Question for Lady-Isobel-Barnett or anybody who watches the development team.

Auld Jag

Easy answer is none of the youngsters that weren't out on loan. That's effectively because regardless of potential they're either too young and/or not yet physically developed. Sneddon the goalie maybe the one exception as an immediate back up if we were to lose either Cerny or Scully.

I can't answer for those who were out on loan but I know Lamont was highly thought of at Clyde. McLaughlin, who I'd term a natural goalscorer had been scoring for fun in the U20s but at what level he'll end up at is anyone's guess. So you may have the two mentioned joining McCarthy and Penrice plus Nisbet, who has played at Championship level.  

Callum Wilson (I hope that I have got his name right as I have a feeling that I have mixed him up with a Bournemouth striker!) always looks to be a sharp and creative player in what I see of the Development team highlights. He is perhaps even more impressive in interview, relaxed and able to inject more insight and humour than some of his age find it easy to do. Strikes me as a self-confident type who would not be fazed by the challenge of playing in the first team.

Would LIB or others have any thoughts on Callum? Might he have to bulk up a little without losing his speed and agility?

Lee Duncanson looks a prospect from the highlights that I saw. Only 17. 

I watched Clyde v Stirling near the end of the season. Neil McLaughlin is a difficult one to work out if he will make it at the top level.  He has a touch of class about him but I am not sure if he is athletic enough for the top level.  At his age, this could still change. Would be very surprised if he does not have a decent career ahead of him though. 

Mark Lamont also showed up well - got a bit of pace and put a few good crosses in.  He is 20 I think though so maybe not open to the same amount of improvement as Neil is. 

Edited by Alan Murray

45 minutes ago, Maestro said:

i think mclaughlin and lamont could really do a job both still very young and i think mclaughlin has scored over 50 goals in the last two seasons betweeh the development squad and his time at stirling

Not sure either is ready to start for us even in the championship. Would expect Neil to go back out on loan. 

11 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Our development squad seems to do an excellent job of providing young players for several other teams; but most those players don't ever become first-choice players in our own first team.

Not too sure I follow this. If we get one or two players a season able to step up to our level ( Premier league up till Sunday) then I'd consider that a success. Recently we've had Lindsay, Hendry, McCarthy & Penrice playing for us. If  players we release who aren't deemed "our level" get fixed up in other senior clubs below our status then I'd consider that an achievement. Something that will enhance the reputation of our whole youth set up.

I don't actually know the players you're meaning but take McDaid at Ayr as an example. Not likely to make it at top league so released by us. Drops a couple of divisions and plays an integral part in getting Ayr promoted. That in my mind only puts our youth development in a good light as long of course as we keep producing talent we can either keep or sell on like the four I mentioned.