Players in out and maybes....

javeajag

Would they take a age cut or can we give them a contract with reduced terms I suppose it depends what is in their current contract

A bit controversial, I would give  Gary Fraser time on pre-season, if he remains fit but would only give him if he agrees to reduced terms give him a contract.

Edited by kevin energy
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, jaggy said:

I heard last night that if we stay up Fraser goes, if we go down he gets an offer to stay

To be fair he seems to have done okay with Morton in the Championship and at long last seems to have put his injuries behind him so can see why we would consider him if we go down

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End said:

Keep.

Cerny

Elliott

Keown

Booth

McCarthy

Penrice

Erskine

Lawless

Doolan

Storey.

The rest of the first team squad to be binned.

I would keep Spittal ahead of Storey as he seems capable of scoring more goals plus he is one of the younger ones in the squad and hopefully therefore there is scope for considerable improvement

33 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Which means Archie will still be manager whatever happens?

I suppose it has to be business as usual for the management for now and they have to plan ahead for both scenarios next season. It doesn't necessarily mean there won't be a change 

27 minutes ago, ThickAsThieves said:

What about players returning? Which of the following would you like to see back?

• Gary Miller
  • Conrad Balatoni
  • Frederic Frans
  • Dan Seaborne
  • Paul Paton
  • Sean Welsh
  • Prince Buaben
  • Kallum Higginbotham
  • None of them are you mad?

Frans maybe, but none of the rest of them. Lets not pull a "Rangers." Relegation has afforded us the opportunity to dispense with the old journeymen like Woods, and Sammon, and start to develop younger players who will hopefully be at the club a while. A perfect opportunity to find a new Doolan or Erskine.  Apart from two or three experienced heads, I wouldn't want us to be signing too many guys over the age of 25.

• Like 2

I think we will be looking to go in to the Championship with the following players from current squad:

• Cerny
  • Elliott
  • Penrice
  • Bannigan
  • McCarthy
  • Erskine 
  • Fraser
  • Doolan

I can't see more than that hanging around. I would add Lamont to that list, who I feel is ready but I think Nisbet will go and unsure what the thoughts are on McLaughlin. He seems to have a had a decent amount of game time at Stirling Albion but not scored a lot of goals.

Of the ex-players mentioned I would be delighted to see Paton and Higgy come back. Don't think we can afford them though.

A rchibald said yesterday that the players still with contracts have clauses in them to protect the club.I think a lot of players with contracts will also be going.On the bright side seen Doolan on tv saying he wants Archibald to stay,so hopefully that means Doolan will be staying.

2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

A rchibald said yesterday that the players still with contracts have clauses in them to protect the club.I think a lot of players with contracts will also be going.On the bright side seen Doolan on tv saying he wants Archibald to stay,so hopefully that means Doolan will be staying.

I think that Dools has one eye on the past and one eye on the future, and both point towards him staying with Thistle (if that makes any optical sense!).

As regards the past, he has his eye on the history book and a clear target of becoming Thistle's second top scorer of all time.

As regards the future, surely a coaching role beckons. He has the personality, the character, the experience and the respect (both received and given).

Not sure if he is the type for the managerial merry-go-round, which is probably a good thing for his prospects of building a long term future at Firhill. One day, some part of the stadium will be named after him (though he is too modest to have that as a personal aim).

I hate to say it, but I suspect that Erskine has run his course now. Elliott is still fit and strong, although not as pacey as he once was, and Doolan both offers a goal threat and would provide a good example for younger players. Penrice and McCarthy should be told they will be starting every game next season, and paid accordingly. If other youngsters aren't ready to step up, the club needs to get its scouting sorted out, and that in turn might provide some of the competitive spirit that has been lacking.