dun (d-day) away

elevenone

35 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

This is a night for celebration not for in depth analysis but just while the game is fresh in the mind I agree Lawless was absolutely outstanding.  Sammon was worse than a man down and I'm genuinely sorry to say that whatever the reason Storey isn't up to standard at the moment and it was actually unfair to play him. Today won't have done a lot for his confidence, not sure how the manager didn't see that. If McGinn has signed a deal with St Mirren he might have been expected to coast a bit but instead also deserves a mention for an excellent performance. Great effort by the fans again today. The steward / security guys were ********* and out to cause trouble. Lets stay united and see off Livi.  There's going to be some interesting post mortems on the season whatever happens.

Thought Sammon put in a very good shift today. Not a lot came off for him but he like all the players worked very hard.  In the last 10 minutes he was running all over the pitch closing people down.

4 hours ago, ScottyDFA said:

I don't know if Kris Doolan feels insulted at the beginning of every season when it becomes apparent that the boss has decided to once again give preference to some vastly-inferior forward.

All I know is that I feel insulted on his behalf.

Archie doesn't deserve Dools.

If Archibald is going to be at Thistle next season I hope Doolan leaves in the summer for some place where his talents are appreciated. Not easy for me to say, given Doolan is the best footballer we've had at the club in recent years, but I think the slight has gone on long enough.

And the award for the most joyless and hysterical post of the year goes to....

Edited by KemoAvdiu
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ScottyDFA said:

I don't know if Kris Doolan feels insulted at the beginning of every season when it becomes apparent that the boss has decided to once again give preference to some vastly-inferior forward.

All I know is that I feel insulted on his behalf.

Archie doesn't deserve Dools.

If Archibald is going to be at Thistle next season I hope Doolan leaves in the summer for some place where his talents are appreciated. Not easy for me to say, given Doolan is the best footballer we've had at the club in recent years, but I think the slight has gone on long enough.

I hope he stays if anyone was ever deserving of a testimonial it’s this gent he 

• Like 3

Really good gutsy performance. Barton adds so much composure and ability in the middle of the park. Lawless was excellent, whole team fought hard. Winning before the playoff (rather than drift in following defeat for us and county) is important and gives us some momentum. Delighted for Archie, who throughout a very difficult season has always retained his dignity. Two massive games to come but think we can do it. Mon the jags!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dibble said:

Thought Sammon put in a very good shift today. Not a lot came off for him but he like all the players worked very hard.  In the last 10 minutes he was running all over the pitch closing people down.

For a man of his size he won next to nothing in the air.  I cant remember him winning a challenge apart from a wee tussle in the corner near the end.  He had no shots on target,  If you are the target man in a must win game you need to contribute and make your presence felt. Defenders must love playing against him cos he's powder puff. Doolan came on and showed what needs done - how to close down effectively and score goals. If we were waiting on Sammon to win the tie today we'd still be sitting there.

We were the better team for the majority of the match. Again. But thankfully we left with all three points this time. I thought Barton was excellent and a real threat having been given licence to get forward more often. Lawless also had a good match, as did McGinn. Storey, on the other hand, had a 'mare and was lucky to make it to half time. Doolan and Erskine should be relatively fresh for the double-header. We can do this. We will do this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

For a man of his size he won next to nothing in the air.  I cant remember him winning a challenge apart from a wee tussle in the corner near the end.  He had no shots on target,  If you are the target man in a must win game you need to contribute and make your presence felt. Defenders must love playing against him cos he's powder puff. Doolan came on and showed what needs done - how to close down effectively and score goals. If we were waiting on Sammon to win the tie today we'd still be sitting there.

To be fair, there seems to be a tendency to punt high balls up to him; Doolan's goal, on the other hand, came from one of the few occasions, if not the only one, when it was passed to him on the ground (albeit with a deflection), allowing him to guide it into the corner of the net. Most of the team's attacks fizzled out by arriving high in the box or from crosses into the box - the methods that have failed to produce goals for us for much of the season.

Not at the game ,just watched it for the second time on Alba and thought we worked hard in closing them down,thats how our goal came about by winning the ball in midfield.Thought Spittal put in a good shift.Wont be easy but if we put in the same amount of work and take our chances we should come thru the play of.

Lawless and Barton displayed magnificent skills that have been absent all season. These 2 should be Jags legends but they have produced very little this year. Why? 

I thought Christie, the CB’s and McGinn were never troubled but wee Stevie MOTM by miles. 

We won despite Archie’s team selection which was ridiculous. Let’s face it, Dundee we’re rank and on holiday. Storey is hopeless and Spittal not much better.  We have far better players than Livi. Let’s get them on the pitch in the right positions and in the right framework.

2 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Lawless and Barton displayed magnificent skills that have been absent all season. These 2 should be Jags legends but they have produced very little this year. Why? 

I thought Christie, the CB’s and McGinn were never troubled but wee Stevie MOTM by miles. 

We won despite Archie’s team selection which was ridiculous. Let’s face it, Dundee we’re rank and on holiday. Storey is hopeless and Spittal not much better.  We have far better players than Livi. Let’s get them on the pitch in the right positions and in the right framework.

Why was Archie's team selection ridiculous?

11 hours ago, cyprusjag said:

Just watched the game on Alba and we were the better team by a mile.Don't get R & Y's comment that we were spineless? Saw a lot of fight and commitment and maybe a wee lack of composure with the final ball but "spineless"?.We didn't make any stupid tackles but but that's a good thing surely?ol

To be fair to R&Y I think he'd decided we were spineless before yesterday

8 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Are you yellow & redneck in disguise?

Total pants of a post

He is right about Lawless tho'. Tremendous performance yesterday. Great when he can play either down the right or slightly inside, cutting in rather being stuck out on the left.

I feel getting the result rather than relying on St J to assist will help with confidence. Oh and John Motson's retiring so it's an extra happy day all round. :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Jags edged it in the end yesterday and nulled two goal Murray from the Firhill game....Sammon did have a purple patch for several games and is confident as a penalty taker but he appeared leaden footed yesterday, barely challenging and lacking fitness....we will need 'teeth' to beat Livingstone or we will follow County.

Cmon Connor (and it applies to the whole team) two games to give it your all.

37 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

He is right about Lawless tho'. Tremendous performance yesterday. Great when he can play either down the right or slightly inside, cutting in rather being stuck out on the left.

I feel getting the result rather than relying on St J to assist will help with confidence. Oh and John Motson's retiring so it's an extra happy day all round:thumbsup2:

Don't watch a lot of tv. The commentator I'd like to see the back of is Green on Radio 5. Complete t0sser. Oh, and our own Liam McLeod. Can make any game sound as interesting as drying paint.

11 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Wouldn’t argue with any of that to be fair. My one bugbear on this forum is people coming on here to moan and complain even when we win. It certainly couldn’t be accused of being a member of the happy clappy club, but in the name of goodness can people not give the anti-Archie narrative a rest: at least until the season is finished?

Superb interview with Doolan on Jagzone.

Oozing confidence.

Should be the first name on the teamsheet every time - don't give me no over-thought bollox about physicality, out balls or age.

Doolan was putting himself up (and scoring) against hard bruisers in the Juniors when he still a school boy, and he's in peak condition right here, right now.

My impression is that he will do everything to remain in great shape for years to come; next season's team should be getting built around him.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, The Jukebox Rebel said:

Superb interview with Doolan on Jagzone.

Oozing confidence.

Should be the first name on the teamsheet every time - don't give me no over-thought bollox about physicality, out balls or age.

Doolan was putting himself up (and scoring) against hard bruisers in the Juniors when he still a school boy, and he's in peak condition right here, right now.

My impression is that he will do everything to remain in great shape for years to come; next season's team should be getting built around him.

No more likes. Agree TJR. Doolan is the complete professional.Not like some of the overpaid prima donnas that roll about as if they had been shot as soon as somebody looks at them.

16 hours ago, KemoAvdiu said:

And the award for the most joyless and hysterical post of the year goes to....

Well, it's been slim pickings at Firhill this year, so it's nice to win something.

P.S. You seem to be a bit confused about the meaning of the word hysterical.