Archie made the fewest changes of the season - I think TJR posted something to support this on his fabulous stats thread.

Our recent mini-run of three also coincided with a settled script too.

3 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Now here's a curiosity - we achieved that run when Archie made the fewest changes of the season - I think TJR posted something to support this on his fabulous stats thread.

Our recent mini-run of three also coincided with a settled script too.

It was also before  the injured players came back. 3Games unbeaten is our best run of the season we have done this twice.

Everyone knows that Archie has been given a longer rope than any other Thistle manager would conceivably be given. Reminds me of the situation at Rangers under McCoist. 

In all seriousness, regardless of what happens during the next 1 or 3 matches, major changes are needed in the summer. Archibald should walk. The club is stagnant under him, and it is clear that he hasn't the ability to take this club on. His useless signings like Devine, Cargill, Woods, McGinn, Storey, Spittal, and Barton should all follow him out. Fraser, Scully, Muzzy, and Lawless have all been carried for far too long, and have shown either they cannot stay fit, or haven't the ability to make it in the top flight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Everyone knows that Archie has been given a longer rope than any other Thistle manager would conceivably be given. Reminds me of the situation at Rangers under McCoist. 

In all seriousness, regardless of what happens during the next 1 or 3 matches, major changes are needed in the summer. Archibald should walk. The club is stagnant under him, and it is clear that he hasn't the ability to take this club on. His useless signings like Devine, Cargill, Woods, McGinn, Storey, Spittal, and Barton should all follow him out. Fraser, Scully, Muzzy, and Lawless have all been carried for far too long, and have shown either they cannot stay fit, or haven't the ability to make it in the top flight. 

Archie, the management team and the players have massively underperformed since beating Motherwell last April to secure top 6. That is indisputable. Frankly even if we survive this season, would he be able to achieve the necessary transformation in the squad and his own approach for us to avoid a repeat of the previous seasons? I'd like him too be able to do so, but he's presided over a serious shitshow this season with little evidence since January of being able to turn fortunes round.

Agree major changes are needed with personnel. Out of that shower of imposters you mention, Lawless, Spittal and maybe Woods (if he can get a proper pre-season) I would consider retaining. Osman and Banzo should be added to your discard list too, Banzos either fit to come back or he isn't, and after 2.5 years time comes that a decision should be made.

Irrespective of the league we are in or who the manager, I expect a vastly different squad take the field in July.

• Like 1

Last year to seal our Top 6 place we beat Motherwell in April 2017.  Our team was

Cerny, Keown, Devine, Lindsay, Dumbaya, Barton, Edwards, Elliot, Lawless, Erskine, Doolan

Tonight we were

Cerny, Cargill, Devine, Woods, McGinn, Barton, Edwards, Elliot, Sammon, Erskine, Doolan

Only 4 differences.  Lindsay is the biggest loss from last year but it's not massive.  True Motherwell have improved but I cannot and I don't think anyone can work out why we have been so bad.  The team has been unsettled with constant changes but it is also lacking in composure, confidence, bite and luck tonight.  We are better than our position and Motherwell are nothing great but they grind out the results and we don't.

We started well and had some chances but we are still lacking a dominant midfield and ended up lumping it up the park.   They put plenty of effort in but there was limited class.  I could not criticise one particular player but we end up a bit clueless when we get forward.  Barton was alright, wing backs got up and down, central defence is definitely shaky and I wonder what Woods brings but he does the unglamorous work of shielding the defence.  Sammon and Doolan do not work as a pair up front.

We have a BIG game v Dundee and we need to see more aggression and desire

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Archie, the management team and the players have massively underperformed since beating Motherwell last April to secure top 6. That is indisputable. Frankly even if we survive this season, would he be able to achieve the necessary transformation in the squad and his own approach for us to avoid a repeat of the previous seasons? I'd like him too be able to do so, but he's presided over a serious shitshow this season with little evidence since January of being able to turn fortunes round.

Agree major changes are needed with personnel. Out of that shower of imposters you mention, Lawless, Spittal and maybe Woods (if he can get a proper pre-season) I would consider retaining. Osman and Banzo should be added to your discard list too, Banzos either fit to come back or he isn't, and after 2.5 years time comes that a decision should be made.

Irrespective of the league we are in or who the manager, I expect a vastly different squad take the field in July.

I completely agree with you Barney. My worry is since the split, he has had 2 transfer windows to rectify obvious problems. Problems such as losing one of our best CB's in 50 years, our club captain, and a creative, albeit poor finisher in Azeez. For some bizarre reason, he didn't make any additions in January, simply replacing a crap loan signing with another crap loan signing. Banking on players coming back from injury was a daft idea, although I think the board would have been reluctant to give him any more money after seeing him piss it away in the summer.  

I agree with the Banzo situation. I guess he will train with us over the summer, and hopefully a new manager can monitor the situation. Osman can definitely go. Even when injured he would rather spend Saturday's with his freeloading pal Pogba down in Manchester, than be in Glasgow supporting his team .

Edited by Yellow & Redneck

I know it's frustrating and we were rubbish and all that, but can the people stating that they don't care if we go down just confirm that it's a figure of speech or a desperate attempt to retain their sanity, rather than their actual belief. It's just, I need to know.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of our manager, our players our prospects, surely or club's position in the premier league is something that we want to hang on to, right?

• Like 2