Livingston 2nd leg

Auld Jag

Hugely disappointing from Thistle again. Regardless of the final score today, surely Archie has to resign after such an abject season in which he has been given sufficient time to rectify things but has failed time and time again. I'm heartily sick of watching football that lacks guile and imagination , the football equivalent of painting by numbers. It's all so 'beige' and predictable week in week out and even for crucial games like today there is no spark. Time for change and some fresh thinking.

• Like 2

Absolutely rotten. 

Gutless performance and terrible management.

can someone tell me if we have two large magnets fitted at either touch line? Our wing backs constantly hug the touchline leaving no space to beat their man, and the final ball is just dreadful. Out of interest id love to see how many goals we scored from crossed balls this season. Every single attack that went down the wing fizzled out, every attack down the middle looked dangerous.

Players were awful today, but honestly its the Management teams fault we were relegated.

Truthfully if the players and Archie stay we will go down again.

awful

Lived up to expectations, watched this team all season and nothing different today. A team who gave the distinct impression that, overall, they could not care less. Tactics continued to be predictable, out to the wings, play fizzles out or woeful cross in. Management unable to motivate the team. Maybe keep Penrice, Lawless and Doolan (if McCarthy is off to Hearts), pretty much everyone else can go.

We deserved nothing over the two legs, we could not compete against one of the least talented teams that I have seen over the past years. We have no cutting edge, a weak midfield and defenders that cannot defend. 

Big changes are required and big decisions have to be made. The sad thing was that we were given an opportunity to survive via the play offs and we failed to grasp it.

The performances over the last couple of games summed up our entire season.

Clueless, couldn't burst a wet paper bag. To add insult to injury we surrendered our SPL status so meekly over the two games. Livi wanted it more than us and that's damning, A clear out including the manager is required. Heard him on the radio and I, and the punters, read into he knows he's going. You cannot reward failure. Yes we overachieved last season but this season has been woeful and in particular our weakness (ideas, fight, passion) in the two play off games has been truly dreadful.

Was genuinely not surprised when we missed the penalty..

Zero urgency in the team..

Couldn't believe the sideways and backwards passing in the second half.. and the passes were ******* awful too.. so many give aways..

Lawless and Doolan only 2 that get pass marks in my book

No fight, deserved to lose. Livi will not bring anything to the top league, but other than a decent away support neither have we this season.

Fans deserved better today - and we got the same old predictable performance. Make no mistake, this is not a good Livi team, but they were better than us over two games. 

Pathetic.

33 minutes ago, stuart_adam said:

Absolutely rotten. 

Gutless performance and terrible management.

can someone tell me if we have two large magnets fitted at either touch line? Our wing backs constantly hug the touchline leaving no space to beat their man, and the final ball is just dreadful. Out of interest id love to see how many goals we scored from crossed balls this season. Every single attack that went down the wing fizzled out, every attack down the middle looked dangerous.

Players were awful today, but honestly its the Management teams fault we were relegated.

Truthfully if the players and Archie stay we will go down again.

awful

This is it in a nutshell.

The only point worth adding is that Archibald is surprisingly careless about protecting the players he has picked. It was clear to everyone watching that the Thistle ball was being distributed from the back by Barton, who came off second best every time when challenged in the air at the Toni Macaroni Arena. Once Livi had persuaded the referee to give him a yellow card at Firhill, it was obvious that they'd go for Barton physically: sure enough, at the first challenge after the break he came away rubbing his kidney. Is Archibald the kind of manager who doesn't warn his player (our first paid signing for ages!) about this at the break? :shocked:

Would love to post something witty and erudite, but I’m afraid that’ll,have to wait some. Over the two legs we where outplayed by a Livingston team put together on a shoestring. I can on

y congratulate them on their achievement and merely say that this merely confirms what a lot of us have been feeling since this ill fated season began: we are not a good team and it was only a matter of time until someone put us out of our misery?

45 minutes ago, flashman said:

Lived up to expectations, watched this team all season and nothing different today. A team who gave the distinct impression that, overall, they could not care less. Tactics continued to be predictable, out to the wings, play fizzles out or woeful cross in. Management unable to motivate the team. Maybe keep Penrice, Lawless and Doolan (if McCarthy is off to Hearts), pretty much everyone else can go.

Lawless off to accies supposedly and osman off to dens park. If it's true its sad to Stevie go, thought he was the only real creative player on show today. 

What really riled me today was one of the things we actually got right, for half the game at least. Just one wee part of a much bigger picture.  All season I've been critical of Cerny's distribution. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in so much as I thought speedy recycling of the ball was part of his game with which he struggled.  Lo and behold it turns out that he's more than just proficient at that aspect of the game.

Not meaning to be pernickety but slow deliberate movement out of defence has been symptomatic of our poor play all season. We're not equipped to play the direct game and relying on a more studied build up is all very well if you move the ball about with a bit of pace.  Btw I'm not singling out Cerny for additional criticism, he's a very good goalie, just highlighting a major flaw that's manifested itself this season.

We seem to have adopted a kinda hybrid style of play merging what was our normal game with a more direct approach. Failing in the former by dropping off pace and urgency. Failing in the latter, as Livi have just shown us, by not being any good at it. That's clearly been a managerial fault that should've been redressed many months ago. The way we started the game today, albeit only for a limited period, was the way we should've playing for most of the season. Maybe even at that the players would have let us down,  I have doubts about the quality of too many, but I rather think we would easily have avoided the bottom two positions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know it would have been papering over the cracks as they say but the annoying thing for me is another point and we would have finished 10th and Hamilton would have been in the play off. The 2 legs in the play off summed up our season we took the lead and ended up losing.The opposition go ahead and we cant get anything back.Big clear out on the way Archibald said that some players still with contracts have clauses that protects the club in case of relegation.Its not sour grapes but I think Livingston will struggle along with Hamilton I think they will be the bottom 2 next season.

Failing to move the ball quickly through midfield has been the problem most of the season. We have decent striking options and a reasonable number 10 in Erskine.

Woods coming in before New Year brought some organisation to the midfield and made us better defensively however he takes far too many touches and slows the play down. Today he was the most frustrating player to watch. Everytime he got the ball he checked backwards and forwards before deciding the five yard pass that was there to being with was the best option after all. When you see kids learning how to play you tell them 'know what you're going to do before the ball comes to you' he seems shocked to find the ball arriving at his feet and constantly trying to find a 40 yard wonder pass.

How on earth McCarthy wasn't playing regular until after New Year when you look at the option we had in midfield prior to then has is only beaten for by what happened to Penrice. Penrice must have sat on that bench today calling Archie all the names under the sun. How on earth can you recall a player who's playing top end of the championship and only play him 3 times when you're regular left back is injured?

If there's a silver lining to relegation it will be that we won't have to watch Edwards, Woods and Osman in  thistle team again. I would hope we will also be saved seeing Danny Devine and Christie Elliot again.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I know it would have been papering over the cracks as they say but the annoying thing for me is another point and we would have finished 10th and Hamilton would have been in the play off. The 2 legs in the play off summed up our season we took the lead and ended up losing.The opposition go ahead and we cant get anything back.Big clear out on the way Archibald said that some players still with contracts have clauses that protects the club in case of relegation.Its not sour grapes but I think Livingston will struggle along with Hamilton I think they will be the bottom 2 next season.

You could be right auld jag but if livvie keep that team together they will prove to be hard to break down by many teams next season and just like our team theres a good few players will sh1te themselves at the prospect. I think they are rank rotten as a footballing side but might be more effective than many think.

Hamilton = utter sh1te