Thistle V Queen's Park Hampden September 2000

MWM

For some reason this is one of my favourite Thistle games. Crowd of over 4k, I remember a pipe band, youth match and all that playing before the game. Thing is though, I was 9 years old then and can't really remember a lot of specific details. Anyone fancy filling us in on some shit? Must have been 2.5-3k Thistle fans there?

never knew Colin Stewart was English. Remember going to see a game (the u-19s?) at Lesser a couple of hours before kick off. Think it was the first time we'd played each other in the league for 30 years or something.

They'd won 4 from 4 and were top of the league, think we'd dropped a few points in the first 4 games (Stenny 4-0 game springs to mind). Danny Lennon scored with a deflection and we won 1-0. QP ended up being relegated at the end of the season and we skooshed the league after a dodgy start.

Kenny Arthur played in goals with awful bleached blonde hair and had an absolute horrorshow.

There had been some kind of "Festival of Football" in Glasgow that weekend, and our match with the Spiders was some kind of finale. In spite of 90% of Hampden being empty there was a pretty good atmosphere, with the 3,000+ Thistle fans in fine voice throughout. Scrappy match, with Lennon's goal (a bit flukey, I think) bringing some well-needed relief.

For some reason this is one of my favourite Thistle games. Crowd of over 4k, I remember a pipe band, youth match and all that playing before the game. Thing is though, I was 9 years old then and can't really remember a lot of specific details. Anyone fancy filling us in on some shit? Must have been 2.5-3k Thistle fans there?

It was the last match my father ever attended - unbeknown to me he had already been diagnosed with terminal cancer and he died just before Xmas that year. Nice that his last game was a win! :happy2:

Remember it well, great game.

Got the 44 from the west end up to Hampden and there was a great atmosphere around the place with loads of people packed in to lesser Hampden for the reserve game before hand, think the weather was pretty nice too.

It was a really good game actually despite the scoreline, both teams trying to win the game.

Felt like the place was full as the jags fans were in fine voice.

Had we lost that day it really could have changed everything for both teams.

Daft as it sounds, I remember it well even though I was elsewhere (in London to see Steely Dan!). I remember watching the final scores coming in that day and thinking that this might be the kick-start we needed as we had slipped so badly down the tables at that time: and sure enough we turned it all round from about that time.

I'd forgotten about that Stenhousemuir game - an absolute horror show.

Don't know about horror show as it was the strangest 4-0 defeat I've ever seen.

We hit the woodwork countless times, Gary Gow had the game of his life (Lambie signed him on the back of that performance) and Stenny scored with their only attempts on target. Issac English rubbing salt into the wounds.

On any other day we'd have won 4-0.

As for the QP game, was an amazing atmosphere from the Jags fans, made Hampden seem full such was the noise generated. Can't stress enough how vital Danny Lennon's goal was. We ended up taking all 12 points from QP that season.

That Stenny game was a horror show, no doubt about it. Yes we did hit the woodwork a few times. But the defending for their goals was probably the worst I've ever seen from any Thistle team.

Probably Kenny Arthur's worst afternoon for Thistle, maybe only matched by the 7-0 game last season while playing for Airdrie.

Guest fredthecheesecloth

That Stenny game was a horror show, no doubt about it. Yes we did hit the woodwork a few times. But the defending for their goals was probably the worst I've ever seen from any Thistle team.

Probably Kenny Arthur's worst afternoon for Thistle, maybe only matched by the 7-0 game last season while playing for Airdrie.

I raise you PTFC 0-4 Clyde. All 4 goals in the first half.

My main memory of the Queen's Park game was that the Thistle crowd outnumbered the stewards' expectations, so we were moved to extra comfortable padded seats that would not normally be available to the ordinary punter.

There was a half-time game between most of Thistle 's 71 League Cup winning team and an old Queen's Park select. Thistle won 2-1 with Alan Rough still looking pretty useful in goals.

My main memory of the Queen's Park game was that the Thistle crowd outnumbered the stewards' expectations, so we were moved to extra comfortable padded seats that would not normally be available to the ordinary punter.

There was a half-time game between most of Thistle 's 71 League Cup winning team and an old Queen's Park select. Thistle won 2-1 with Alan Rough still looking pretty useful in goals.

I'd totally forgotten about that half-time game...... in fact I still can't remember it even though it would have been my all-time heroes playing!

Maybe I was away having a pee.

In fact, I've got to go now....

Had a Uni mate playing for QP that season, I asked him on the Friday to get me a signed programme and on the Monday he brought it in. Said the QP players were a bit bemused at his request.

Think he went back to Neilston Juniors the next season.

I'd totally forgotten about that half-time game...... in fact I still can't remember it even though it would have been my all-time heroes playing!

Maybe I was away having a pee.

In fact, I've got to go now....

Maybe because it was at half time of the 2nd Hampden game that season in December.

Tuffy in goals?

No, definitely Kenny Arthur. Cannot remember the first 3 goals and what part he had to play in them, but for the 4th he punched a cross into the net.

The main positive outcome was that the disastrous result spelled the end for Dick Campbell. I think that it also spelled the end of Kenny's illustrious Thistle career as I am sure that Jonny Tuffey took over as first choice the next week and stayed there until the end of the season.

Staying with the goalkeeping theme, surprised at Colin Stewart being given an England flag, though great if the Auld Enemy call him up for the forthcoming international. His father and fellow goalie Jim Stewart was a Scotland cap and was part of the 1974 World Cup squad in Germany.

If I can sneak in a question as well. First choice goalkeeper in that 1974 squad was David Harvey. Who was the third goalkeeper in the squad? (Sadly not Roughie).

No, definitely Kenny Arthur. Cannot remember the first 3 goals and what part he had to play in them, but for the 4th he punched a cross into the net.

The main positive outcome was that the disastrous result spelled the end for Dick Campbell. I think that it also spelled the end of Kenny's illustrious Thistle career as I am sure that Jonny Tuffey took over as first choice the next week and stayed there until the end of the season.

Staying with the goalkeeping theme, surprised at Colin Stewart being given an England flag, though great if the Auld Enemy call him up for the forthcoming international. His father and fellow goalie Jim Stewart was a Scotland cap and was part of the 1974 World Cup squad in Germany.

If I can sneak in a question as well. First choice goalkeeper in that 1974 squad was David Harvey. Who was the third goalkeeper in the squad? (Sadly not Roughie).

Thomson Allan acc. to Wikipedia