1971 - What A Sensation!

Col

Honestly, i think it's pretty sad and pathetic, still dining out on a cup we won 40 years ago! Suppose it's a good way for the club to make money though

what reaction for a guy just speaking his mind .

their is nothing wrong with raising funds for the club its just that we have won nothing major for 40 years and yes we are struggling for something to celebrate .

don't think you would get many going to one of lambies league wins but maybe

a peterhead night with some of the players turning up would appeal more to the younger generation .

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

their is nothing wrong with raising funds for the club its just that we have won nothing major for 40 years and yes we are struggling for something to celebrate .

a peterhead night with some of the players turning up would appeal more to the younger generation .

I'd argue that the back to back titles were major.

Winning the league cup in 71 against THAT Celtic side, however,should never be forgotten and always celebrated.

Never, forget our history.

Are you having a laugh?

you think you would get a bigger turn out for a Peterhead celebration with Dick and his band who finished 4th in the league, than you would a night celebrating the back to back winners that took us to the SPL?

Are you having a laugh?

you think you would get a bigger turn out for a Peterhead celebration with Dick and his band who finished 4th in the league, than you would a night celebrating the back to back winners that took us to the SPL?

personally speaking yes i do

Ive met a few of the lads that played in that game who have since moved on from thistle ,

and they say it was the best game they played in ,

i'm sure they would love to come back and meet the fans over a meal and pint and speak about the game ,

don't think we ever really got to say well done the players after the game ,

winning at peterhead was just like winning the league whether we were 1st or 4th

personally speaking yes i do

Ive met a few of the lads that played in that game who have since moved on from thistle ,

and they say it was the best game they played in ,

i'm sure they would love to come back and meet the fans over a meal and pint and speak about the game ,

don't think we ever really got to say well done the players after the game ,

winning at peterhead was just like winning the league whether we were 1st or 4th

stop being daft.

There may be a generation gap thingy here. I'd drop everything and travel across the globe to make it to a 1971 celebration. I'd probably go along to Firhill to celebrate an evening with Dick's Daredevils, but only if I wasn't doing anything else. It might be the other way round for younger supporters.

There may be a generation gap thingy here. I'd drop everything and travel across the globe to make it to a 1971 celebration. I'd probably go along to Firhill to celebrate an evening with Dick's Daredevils, but only if I wasn't doing anything else. It might be the other way round for younger supporters.

I'm 35, I've witnessed the promotion winning team of the early 90's... the tennents 6's winning team... the back to back lambie teams and the DC team that stole a wage off the paying customers finishing 4th and scraping into the 1st division via the back door.

Believe you me, i have no inclination to spend any time what so ever with the likes of stevie nicholas, sean kilgannon, adam strachan, grant murray, sandy hodge, billy gibson, jimmy gibson, stephen mcconalogue etc.

Meanwhile back on track.... here's looking forward to celebrating the team of '71. :thumbsup2:

I'm 35, I've witnessed the promotion winning team of the early 90's... the tennents 6's winning team... the back to back lambie teams and the DC team that stole a wage off the paying customers finishing 4th and scraping into the 1st division via the back door.

Believe you me, i have no inclination to spend any time what so ever with the likes of stevie nicholas, sean kilgannon, adam strachan, grant murray, sandy hodge, billy gibson, jimmy gibson, stephen mcconalogue etc.

Meanwhile back on track.... here's looking forward to celebrating the team of '71. :thumbsup2:

Now that you mention it..... :lol:

Actually, no need to invite them!

:D

'Believe you me, i have no inclination to spend any time what so ever with the likes of stevie nicholas, sean kilgannon, adam strachan, grant murray, sandy hodge, billy gibson, jimmy gibson, stephen mcconalogue etc.'

This could be the best post EVER put on the forum. It should be inscribed across the entrance to every turnstile in the Jackie Husband....

Can anybody name this picture of the 71 Heroes?

STJ - I think you are the guy who has the excellent site with vintage Thistle photographs. You may be a bit younger than me and therefore not immediately recognise the players from the '71 team - they are:-

Jackie Campbell, Jimmy Bone, Alan Rough,Frank Coulston, Johnny Gibson, Denis McQuade, The Lord Provost, Alex Rae, David McParland, John Hansen, Chairman James Aitken, Alex Forsyth, Bobby Lawrie and Hugh Strachan.

Not sure why Ronnie Glavin - my all time favourite Thistle player - is not in the photo.

I remember when Davie Mac retired from playing and became manager a lot of us were saying how we thought he'd packed in prematurely, but I'm still not sure what age he actually was. Nothing on Wiki about this. Does anybody know how old he was when he took over the hot seat from Scot Symon?

For some reason 35 comes to mind. First game for us in 1953, and from the Official History it looks like his last game was a 2-2 Glasgow Cup match against the h uns, 15 April, 1969. Let's say he was 18 when he started, that would make him 34 or 35 (depending on his birthday). Seems about right. However, it's not clear what his role was during the terrible 1969-70 season when we got relegated; he's in a suit in the squad photo from that season. Coach? In charge of the Reserves?

For some reason 35 comes to mind. First game for us in 1953, and from the Official History it looks like his last game was a 2-2 Glasgow Cup match against the h uns, 15 April, 1969. Let's say he was 18 when he started, that would make him 34 or 35 (depending on his birthday). Seems about right. However, it's not clear what his role was during the terrible 1969-70 season when we got relegated; he's in a suit in the squad photo from that season. Coach? In charge of the Reserves?

Yes, probably mid-30s I reckon. I think he was assigned some sort of role under Symon before taking over; maybe the youth set-up, reserves or something similar. That would help to explain how he came by so many good young players who just seemed to 'emerge' following the highly forgettable 69-70 campaign.

As an aside, I think Roughie featured for the first time in the league against St Mirren(?) in the last game, at home, of the 69-70 season. I had seen Roughie play for Scotland under 18s earlier that year against Holland at Hunbrox.