douglas clark

douglas clark

The BBC commentators speculated at the end of the programme how Thistle would react on Sunday, and what changes to tactics and players they would make.  They clearly haven't seen much of Thistle not to know that Archibald has tried virtually every permutation with little or no success, and that he has run out of options.  He seems to have no motivational skiils, and so perhaps the return of Erskine and a reversion to one striker (Doolan) is our best hope for survival. 

Absolute shambles of a team. I can accept a defeat when our players put their heart and soul into the 90 minutes, but that was just gutless, pathetic heartless dross. Our team are a carbon copy of our management right now. Scared, lacking heart and clueless. We were second to every ball and tactically clueless. 2-1 was a travesty for Livi. Even if we somehow manage to  luckily squeeze through on Sunday it will only paper over the cracks of this pathetic season. It has been pointed out over and over that Archie and Shaggy as ex centre halves should have at the very least that part of our team nailed down, but season after season we have a defence that are bullied, second to every ball and cannot even do the basics of defence that an amateur team should be able to right. Add to that the conveyor belt of useless forwards they have signed over the last 5 years and it's plain to anyone with even half a clue about football that not only does our team need dismantled and rebuilt, but Archie and Shaggy need to go and go on Sunday. One shot on target tells the story .......

• Like 4

If you thought BBC was bad you should have heard BT. We were slaughtered by Sutton and co,not without justification.I am never going to watch a Thistle televised game again.The only one I've ever enjoyed was our first game back in the Premier League against Dundee United that finished 0-0.So I won't be watching on Sunday but I'll record it and only watch it if we win overall.My blood pressure  can't take it.No wonder I've just been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.I'm sure there must be a nervous condition called Thistleitis.

3 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

It’s slightly surreal that after all that’s happened this season, we still have every chance of staying up.  Obviously not if we play like that- but only the one goal in it and all to play for. 

Last minute deflected equaliser off someone ‘s arse again maybe?

As you say even after such a bad season we still have a chance to stay in this league.That will only happen if we show some fight and look as if we want to win the game.There could also be a few other things in our favour Livingston now have something to lose they are ahead and are only 90miutes away from their second promotion in a row and they have a few out with injuries and they did seem to run themselves into the ground which we didn't.All is not lost yet,but if we do go down and I hate to say this but we do deserve it because we have had enough chances to pull away from relegation over the season and we didn't take it.

Edited by Auld Jag

7 minutes ago, jigjag said:

Absolute shambles of a team. I can accept a defeat when our players put their heart and soul into the 90 minutes, but that was just gutless, pathetic heartless dross. Our team are a carbon copy of our management right now. Scared, lacking heart and clueless. We were second to every ball and tactically clueless. 2-1 was a travesty for Livi. Even if we somehow manage to  luckily squeeze through on Sunday it will only paper over the cracks of this pathetic season. It has been pointed out over and over that Archie and Shaggy as ex centre halves should have at the very least that part of our team nailed down, but season after season we have a defence that are bullied, second to every ball and cannot even do the basics of defence that an amateur team should be able to right. Add to that the conveyor belt of useless forwards they have signed over the last 5 years and it's plain to anyone with even half a clue about football that not only does our team need dismantled and rebuilt, but Archie and Shaggy need to go and go on Sunday. One shot on target tells the story .......

That is bollocks. In the two or three seasons prior to this one we were defensively sound.   This revisionism is doing my head in. 

It’s simple- up till the end of last season, the management team’s record was good and worthy of praise. This season their record is bad and worthy of scorn

• Like 3

A team of gutless ***** managed by a dour faced *******.

We were beaten tonight by sheer effort. They should be mortified. 

The whole playing side of things needs gutted, even if we somehow someway stay up on sunday. 

Edited by Hankey
  • Like 1

A master class in management: the manager with much poorer resources (OK, crap players) completely outthought the one with history, budget and an established reputation and made the latter look inept and out of his depth.

In five years Archie has not managed to assemble a team with heart, grit - call it what you like. (None has included a "bad boy" - and all successful teams have one.)

The worst of it is that in all likelihood the club will drop to the Championship and keep the untouchable Archie because the board has decided cuddliness is in fashion. (Oh, for some hard-nosed business minds there!)

I can't speak for anyone else, but regardless of which league the first team is in next season, if Archie stays as manager, then I'll drop the season ticket and pay as I go. Even if the board doesn't see it, I don't want to throw good money after bad.

Edited by Fearchar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Ok dead club. I'll bite. 

I don't make a habit of bandying words with fellow jags but.........the day i need someone like you to tell me what to worry about will be the day i chuck life.  Just offered an opinion radio commerntry, don't need you telling me how to run my life. 

Go play with the buses kid

How about get a life then sitting about greeting because of the commentators- absolutely pathetic 

If the commentators bothered you that much why not fork out for jagzone or better still get your backside along to the game you pathetic joke

That was a total embarrassment tonight.     Spineless Gutless performance .Apart from  the goal not another effort to trouble Alexander   I could have played in goal for the second half..As for our fans standing clapping at the end      sorry guys there was nothing to clap about tonight. As for Sunday who knows      I dont  hold out much hope.................

So it looks like Ross County will be ‘credited’ with being relegated by premier teams whereas we will have the shame of being relegated by a championship side. Every man and his dog knew how Livi would be set up and how they play. 2 centres that actually stop their gialie being troubled so our plan - hoof the ball in their general direction. We had no answer even after we saw the exam question when they played Dungdee Utd. Another decade in the wilderness beckons. 

I am utterly embarrassed this evening after that performance. I'm almost red-faced for the people who inexplicably applauded the players off the pitch at full-time. But after all, we are the cuddly toy of Scottish football, so at least you tried boys. Applause and jelly-babies all round. Yay! 

But in all seriousness, that was possibly one of the worst performances of the season (and that's an achievement...of sorts). We managed 2 decent shots against a bloody Championship side. Zero heart, zero creativity, and zero leadership. 

As soon as the line-up was announced I was puzzled. Why play guys like McGinn who regardless of our fate, will be playing Premiership football next season> What incentive does he have to put himself about if he already knows he has a contract at St. Mirren? Perhaps guys like Penrice, Elliot, or McCarthy aren't blessed with great ability, but at least they are playing for their future and the game might actually mean something to them. 

Tonight also highlighted how foolish our manager was in not bringing in a decent CB during January. Even a Lee Mair like player. After all, Devine is possibly the worst professional CB in Scotland at the moment, and Cargill isn't any better (but of course if Archie is kept on as manager, he will sign him anyway). 

And that brings us on to our clown of a manager. We played absolute anti-football this evening. It was a disgrace to watch. Punt ball, punt ball, run the ball out of play, punt, punt! At half-time we should have known our approach was not working, yet we somehow managed to be even less effective in the second half. There for the grace of God are we actually still in with a shot at staying up, because Livi really should have won 3 or 4-1. 

Lord knows how we will change it on Sunday. Archibald can't motivate his players. That much is clear. Then he has the audacity to praise aspects of our performance post-match! Our captain hasn't even made the bench, so who knows what is going on there!? 

But fair play to Livi. You had heart and you had bottle. You went a goal down, but rather than chucking in the towel like our losers, you kept fighting and got what you deserved. Your manager absolutely out-smarted our predicable approach.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Fearchar said:

A master class in management: the manager with much poorer resources (OK, crap players) completely outthought the one with history, budget and an established reputation and made the latter look inept and out of his depth.

In five years Archie has not managed to assemble a team with heart, grit - call it what you like. (None has included a "bad boy" - and all successful teams have one.)

The worst of it is that in all likelihood the club will drop to the Championship and keep the untouchable Archie because the board has decided cuddliness is in fashion. (Oh, for some hard-nosed business minds there!)

I can't speak for anyone else, but regardless of which league the first team is in next season, if Archie stays as manager, then I'll drop the season ticket and pay as I go. Even if the board doesn't see it, I don't want to throw good money after bad.

In five years Archie hasn’t managed to assemble a team with heart? That’s just patently untrue. As someone else has already pointed out further up the thread, until this season Archie’s record was one of continual progression, and one where we more often than not won the big games we had to win. This season has been dire but you’re indulging in revisionist bollocks. Even if Archie does go at the end of the season his tenure should be looked on as a success, and he doesn’t deserve absolute melts giving him abuse (e.g. that clown photo that’s been posted). 

Tonight was terrible but it’s half time. Save the “I’m not buying a season ticket” patter for another day. 

Edited to add: I had forgotten that you were the character that odiously used John Lambie’s passing to make a dig at Archie. Real classy guy. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu
  • Like 1

It will be a different game on Sunday and Erskine must start. I think he is the key if we have any hope of turning it round. I still think we can do it  but it will be tough

Tonight's performance was as frustrating I have seen but Livingston's tactics were to be expected. The ridiculous formation that didn't work against Ross County and Motherwell didn't work in the first half so what did we do 2nd half? Same again! We had no width and played far too narrow the whole game. The manager had no idea what to do and was out of his depth versus a good championship manager.

I agree with the comments about Devine. He isn't good enough and either shouldn't have been signed or should have been replaced. With Keown out though, we are unfortunately short of options at the back so he has to play. However, how Sammon played the way he did and lasted 85 minutes is beyond me. 

My opinion now is that, regardless of whether we stay up or not though, Archibald has to go. He is relying on players he didn't sign to win us games.  In five seasons he has failed to sign a striker of note. Five years he has had and not even fluked one. His team lacks passion and desire and he is unable to make the necessary changes to change the course of a game.

A real shame as he has the club at heart but, unfortunately, it is not enough.

Sammon was so bad that I was pleased to see Storey coming on! This man needs a rocket from management. He played like most of the Dundee team on Saturday. He was sitting on the beach lookin at the peaches. And he was applauded off the pitch!!

get Sammon tae....

I was at the game so didn’t hear us being savaged by BBC or Sutton.  I did hear an accurate synopsis by Duffy who appears far more tactically aware than our Management.  We deserved anything the broadcasters said because we lost to a junior team.

That game was an indictment of the quality of Scottish football.