Livingston 2nd leg

Auld Jag

Just now, BowenBoys said:

Didn't enjoy watching Livi, I must say. Their persistent diving managed to unsettle some of our players. The irony of Jags fans getting wound up by a time wasting keeper though...

That was a masterclass.  Watch and learn Tomas.  Alexander had as much possession as the rest of the Livi team put together.  And I don't blame him for that - I blame the ref.

It has been a dreadful season, the seeds of which were clearly sewn last season, despite our top six finish. I will frankly be delighted to see the back of some of those players we unfortunately had to endure. Abdul Osman- potentially the worst club captain in the football league, a total disgrace.

2 minutes ago, Albert's Ghost said:

That was a masterclass.  Watch and learn Tomas.  Alexander had as much possession as the rest of the Livi team put together.  And I don't blame him for that - I blame the ref.

I watched Alexander in the warm up.He spent most of his time practising booting the ball up the park,not shot stopping.

2 minutes ago, David Brent said:

It has been a dreadful season, the seeds of which were clearly sewn last season, despite our top six finish. I will frankly be delighted to see the back of some of those players we unfortunately had to endure. Abdul Osman- potentially the worst club captain in the football league, a total disgrace.

Out of our team today I would not be surprised if only Doolan and Erskine was still with us next season.

• Like 1

That team should have been booed of the park today in no uncertain terms     yet loads stood and applauded   why.      We just got relegated what was there to clap about .     A spineless gutless performance yet again.    A total clear out required from the top down.   I will wait to see what happens at the board meeting before thinking about renewing my season ticket............... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Out of our team today I would not be surprised if only Doolan and Erskine was still with us next season.

Has to be remembered that Doolan, Erskine and Cerny all have young families to support. They have to put them first. Three guys that have given everything to the club but could easily be away.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McD said:

That team should have been booed of the park today in no uncertain terms     yet loads stood and applauded   why.      We just got relegated what was there to clap about .     A spineless gutless performance yet again.    A total clear out required from the top down.   I will wait to see what happens at the board meeting before thinking about renewing my season ticket............... 

There were a lot of very angry fans at the front of the John Lambie stand shouting for Archie to f--k  off.I would also predict there will be a total clear out.What sort of team we will have next season is very hard to say. 

4 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Has to be remembered that Doolan, Erskine and Cerny all have young families to support. They have to put them first. Three guys that have given everything to the club but could easily be away.

It will probably be a very interesting close season with all the comings and goings.

having followed the jags through thick and mostly thin times over many a decade, at this moment in time i would like to express my admiration and appreciation to three thistle players

chris doolan, chris erskine and stevie lawless 

watching these three players especially this season , when selected,  i have nothing but admiration for their skill, and dedication to the cause

whatever happens i wish them all the very best for the future                              :worship:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

I clapped. There were guys on the park today who have made a massive contribution to some of the best times I've had following Thistle. Kris Doolan, Chris Erskine, Alan Archibald, Christie Elliott, Stevie Lawless. If I'm lucky I'm half a lifetime through watching Thistle; and these guys will all go down as major figures, some legends, at the club. Today may have been the last time I saw some of them. I don't know.

I'm sorry if my clapping offended. Actually, obviously I'm not.

• Like 3

I agree that the only 3 definites to keep are Erskine, Doolan and Cerny. Possibly Booth and Elliot too. But there is no point keeping any more because they’re failures.

We need a full reconstruction and I don’t think Archie is to be entrusted with this task. McColl started the process 7 years ago. Get him back now.

The players and managers dished up  a pathetic season which we had to endure till the middle of May. Thank God it’s over. Next season can’t be as bad. 

Start the new regime tomorrow.

Absolutely gutted, brings back bad memories of Dundee Utd ,  we didn't  get relegated because of today but our form in the 38 games before this. Agree with most of what  has been said , everything has been too cosy for too long Beattie, Maxi , Archie and Shaggy and we need cleaned out from top to bottom.

Archie  should now do the dignified thing and step down in respect of the Club, it's going to be so difficult to get back out of that league, lots of teams of a similar size and fanbase to us with the exception of Dundee Utd. 

So many mistakes over the season, not recruiting in January one of the biggest , not really having a formation that suited our players , giving Doolan limited game time throughout the season .

We need a manager whose remit should be to develop young players and give them a pathway into first team football,  that wasn't Archies forte in his 5 years with only Liam Lindsay and to a lesser extent Andy McCarthy coming to mind , not a great track record for that length of time .

Don't think this is going to be a quick fix.

We have sleep-walked into a desperately disappointing and potentially disastrous relegation. The most galling thing is that we wouldn't have had to have been very much better to have avoided this but we spurned so many opportunities to escape that we deserved to go down.  I don't necessarily go with the line that our players didn't try...they just don't have the right mix of ability and nerve.

Other than the full backs,  I reckoned that the side selected was our best line-up,  we tried to pass the ball and switch play but the fundamental flaws in this side were still there...we just don't make many clear cut chances. Neither McGinn or Elliot can beat their man or put in a decent cross and that makes it relatively easy to defend against us. When we started shelling high balls into the box, I knew the game was up.

It feels like the end of an era.  I'm sure Doolan and Eskine will be far more gutted at what happened than any supporter but they both had poor games today....Lawless had probably his best game ever and no doubt will find a club in the top League. McCarthy did not have a good game but he should have played more particularly in the first half of the season - it might be best for him to move on.  Cerny is a good keeper - why wasn't he told before today to release the ball early instead of punting it up the park? 

Of the rest, Booth is a decent left back, Barton has shown only glimpses of his ability on the ball but been very poor in midfield, Spittal has potential and had an excellent game today...I wouldn't miss any of the others if they didn't play for Thistle again.  Presumably, there were off-field issues but I am mystified why Gary Fraser was given an extension to his contract and then sent on loan while a journeyman in Woods played every game?...and why did Dumbuya not play either when he is better than McGinn and Elliot?...and what happened to Abdul Osman?  In the Season's defining moment he lay on the ground supposedly injured and left the space for Dundee to score their equaliser which sent us on the downward spiral to the Championship.

Archie is a real Thistle man and I hoped it would turn out differently but unfortunately there have been too many faults that can only be put down to managerial errors.

Edited by Winter of '63

6 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

and why did Dumbuya not play either when he is better than McGinn and Elliot?

I would love to know the answer to this question. Of all the players that were injured and due to return at New Year Dumbaya was the one who I expected the most impact from however Archie played him a handful of times at best and then ditched him.

The general consensus on this forum is that Moriniho and Ferguson would have struggled with this group of players.OK,so Archie picked the players  but if memory serves all of  them had good performances initially then faded. Don't know how you cope with that.

1 minute ago, cyprusjag said:

The general consensus on this forum is that Moriniho and Ferguson would have struggled with this group of players.OK,so Archie picked the players  but if memory serves all of  them had good performances initially then faded. Don't know how you cope with that.

Talk to them to find out why, motivate them, change the training. If the above fail, drop them and bring in some young boys keen to prove a point.

52 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

It's a damning indictment that the two guys we relied most heavily on this season were in fact Ian McCall signings. 

As watties dvwallies said, thank them for their service and wish them all the best, i'd be happy to see mccoll back if it comes to that. 

I'm no asking for any sackings they've all got families to feed but we can trace the happy times back to the roots of ian mccoll, he was a bit of a clusterfook in some regards off of the pitch but has sorted out his deamons by all accounts and it can be argued he was on route to taking us up. It was his team Ratnamara had and then Archie inherited which took us to the promised land. But would he come????

5 hours ago, dougie247 said:

Was genuinely not surprised when we missed the penalty..

Zero urgency in the team..

Couldn't believe the sideways and backwards passing in the second half.. and the passes were ******* awful too.. so many give aways..

Lawless and Doolan only 2 that get pass marks in my book

This. The most predictable part of our play. A team "playing for its life" casually plays the ball sideways and backwards, mostly in their own half. Typified by Barton runs 10 or 20 yards with the ball at his feet, stops, turns around, and passes the ball back 10 or 20 yards. Not an ounce of urgency in him; hope he's out the door.