Playing Squad Update

BowenBoys

Tuppens worth, it might be that the club are doing right by the keown group and if offers come in the club are advising they will not be hard to deal with.

If no offer comes we might again make those players an offer. I'd be happy for keown to stay, hes a prospect at the level we are at and will be interesting to watch his progress. Barton? Like a few posters on here i just can't make up my mind. One game he's hopeless, misplaced passing and light weight, then the following game he appears almost magestic.....i said almost! 

1 hour ago, jigjag said:

I'm sorry and I genuinely hope I'm proved wrong, but if you seriously believe that with Archie's transfer history he can rebuild a team over a few weeks that will challenge for the title then I'm afraid you are letting your heart rule your head.  His signing history is pretty dire I'd say.  Why didn't he trust Penrice over the last portion of the season instead of shoe horning  Christie in there? Why did it take him the vast majority of the season to finally start playing Macarthy in midfield when everyone and his dug could see he was a better option than the players he was starting? Ironically he has now decided to keep both of them. His attacking signings have been , to put it mildly disappointing. Take Dools and Erskines goals out over the last 2 seasons and the stats are pretty dire. I'd say his scouting network and ability to spot a gem for reasonable or no money in the lower leagues  is pretty dire.  He is not going to have the luxury of blooding young players because it's pretty clear the board have given him one season plus he's not exactly known for taking risks. Add to this his teams notorious slow stars to the season with fairly settled teams and for me it's the recipe for scraping in to the play offs at best. Anyway I'm away to change my wet knickers. 

You have, probably, voiced the concern of many. I'm going to go with my heart for a few weeks.

21 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Tuppens worth, it might be that the club are doing right by the keown group and if offers come in the club are advising they will not be hard to deal with.

If no offer comes we might again make those players an offer. I'd be happy for keown to stay, hes a prospect at the level we are at and will be interesting to watch his progress. Barton? Like a few posters on here i just can't make up my mind. One game he's hopeless, misplaced passing and light weight, then the following game he appears almost magestic.....i said almost! 

At one point I thought Keown was going to be our future captain. Injuries and lack of form have made him half the player he was  in his start with us.

Playing next to the likes of Barton and Devine every week hasn't helped. The loss of Liam  lindsay has totally undone us. To be honest there was no confidence left in any of the squad and we had slipped into a spiral of losing and I think the more of them gone the better. The template for a promotion winning team is the same as the last time we came up, young pacy ,attacking with a couple of old heads.Whether  that can be built in one pre-season ,...... I doubt it.

The first thing we need to do is break the cycle of losing and the mindset we are second best to every team we play. If that means getting rid of as many as possible...so be it

• Like 1

Need to bring in a couple of natural leaders over the summers. Hopefully 5 or 6 experienced players and I can see the squad being bolstered by some loan/ temporary transfer type signings. Being down a league means we can get more of these from the Premiership than we could last season. With the older lads from the development squad being jettisoned and the new reserve league coming into play I can see us picking up a few players from the freed lists at some of the bigger clubs.

I wonder if we targeted any players on PCAs? I guess we will find that out soon enough.

40 minutes ago, angry gaz said:

At one point I thought Keown was going to be our future captain. Injuries and lack of form have made him half the player he was  in his start with us.

Playing next to the likes of Barton and Devine every week hasn't helped. The loss of Liam  lindsay has totally undone us. To be honest there was no confidence left in any of the squad and we had slipped into a spiral of losing and I think the more of them gone the better. The template for a promotion winning team is the same as the last time we came up, young pacy ,attacking with a couple of old heads.Whether  that can be built in one pre-season ,...... I doubt it.

The first thing we need to do is break the cycle of losing and the mindset we are second best to every team we play. If that means getting rid of as many as possible...so be it

I do agree with this. Our early season form seeneed to create an anxiety around the whole club,  which we never recovered from. 

37 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

At 29 league appearances in  10 years, surely Ryan Scully must be a near record-holder at Thistle for the longest term serves with the least amount of games played? Was time that he was moved on. 

And he’s no very good 

3 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

At 29 league appearances in  10 years, surely Ryan Scully must be a near record-holder at Thistle for the longest term serves with the least amount of games played? Was time that he was moved on. 

What he lacked in game time he made up for in goals conceded

10 hours ago, jigjag said:

I'm sorry and I genuinely hope I'm proved wrong, but if you seriously believe that with Archie's transfer history he can rebuild a team over a few weeks that will challenge for the title then I'm afraid you are letting your heart rule your head.  His signing history is pretty dire I'd say.  Why didn't he trust Penrice over the last portion of the season instead of shoe horning  Christie in there? Why did it take him the vast majority of the season to finally start playing Macarthy in midfield when everyone and his dug could see he was a better option than the players he was starting? Ironically he has now decided to keep both of them. His attacking signings have been , to put it mildly disappointing. Take Dools and Erskines goals out over the last 2 seasons and the stats are pretty dire. I'd say his scouting network and ability to spot a gem for reasonable or no money in the lower leagues  is pretty dire.  He is not going to have the luxury of blooding young players because it's pretty clear the board have given him one season plus he's not exactly known for taking risks. Add to this his teams notorious slow stars to the season with fairly settled teams and for me it's the recipe for scraping in to the play offs at best. Anyway I'm away to change my wet knickers. 

While I agree with a lot you have said this is all the negative points.The positives are that he was our manager when we got promotion.I know a lot of fans say that was not his team,but I think I am right in saying we were unbeaten in the league  under Archibald.He kept us in the top league for 5 seasons.He now has the chance to rebuild the team which would be his team.I think it is clear if we are not at least challenging for promotion he will be gone. I know we are taking a chance but even if we had sacked him and replaced him no matter who we got in we would be taking a chance.

So give Archie this season

In my opinion there are major issues hanging over his decisions

what i think most people are annoyed about are his bizarre team selection some times.. constantly playing players out of postilion.. sticking with players who should of been benched.. Not being able to use subs to change our shape on the pitch..  And in my eyes at least not using our academy players,, Penrice should of been featured a lot more in the team.

Its clear other teams knew our formation shape and style of play.. He was unable or refused to change that..

that all sounds quite negative.. we just got relegated so yes it is.

I do believe our core group of players are fantastic and we do have the academy to back us up.. lets just hope we use it

Ill be there next year.. looking forward to it :)

6 hours ago, dougie247 said:

Did Dumbuya actually walk out???

If so shocking behavior considering how much we have stuck by him :/

No idea, but he was on the bench at Almondvale. We had two full backs on the bench for the 2nd leg and two right backs in the starting XI. So feel aggrieved by all means but re the bigger picture??? 

One of the issues Archie needs to address is why his teams start so slowly every season. Has been a key feature over the last few years.   The other point I would make is not convinced by cerny for next season . Yes pulls off good saves but could have done a lot better in a lot of games e.g away to livi.  His kicking is poor and also has been out injured frequently over the last few seasons.

53 minutes ago, dibble said:

The other point I would make is not convinced by cerny for next season . Yes pulls off good saves but could have done a lot better in a lot of games e.g away to livi.  His kicking is poor and also has been out injured frequently over the last few seasons.

Raised the question earlier in the week about why Tomas started the last game with a completely different ethos re quickly recycling the ball, long throw outs etc. Why the **** has he not been doing that every time we've been chasing a game. I know it's not fully his fault but if the goalie can't be arsed distributing the ball expediently then it increases the likelihood that those given the ball will also be inflicted with that sort of lack of urgency.

Modern day goalies are far more involved in build up play these days. Cerny is a dinosaur in regards to that and infuriating to watch at times. Very good keeper but I often get this feeling he's a law unto himself.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, angry gaz said:

Any thoughts on the older heads? Centre halfs or midfield?

Few questions being raised about Cerny, but I do have to point something out: statistically he made more successful saves than any goalkeeper in the Premiership this season. You can argue that is easy to do when your defence is so sh1t3, however, if not for him we could have been relegated a lot sooner.

I'm struggling to come up with an alternative to cerney but then i'm no scout.

Happy he's on board and has the summer to work on his kick outs and quick distibution. 

I think Liverpool might have a reject keeper going cheap tonight.........

Only problem with Cerny is his injuries. I hope Sneddon is decent as at some point next season he'll probably need to play half a dozen games.

I'm not sure we can expect Archie to recruit a squad of young players and turn them into league winners in year one. I can see a need for guys like Paton who bring a bit of experience and 'nastiness' back to a midfield which has been soft at best. He might also bring on McCarthy who might find he gets less time on the ball in the championship compared to the premier.

after last season its got to be back to basics

goalkeeper    cerny

defence   domineering center half

midfield creative ball winning player

center forward  doolan

in other words a strong spine for the team

captain should be either center half or center midfield

next season we pick a team that goes out to win every game home and away

win lose or draw the team gives it 100%

no more playing guys out of position 

we play to our strengths we are partick thistle

and we are going to kick the s*** out of everybody that stands in our way

onwards and upwards lets get behind the jags

it's down to you archie lets get the show on the road  :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, allyo said:

I really don't agree with this. When played in his correct position I think Christie Elliott has become a very good player.

What do you think his best position is?

Personally I don't think he has one but he is useful to us because he will player anywhere he's asked and usually give a 6/10 performance. To me he's the ideal guy to have on the bench to cover for injuries but not a starter.