5 Things We Learned

John Blutarsky

shamelessly copied from big newspapers and good football sites, here are 5 things i learned from Thistle v Morton:

1. the Friday experiment worked well in terms of boosting crowd numbers & atmosphere. however, the sfl should acknowledge a confluence of it being an attractive fixture, short trip for away fans, clement weather and payday for a lot of folk before hailing it a resounding success.

2. emphatic and swift decisions by each of the assistant referees, at Morton's disallowed goal and more so at the sending off, significantly influenced the outcome of the match.

3. if we keep this up, Jackie & Sid will be top of the headhunters list come the managerial casualty season.

4. Tommy Stewart has gained 5 yards pace since August.

5. with 9 goals in the last two home games, the next visitors to Firhill, Falkirk, will have The Fear.

Edited by John Blutarsky

The crowd seemed to be less of a mixture, i.e. it was mostly adult males. That may be a consideration for the future, too.

If we regularly give out doings to visiting teams, visiting support numbers will drop, which makes encouraging a growth in home support numbers more important.

Although it was warm, it was also very wet, and Friday nights in the winter will probably be even less inviting for anyone considering going out to see a game.

This was the first game in a long time when I've seen the Jags threaten the opposition noticeably more on the right wing than on the left.

Tommy Stewart is still too slow.

A number of our goals are coming from rebounds because players (especially Elliott, Doolan and Erskine) are positioning themselves well to take those after the initial attempt on goal is blocked.

shamelessly copied from big newspapers and good football sites, here are 5 things i learned from Thistle v Morton:1. the Friday experiment worked well in terms of boosting crowd numbers & atmosphere. however, the sfl should acknowledge a confluence of it being an attractive fixture, short trip for away fans, clement weather and payday for a lot of folk before hailing it a resounding success.2. emphatic and swift decisions by each of the assistant referees, at Morton's disallowed goal and more so at the sending off, significantly influenced the outcome of the match. 3. if we keep this up, Jackie & Sid will be top of the headhunters list come the managerial casualty season.4. Tommy Stewart has gained 5 yards pace since August.5. with 9 goals in the last two home games, the next visitors to Firhill, Falkirk, will have The Fear.

Thought 1

There's something familiar about this.

Thought 2

Can't quite place it.

Thought 3

It's coming back to me....

Thought 4

Endless Sunday nights in search of inspiration

Thought 5

Ah the good ol' days of ptfc.net

And finally

Feel the need to lie down in a dark place now :P

I think the case for Friday night football is unproven. To prove the case you need to take a 'bad' example, not a 'good' one: Jags v 'Ton was always going to draw a big crowd - thye're top of the heap with the best start to the season in decades, we're playing the best football in years. You could have played it on a Monday afternoon, and still got a crowd. Actually, if my memory serves me right this was not as good an away support as when we were in the 2nd and had to open up the main stand as an overflow. To prove the case for Friday night football you need to measure Peterhead -vs- Annan alongside thier comparable Saturday crowd. You also need to take into account the 'novelty' effect, and think about bitter a Ferbruary night. That said, I am personally in favour of it and, more importantly, was before the game.

The linesperson completely missed one definite (3-4 yard) offside that nearly allowed Mconald to score, and another 1-2 yard one. Otherwise, I'd take that set of officials for every game - there wasn't a bad tackle all night mind you.

I thought - despite the actual results against Dee/Accies/Barins - that Jaggy's comments were the most lucid and perspicacious I'd heard here and that he might not be here too long. Price of success (ditto Sincy and Stewart who are the best real (i.e. non loan) signings in long time).

Particularly good to have kept the clean sheets.

My head hurts and my throat is raw.

Edited by Semi Nurainen

I think the case for Friday night football is unproven. To prove the case you need to take a 'bad' example, not a 'good' one: Jags v 'Ton was always going to draw a big crowd - thye're top of the heap with the best start to the season in decades, we're playing the best football in years. You could have played it on a Monday afternoon, and still got a crowd. Actually, if my memory serves me right this was not as good an away support as when we were in the 2nd and had to open up the main stand as an overflow. To prove the case for Friday night football you need to measure Peterhead -vs- Annan alongside thier comparable Saturday crowd. You also need to take into account the 'novelty' effect, and think about bitter a Ferbruary night. That said, I am personally in favour of it and, more importantly, was before the game.

If Friday night football was to take off (in the SFL), it certainly would only involve clubs in the central belt where away fans will not have far to travel, so the experiments should only use such teams. Suggesting Peterhead vs Annan is trialed on a Friday night, do you work for the SFL/SFA/SPL?

1-The bellhaven best in the aitken suite was sublime

2-never leave home without a jacket

3- o'donnel looks a great find

4- the vast majority of people in the jhs CAN sing

5-football on a friday wasnt as bad as i thought

Has that replaced the tasteless John Smith?

If so, that is good news indeed.