Dreaming About Thistle

Jaggernaut

I do this often, and there used to be a thread about Jags dreams.

Last night's was the first in a while, and is clearly a result of the h*ns' problems and our own current difficulties on and off the pitch.

Firhill, but it looked like 25 years ago, with all the tenements knocked down; basically the area surrounding Firhill looked like a wasteland. Pouring with rain, and the pitch looked just like wet sand/mud. We were playing Livi, and when I arrived we were already one goal down. I only recognized Rowson and Cairney, and there was some guy playing in central defence for us (a loanee) who was all in black! Anyway, we were awful, showing no fight and no guile, and I left to go wandering around the wasteland in the rain. The whole thing had a feel of Save the Jags depression.

I was glad when I woke up.

• 1 year later...

I dredged up this old thread because it finally happened: last night I actually scored for the Jags.

An away match; I think it was Stirling Albion, but it looked almost like a junior ground. Anyway, Thistle were doing the usual, all over them but not making so many chances. Out of the blue the other team got a free-kick, the ball got passed through our defensive wall and somebody stuck the ball in the net, so we're down 1-0. For some reason I was allowed to walk up and down the touchline with impunity.

Next scene, I'm in what looks like the clubhouse/hospitality room, and Thistle have a corner (yes, in the room). I place the ball at the corner flag (on a stone, for some reason) and take my seat just in front of the big fireplace, which is the goal. I notice there's a big defensive gap, so I go and stand in it. Over comes the cross, and from about two yards out I header it. It hits the fireplace and comes back out, so I header it again and again it bounces off the fireplace. My third attempt at a header sees the ball snuggle nicely low down in the corner of the fireplace --- Goalllll! There wasn't much of a reaction at all from all the other people watching this action in the room; I got no adulation from the spectators. Tom Hosie in particular appeared unimpressed.

Next scene, for some reason my brother, nephew and I had to leave before the end of the match. Back in his house, I was checking the final results in the evening paper (remember that?), and it turned out that we'd won 2-1! Cue celebrations!

Jaggernautess noticed that I was awake with a big grin, asked what I was thinking about. "Ach, just something at work'"

• 3 years later...

Clearly influenced by the La Manga game, last night I was on the touchline watching Thistle in some friendly, in nice weather. Not really a stadium, but just a pitch enclosed by tall wire mesh. Jags were something like 7-1 up at half-time, and I do believe that Ronnie Glavin was strutting his stuff in midfield!

Then I woke up.

• 4 months later...

Last night: we were playing Hibs. Don't know where, as the supporters were standing behind a barrier behind the Hibs goal. We were wearing the current strip, but I don't remember any particular players. Anyway, we were 2-0 up..... then with 5 minutes to go Hibs scored..... A feeling of the inevitable arrived, and sure enough, an equalizer with a couple of minutes left. Glad to say that at that point I woke up before things got any worse.

• 11 months later...

Last night: Looked like Jags fans gathering inside a stadium for a play-off match, evening.... looked a bit like Alloa's ground. The news was that Christie Elliott had been injured in the previous game, but the team line-up showed that he'd play at right-back.

Then I woke up.

• 4 weeks later...

Last night, vs. Aberdeen at Firhill. Me and an uncle who used to go every week (now never does) were watching from the Colin Weir Stand, then the bing (still the city terracing). The only player I could recognize was Erskine, trying hard but nothing was coming off for him. Almost inevitably, we lost 2-1. At one point I mentioned to my uncle that this bunch of players was pretty garbage, at which point he pointed out that what I was watching now wasn't the match but a bunch of supporters on the pitch having a rammy! I hadn't even noticed that the guys I thought were playing the match weren't even wearing strips and boots, just everyday civilian clothes! Then I woke up.

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another weird one the other night: An evening match coming up, and waiting for a supporters bus with a big group of Jags fans, late afternoon... looked like a nice August evening. Just across from us, a group of Killie fans, also waiting for their bus. Maybe we were going to play each other. The scene for this dream was the Stirling University campus!

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2012 at 12:35 PM, Jaggernaut said:

Anyway, we were awful, showing no fight and no guile, and I left to go wandering around the wasteland in the rain. The whole thing had a feel of Save the Jags depression.

Was Archie in charge? lol

• 1 year later...