Players in out and maybes....

javeajag

Fearchar,

I kind of agree with you, though Erskine may have a year or two in himself. I agree that Penrice and McCarthy have to be seen as amongst the future of this club. It is absolutely essential that we promote folk from the 'Development League' to playing first team football. Otherwise, what is the point of it?

On the subject of Doolan, AFAIK Doolan is on a long term contract and I, for one, see him as a future manager. He  also scores goals.

Thoughts?

I'm going to be controversial and put Erskine and Doolan in the maybe category. I'm not questioning their ability and their commitment, my problem is with their ability to play for a full 90 minutes. It is rare for either of them to start and finish a game, so if we start them both, we know that 2 substitutions are used up, which leaves few options to change the formation. If we pick up a couple of knocks elsewhere and they do need to play for 90 minutes, we have 2 players who are dead on their legs. It maybe that they are carrying knocks this year, or it maybe that the fitness training is a problem and it is possible that the pacein the Championship might help them (Livi didn't suggest that), but I think that they are probably now best as impact players which is why I have them as maybes 

19 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I'm going to be controversial and put Erskine and Doolan in the maybe category. I'm not questioning their ability and their commitment, my problem is with their ability to play for a full 90 minutes. It is rare for either of them to start and finish a game, so if we start them both, we know that 2 substitutions are used up, which leaves few options to change the formation. If we pick up a couple of knocks elsewhere and they do need to play for 90 minutes, we have 2 players who are dead on their legs. It maybe that they are carrying knocks this year, or it maybe that the fitness training is a problem and it is possible that the pacein the Championship might help them (Livi didn't suggest that), but I think that they are probably now best as impact players which is why I have them as maybes 

I'd keep Doolan but I 100% agree re Erskine, absolutely done and has had a shocker of a season bar looking like he cared since the split, same would go for Lawless to be honest, his best spell came playing as a left wing back.

3 hours ago, douglas clark said:

I am also quite fond of our daft Aussie. I think we ought to be fighting to retain Mr runabout, otherwise Mr always fit,  Ryan Edwards?

Am I wrong?

The future Elliott - capable of developing his game on the basis of fitness and energy?

3 hours ago, douglas clark said:

...I agree that Penrice and McCarthy have to be seen as amongst the future of this club. It is absolutely essential that we promote folk from the 'Development League' to playing first team football. Otherwise, what is the point of it?

On the subject of Doolan, AFAIK Doolan is on a long term contract and I, for one, see him as a future manager. He  also scores goals.

Doolan worked in community football for Kilmarnock, and might end up in that side of the club's activities.

1 hour ago, king of spain said:

Guys like Elliott and Edwards are a large part of where we find ourself IMO. They aren't footballers but athletes, we have very little players with football brians.

Harsh! They are decent players at bottom six premiership level. Would like to keep both but probably unlikely. 

Of the 14 players I'd retain (quite a few kids) for next season, I think:

Will stay

Sneddon

Penrice

McCarthy

Lamont

McLaughlin

Erskine 

Doolan

Probably will stay

Cerny

Elliott

Bannigan

50/50

Keown

Edwards

Spittal

Storey

Used them to have a quick go at putting together a fairly realistic starting eleven together for next season, and a wish list for signing positions.

Cerny

Elliott - Keown - New CB - Penrice

McCarthy - New CM

Spittal - Erskine - New W

Doolan

Subs: Sneddon, New RB, New CB, Bannigan, Edwards, New AM, Storey.

Reserves: New CM, McLaughlin, Lamont, New ST.

So that'd be 8 new signings at a minimum.

5 minutes ago, ThickAsThieves said:

Of the 14 players I'd retain (quite a few kids) for next season, I think:

Will stay

Sneddon

Penrice

McCarthy

Lamont

McLaughlin

Erskine 

Doolan

Probably will stay

Cerny

Elliott

Bannigan

50/50

Keown

Edwards

Spittal

Storey

Used them to have a quick go at putting together a fairly realistic starting eleven together for next season, and a wish list for signing positions.

Cerny

Elliott - Keown - New CB - Penrice

McCarthy - New CM

Spittal - Erskine - New W

Doolan

Subs: Sneddon, New RB, New CB, Bannigan, Edwards, New AM, Storey.

Reserves: New CM, McLaughlin, Lamont, New ST.

So that'd be 8 new signings at a minimum.

Another option would be Penrice in midfield, as that's where he was played (very well apparently) at Livi, and find a new LB (or keep Booth if he's prepared to stay).