Just In

angry gaz

I await the crys of, there's always one, so i'll be that one.

But before I say anything, I had a great night, Thistle did play some fantastic football especially in the second half, most enjoyable.

However this wee love in that is the just in thread paints a false picture, Morton were pretty poor all night, and for the first half hour at least we weren't that much better, and if it wasn't for Morton being poor it could have been much different, they had some great chances they squandered.

Also, it was only 2-0 when their dude was sent packing,so Morton down to 10 men and our resulting 3rd was due to one mans idiocy.

To make things clear before I get a hounding, i'm not on a downer, i'm still very much on high from last night, big smiles and a spring in my step and everything (even after sitting with my English fiancee watching the rugby) and Thistle did play some fantastic football.

I'm just saying, 5-0 and this thread are going together to paint a picture of the game that I consider false.

Sorry

Fair enough, even before the game I was convinced that Morton were false leaders and wouldn't be there come Christmas never mind May. But they had some nice moves and had us on the rack for 10-15 minutes in the 2nd half. They pull one back then, and its a different game. But by the time they went down to 10 men their bubble had burst, and we were back on top by then.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought Thistle were excellent on the break all night. Morton looked ok first half, front two will win them a lot of games all season, and the wee black guy at number 8 looked ok on the ball, but distinctly average in comparison to us all over the pitch elsewhere.

Thought that was Balatoni's best game for us, read the game well, absolutely brilliant. Sinclair going forward is so good to watch. Kyle Hutton is superb, WE NEED TO KEEP HIM UNTIL END OF SEASON!! Our only hope is if we're top of the league and the boy wants to stay, other than that, he'll be down south in the championship or league one. He's the anchor of our team just now, and I love the freedom it's giving Rowser to break forward.

Paul Cairney at left midfield is a revelation. With Sinclair on the overlap, we're looking dangerous down there. Cairney's fitness definitely improved, he tracks back and doesn't stop running all night, really pleased with his form. Stephen O'Donnell was fantastic all night, well deserved motm. Good change of pace, looks like he'll be an important player for us.

Elliot lookin better every week, still needs to work on his hold up play, couple of times he came short, and his first touch lost us posession in our half. He is improving though, his first few performances I thought he didn't look up enough and just got the head down and tried to run past players, but he looks like he's getting used to playing better quality defenders, and is improving every week. He's also got a knack of showing up in the right position for goals.

I think him and Doolan can do well together, but I'd prefer Doolan dropping short as he's got the touches, and Elliot going long in behind their defence.

Overall, delighted, well done Jackie and the boys, bring on the Raith, if we get some decent away form, we'll be there or thereabouts come May.

Edited to add, one major problem from last night was the conceding of free kicks around our box, and that everyone of them near enough ended up with a morton player heading easily in our box, need to improve on that.

Edited by chunky jag

genuine question, as i pay little attention to spl football, do rangers have better players in that position than Hutton?

Steven Davis and edu so prpbably not but he wont be going down south, imo he either goes back to rangers or stays with us, surely he will improve more playing every game for us than being rotated down south also it gives the rangers coaching staff a better opportunity to keep an eye on him

I'm still grinning like a cheshire cat.

We were excellent last night, totally exploited Morton's weaknesses with regard to their defence holding a high line. Some of the showboating near the end was fabulous. It really should have been 7 or 8-0, reckon 5-0 flattered Morton.

O'Donnell is superb. Thought he looked impressive last week but was even better last night, his pass for Doolan was exquisite.

Everything about last night was fantastic.

Even before the game, the Woody and Star were busy, which gave you a good feeling about there being a decent crowd. Walking up to the ground I saw a couple of hundred Morton fans still waiting to get in, I didn't expect that.

There seemed to be quite an exciting vibe around in the JHS before we scored the first goal, I think the friday night aspect and Morton bringing a great support through helped that.

Getting the first goal so early was crucial and from then on it was an enjoyable night. Last night reminded me I love Firhill under the floodlights.

Best atmosphere since the Dundee United cup games a couple of years back, I thought. Section 1&2 were excellent and from what I could see/hear it followed on through the stand.

A MASSIVE win for us and a real signal of intent. Delighted with the clean sheet as well. All we need to do now is start picking up points away from home.

Overall, delighted, well done Jackie and the boys, bring on the Raith, if we get some decent away form, we'll be there or thereabouts come May.

Edited to add, one major problem from last night was the conceding of free kicks around our box, and that everyone of them near enough ended up with a morton player heading easily in our box, need to improve on that.

This (our away points tally must start to get better soon, surely to God).

and this (and that was without Willie-K playing!).

I'm still grinning like a cheshire cat.

We were excellent last night, totally exploited Morton's weaknesses with regard to their defence holding a high line. Some of the showboating near the end was fabulous. It really should have been 7 or 8-0, reckon 5-0 flattered Morton.

O'Donnell is superb. Thought he looked impressive last week but was even better last night, his pass for Doolan was exquisite.

Inch-perfect. And Dools took it well. Looking forward to seeing all the goals on video.

I enjoyed the game, but IMO Friday Night Football wasn't a success. We had at least a couple of hundred more home fans at the Ayr game, the crowd has been inflated by Morton's travelling support, and to be honest, once the novelty wears off the crowds will keep going down for it.

Not complaining about the result or performance though, terrific.

Everything about last night was fantastic.

Even before the game, the Woody and Star were busy, which gave you a good feeling about there being a decent crowd. Walking up to the ground I saw a couple of hundred Morton fans still waiting to get in, I didn't expect that.

Not everything was fantastic - they only opened 1 turnstile for the 'Ton fans so many didn't get in until 10/15 minutes after kick off - simply not good enough. A few of my 'ton mates also bemoaned the lack of food available (nae pies again) in the shack under their seats - 2 of them had come straight from work and were pure haank marvin but had to go to the chippy after the game. How many times do the catering and matchday experience need to be flagged up before they sort it out.

Apart from that 5-0 was perfection - although could have done with a pint or 2 to lubricate my whistle!

Not everything was fantastic - they only opened 1 turnstile for the 'Ton fans so many didn't get in until 10/15 minutes after kick off - simply not good enough. A few of my 'ton mates also bemoaned the lack of food available (nae pies again) in the shack under their seats - 2 of them had come straight from work and were pure haank marvin but had to go to the chippy after the game. How many times do the catering and matchday experience need to be flagged up before they sort it out.

Apart from that 5-0 was perfection - although could have done with a pint or 2 to lubricate my whistle!

Not true all the north stand turnstiles were open. Situatuon not helped by folk turning up at 7.40 and scores of 20year olds trying to get in the U16 gate. Police wre having to physically drag them out as they were causing the queues to back up. I do however have concern over under 10's going through the gate when their parent is say 10th in line for the adult gate. Afew bewildered and frightened kids and concerned parents.

Sheesh! :rolleyes: some of these comments are truly beyond belief ...

... several hundred (800-ish?) morton fans show up on a pishin wet Friday night to support their team with empty bellies and laden with cash in their pockets - cash which goes to our club remember - and we treat a couple of hundred of them them like feckin lepers ... sounds like a great business strategy straight out the Dens Park experience handbook. Wonder how many happy morton fans will be enticed back after that.

Sheesh! :rolleyes: some of these comments are truly beyond belief ...

... several hundred (800-ish?) morton fans show up on a pishin wet Friday night to support their team with empty bellies and laden with cash in their pockets - cash which goes to our club remember - and we treat a couple of hundred of them them like feckin lepers ... sounds like a great business strategy straight out the Dens Park experience handbook. Wonder how many happy morton fans will be enticed back after that.

Maybe, just maybe they could try turning up for the match on time and then not all try and chance it in the u16 gate...

Still, a vast improvement on the way us Jags fans are treated at Cappielow.

Not true all the north stand turnstiles were open. Situatuon not helped by folk turning up at 7.40 and scores of 20year olds trying to get in the U16 gate. Police wre having to physically drag them out as they were causing the queues to back up. I do however have concern over under 10's going through the gate when their parent is say 10th in line for the adult gate. Afew bewildered and frightened kids and concerned parents.

Been in that situation myself over the years all for the want of a bit of common sense and planning.

Compared to Cappileow, we are.

Eye test for Grant B:

Y O U

m u s t

b e f e c

c k i n g j

o k i n g o r

b l i n d a s a

b l o o d y b a t !

mmm ... Firhill (2 sided field of dreams) versus Cappielow ... take off your rose tinted specs for a minute big man! :thumbsup2:

Edited by gianlucatoni

Thanks to Meister Jag, a poster formerly known as RDR and ma pal Colin for the text updates on Friday night. It was brilliant listening to the beepy text alert thing going all night AND EVERY ONE OF THEM DELIVERING GLAD TIDINGS. The supreme domestic commander is convinced I've got a burd on the go. Ah wish! :D

Don't really want to answer for others in their condemnation of Cappielow but for what it's worth....

You're either made to sit in the uncovered end regardless of weather or are herded into a doll's house of a stand with considerably less leg room than even Ryan Air would consider acceptable. Once squeezed into that stand you're visibility is impaired by pillars and the odd steward standing down at the front row. I don't believe it's possible from any part of the away stand to see both nearside corner flags.

There is NO gents toilet in the DVT stand and the elderly and/or less abled plus parents with younger kids have to walk down and back up from near the turnstiles for the privilege of using a loo that at best can be described as quaint. The quality of catering is roughly on par with the quality of toilet and puts a different spin on the term "outside catering".

Regardless of where you're sat you're charged I believe £15, which just about makes Dens Pk's £19 seem value for money.

I'm far from enthralled with the state of Firhill. No one can describe it as anything other than an eyesore but at least visiting fans can sit in relative comfort, see the whole playing surface and not run the risk of getting soaked going for a pie or pee.