Freddie Frans

Jaggernaut

9 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Frans was good. I am not too fussed with not getting him. Booth was good as a wing back, as a defender he could be slack. I liked booth. Rather have kept him, but if Archie plays Penrice there then I am fine with that. As regards player recruitment, yes, It seems as if our rivals are streets ahead of us and that we have only signed two is frustrating. I think the three players we want off the books are making it difficult 'e budgets. I think come 1st July we will see a fair bit of movement.

Agree.I said a few weeks back the 3 on the transfer list could be  a problem, as we don't know  what budget or players we  have until we know if they are going or staying.

55 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

No. But on the surface I find it strange that of all the clubs in the Championship, we have probably the biggest rebuild job, and have yet made the least number of new additions. Adding to this is the frustration of Archie once again coming out and saying "we are behind everyone else in terms of preparation."

Fair enough but not outbidding United for Frans has little or nothing to do with us not signing other players. Whereas outbidding United for Frans could well have an influence on our subsequent signings

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Why this persistence in talking about Penrice as a left back.  He is a central midfielder who can play at left back, much like Banzo. We need a dedicated left back.

Is he? It was my understanding he was a left back but played midfield for livi. Thats news to me if thats the case

Penrice has always played left back for us (except I think one game where he played left in a back three).  He played at left back for Livvy but also a good number of games in midfield.  It makes sense when you consider some of his attributes: he is fast, can run well with the ball and deliver a great cross.  That can easily make him a decent prospect in a left midfield position.  For me, considering how good he's looked the few times he's played for the big team I think he should be a shoe-in for the Championship.  After all he played some months for Livvy and did well with them.  The fact that he's played a wee bit in other positions is all to the good as I should imagine we won't  have as big a squad this season as in the premiership.  Not to play him (assuming fit and on form) would be a disgrace and undermine our youth policy.

Agree with others who say the 3 guys on the transfer list may be holding us back a bit.  

Edited by Mr Bunny
  • Like 1

Not bothered about missing out on Frans. He may have been good at Championship level but I didn't feel he was good enough for Premiership. Whilst we should obviously be looking to sign players that will get us out of this division, I think those who would be signed on longer contracts, and be at the higher end of the pay scale, would need to be able to step up a level.

Good guy Frans, he had the club at heart. No great loss though.