phoenix1876

117 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel now that he has left

• Really happy that hes gone.
    • Pleased with it.
    • 50/50 happy and sad
    • sad, he was a good manager
    • really unhappy

I think it's bad for the stability of the club. He's put in place a good professional set-up with scouts, a youth network and an ability to sign players and improve them. Whether we can take that on with a new manager remains to be seen.

I'd have loved for Ian McCall to have had the chance to work to his five year plan without having the carpet whipped from beneath his feet every summer. We'll never know how good a manager he could've been for our club and this is all coming from someone who never wanted him in the first place.

Hopefully he has left us with a legacy that can help our club survive with the youth set-up we now have and the fact the first division is going to see most teams having to seriously cut their cloth next season. The next appointment has to be the right one. If it's another Bunnet, then it could very well be game over for PTFC.

Sad he's left coz he's done a good job for us overall....however, he's gone now and I'm excited about the future (which is seriously misplaced because out Club has a woeful track record when it comes to hiring the right managers).

Why stop there we could lease the manager's job or put it out to tender. Would outsourcing the manager's job work? :unsure:

:)

I have never been the greatest fan of McCall and his narrow style of play so I am not too concerned to see him go. What the problem for Thistle is now is to get someone better - I don't really believe that we will be able to do that - so better the devil you know.

The big plus for McCall - and he deserve much credit for this - is the youth policy he has put in place. If his legacy is that we start to produce our own fine players then he will have had a major positive influence on the club way beyond his tenure as manager.

So yes, I'm 50/50

Im sad that he has gone was a really good Manager and one who's legacy will be felt at the club for a long time provided the board dont stuff it up.

I just hope he wasnt shafted big time by the board. WOrries me that Tom Hughes who is supposedly no longer a director was able to inform us that was a difference of opinion that caused him to leave. Surely someone who is supposedly not on the board would be such in the know. But also seeing Eddie Prentice yesterday obviously clearly still at the club probably indicates that these chaps have not entirely quit the board.

I just hope its not a case of the good guy McCall has gone and we are left with the bad guys Beattie, Hughes etc. But who really knows, certainly not me. But yes very sad that a good Manager has gone though I realise not one individual is bigger than our beloved Partick Thistle.

One season when we pretended to challenge but really didn't, we weren't very good that year and were all but a 'one man team' sne he subsequently left.

Failed to motivate the players time and time again, failed to pick the right formation time and time again. Also failed to choose the right tactics, make the right substitutions, bring in the right players and change tactics during a game. People can blame finances and the like but there was more to it than money, he really wasn't a very good manager.

His managerial barometer from his previous clubs begins at 'average' and goes to 'uuter pish'.

His only legacy is what appears to be a potentially fruitful youth system...notably he wasn't actually involved with this.

Despite calling for his head for a long time I was actually starting to warm to him a little more in recent months but I'm looking forward to a change.

Regardless of opinions of McCall's tenure there's an underlying worry about the nature of his departure. If for instance he's left for a clearly better job then all well and good. But if the "professional reasons" turn out to be the Board going back on promises or imposing some additional stricture that would affect his ability to manage then imo that puts an entirely different complexion on his decision to quit.

At the moment I'm far from convinced that a difference of opinion isn't just another way of saying that someone other than the manager has been trying to influence matters to do with the playing/management staff.

So even if you are pleased McCall is no longer the team manager you might just worry as to the why.

never a jags man in a hundred years decimated the team and fans .

look at our crowds heading towards the one thousand mark,

get duffy in now

I'd hate to see Duffy ever back at Thistle. He's no more a Jags man than Chick Young is a St Mirren fan.

As for McCall, I'll wait and see what his next career move is before I decide if I am angry about him leaving.

We have a lot to thank him for regarding the youth policy though.

never a jags man in a hundred years decimated the team and fans .

look at our crowds heading towards the one thousand mark,

get duffy in now

Duffy you're having a laugh. McCall worked hard for Thistle, put a great youth structure in place, did his best with very limited funds. As for crowds, I don't think the state of the pitch or more importantly the state of scottish football can be blamed on McCall.

The question is, given the money available (next to nothing) who will we get next?

I'd hate to see Duffy ever back at Thistle. He's no more a Jags man than Chick Young is a St Mirren fan.

As for McCall, I'll wait and see what his next career move is before I decide if I am angry about him leaving.

We have a lot to thank him for regarding the youth policy though.

I nearly voted 50/50 but opted for pleased. For me his heart's not been in it for a couple of seasons and managers always come and go, and we need some freshening. Get the wrong man or team in and it can get worse but on the other hand, it could get better too. As Bill Hicks said, it's just a ride.

Jim Duffy may be from the area and have played for us for a couple of successful seasons, BUT, he's always seemed more interested in Dundee than us, for some reason. I lived there for a couple of years and can't abide Dundee FC, so that doesn't endear Duffy to me. I expect he'd do a good job but I'm not pining for the return of a prodigal son.

Edited by beep0608

I'm a bit concerned as to why McCall left. Heard some saying in the aitken suite that he was asked to take a pay cut that brought about his resignation. Let's be honest here, we ain't gona find out. We will speculate and debate it to death on here but we'll never know. It's also fair to say if the board make a statement to try clear things up, some will believe them, some won't. Same applied to McCall.

McCall brought, in general, a better quality of player to firhill. He had some times when the team played some very entertaining football. He had times when we played some awful football (this applies to most managers and most teams). We have a very promising youth structure and we need to utilise it and improve it.

The club has been in a decline since Lambie left. There was the odd good day (Peterhead) but generally crowds have dropped and general apathy towards the club was there long before McCall became manager. He steadied things. He made enimies of some of the support along the way. He wasn't always the easiest of people to get along with.

some of the demands from us is (in my opinion) a bit over the top. Some of us are just never happy (or at least give the impression thats how we feel). It seems some want to find fault in everything connected to PTFC. Sure we all have the right to express our views and we have a right to want the best for the club and it to be the best it can be but some just find a fault in everything.

eg. think to the night we beat stirling 6-1. a night when we should have been focusing on the victory and TIAS (Adam spark) just wanted to use the forum to run the board down and ask about finances...not one post if i recall about the team's victory that night.

We have Jackie in place just now, he has a chance to prove himself....one day and one game in and his touch line antics are being called into question. We wanted some of the youngsters to play 90 mins. Jackie does that and he's critisized. Let's give the guy a chance. Friday morning he never thought he was going to be manager. He's been coaching the youngsters we hope to succeed at the club. May be our next manager is already in the job.

I'm thankful that McCall brought a bit of stability to the club. He could have done a better job but he could also have been a lot worse. Disappointed it ended so suddenly. Life goes on, PTFC are bigger than any one individual. Best of luck to Jackie in the position he is in. I hope he gets the job full time because that will mean we have got some good results in the next 4 matches.

I know it sounds a bit strange, but I'm less distressed by McCall's leaving than I should be. When I got texted on Friday afternoon I was a bit down, but more 'Well, that's that'. I realised that I actually thought I liked McCall as our manager more than I actually did in reality. The thing for me is that what McCall likes most in the world is Ian McCall, and anything that interferes with that is an inconvenience. Whatever he does, good luck to him, but he might want to look back on his time here with some fondness. We don't pay great, but you get paid, and he's been subjected to significantly less criticism and examination of his actions than a (so-called) higher profile post might deliver. See you in the North Star Cafe, Ian....

I know it sounds a bit strange, but I'm less distressed by McCall's leaving than I should be. When I got texted on Friday afternoon I was a bit down, but more 'Well, that's that'. I realised that I actually thought I liked McCall as our manager more than I actually did in reality. The thing for me is that what McCall likes most in the world is Ian McCall, and anything that interferes with that is an inconvenience. Whatever he does, good luck to him, but he might want to look back on his time here with some fondness. We don't pay great, but you get paid, and he's been subjected to significantly less criticism and examination of his actions than a (so-called) higher profile post might deliver. See you in the North Star Cafe, Ian....

There's a couple of sentences in there that you should either have accompanied with an "IMO" or maybe qualified by saying you're a trained psychologist. I've been in McCall's company a few times and never found him egotistical but then again I'm not a trained psychologist.

I also heard one of the more down to earth novice managers, Danny Lennon, refer to himself on radio yesterday in the third person. I don't believe in his more triumphant moments I've ever heard McCall do that.

I feel we should all maybe take a step back from judging McCall & his departure till at least we can join the dots together.

Its all bad! Where do we afford an experienced manager from now? I am concerned not only by the reason(s) behind McCalls departure but also the excitement with which our BoD announced Jackie Macs takeover! Looks like it will be another novice for the job, cos he's cheap! It could be another disaster!

There's a couple of sentences in there that you should either have accompanied with an "IMO" or maybe qualified by saying you're a trained psychologist. I've been in McCall's company a few times and never found him egotistical but then again I'm not a trained psychologist.

I also heard one of the more down to earth novice managers, Danny Lennon, refer to himself on radio yesterday in the third person. I don't believe in his more triumphant moments I've ever heard McCall do that.

I feel we should all maybe take a step back from judging McCall & his departure till at least we can join the dots together.

I'd agree about McCall's ego. One thing that always impressed me about him was that he was quite comfortable to say in public at the MTM nights that he wasn't any good at something, but he'd brought in AN Other to do that. Many other managers make it appear that they are at the centre of absolutely everything that happens at their club when they are, in reality, in the exact same position. That recognition in itself makes him a good manager (in the general sense of the word)

I wonder where Lennon picked up the third person trick :thinking:. You'd never catch Allan Heron doing something like that.

Edited by Allan Heron

Failed to motivate the players time and time again, failed to pick the right formation time and time again. Also failed to choose the right tactics, make the right substitutions, bring in the right players and change tactics during a game.

All comments made about John Lambie all through his time at the club as well.

I was working at sky on the wee telephones and i spoke to a customer about 6 months ago or so. The customer was a jags fan who had spoken to mr mcCall around the time of the dundee fiasco, in which ian McCall got told he was told by the Dundee folk he was about to get the job at Dens park, in Relation to this he spoke to a Mr Gordon Chisholm and said to him "look im about to be the new Dundee manager and i want you to be assistant". Afterwards Chisholm spoke to Dundee and said to them look ill be your manager for less than what your giving McCall.

Dundee accepted.

Im not sure how legite this is, but after hearing that and many other stories in relation to dundee, There wasnt any passion or anything.

I wasnt a fan of McCall getting the job, gave him a chance and surprised me the first few seasons in charge, then it all just tumbled down from there and im glad hes left.

I don't think we'll get anyone better. He has his downsides, but any manager in the Scottish First Division is going to be in the same position. We can go for one of the usual, uninspiring suspects who I don't think will be an improvement on McCall, or we can take a risk in search of the 'next Owen Coyle'. Given the financial situation at Firhill, the ever decreasing playing budget, I think (admittedly from a distance) that McCall was doing a more than decent job and it will be very difficult for the new man to improve on where we are just now.

As an aside - I hope we aren't even considering another joint managerial team. If we're going with McNamara then fair enough, I understand the reasons although it's unquestionably a risk, but just give him the job on his own.

Very intrigued to real reasons to why he actually left??? what was the point in him signing up people for next season???

the fly bugger has something else lined up

not sad he has left tbh...he has been as clueless as Campbell at times...but the last 6 months or so results have been better!!

Bring on Chico and Duffy....another one in the eye for the bully wee :D