Hate To Say I Told You So But.....

king of spain

That was an absolute shambles by our club tonight. Freely selling home end tickets to anyone who wanted them when obviously the didn't support Thistle. My idea of giving them the whole of the JH stand doesn't seem so daft now.

That was the worst fans ive seen at firhill for years it wasn,t as bad as the late 70s early 80s but they are a horrible support
  • Like 1

Stewards and police very poor tonight. Celtic supporters in Thistle section should not have been allowed to blatantly goad the home fans who objected to their presence. It was clear that, had their been any trouble as a result, Jags fans were most likely to be evicted. Club to blame without a doubt.

Stewards and police very poor tonight. Celtic supporters in Thistle section should not have been allowed to blatantly goad the home fans who objected to their presence. It was clear that, had their been any trouble as a result, Jags fans were most likely to be evicted. Club to blame without a doubt.

So wait a minute, thistle need to tell the police how to do their jobs then? Agree with your first sentence mind, openly heard the police blaming thistle for selling them tickets, bit of a cop out for me...if u pardon the pun...this was always going to happen tonight..we have more things to worry about like getting back to winning football matches.

Could have turned very nasty indeed when they all started revealing themselves towards the end of the game. They were dotted about everywhere. And whose idea was it to use a barrier of what looked like flat feckin linen in the jhs to separate the fans?

It wasn't so much that that annoyed me as that the barrier was at a point that cut Thistle fans of from one of the toilets - this toilet was in an area where Thistle fans were sitting - the ones nearest their fans and they could easily have put that barrier further along but decided to cut our access to the toilets.

From the reaction of the crowd it looked like there was nearly trouble nearer the city end but all I could make out was a Jags fan being threatened (I guessed) with ejection while trying to point out something.

So wait a minute, thistle need to tell the police how to do their jobs then? Agree with your first sentence mind, openly heard the police blaming thistle for selling them tickets, bit of a cop out for me...if u pardon the pun...this was always going to happen tonight..we have more things to worry about like getting back to winning football matches.

They have more to worry about than evicting people for supporting their team in the way than football fans do.

They have more to worry about than evicting people for supporting their team in the way than football fans do.

what like searching people for flares as they walk into a ground? I say it in jest but to stand back and blame thistle for Celtic fans jumping about in the thistle end without having a word in their ear kind of makes their presence pointless. Also watched some of our fans looking a bit daft moaning to police then trying to square go them from 20yrds....as I said, doesn't bother me, I go to watch my team play good football and win matches.

what like searching people for flares as they walk into a ground? I say it in jest but to stand back and blame thistle for Celtic fans jumping about in the thistle end without having a word in their ear kind of makes their presence pointless. Also watched some of our fans looking a bit daft moaning to police then trying to square go them from 20yrds....as I said, doesn't bother me, I go to watch my team play good football and win matches.

Agree about flares, don't know how they don't get picked out. And were there IRA songs from the North Stand? (Or did I mishear).

But in the Jackie husband tonight I thought the Thistle fans were actually the biggest problem, with their self righteous rubbish. And the main source of any nastiness. Do they really want people who have paid for a ticket getting thrown out for cheering their team? And I may be wrong but wasn't much of the Celtic support (and that part getting most of the abuse from Thistle fans) actually in hospitality, where they had every right to be? Police must have felt like babysitters tonight, Jags fans bleating like weans. Totally pathetic.

And as someone who despises bigotry in all forms, I'm dead against all this "scum" talk. No need for it. They're virtually fully formed human beings.

Edited by allyo

I was under the impression that it was illegal to take fireworks and smoke bombs into football grounds. I was also under the impression that it is an offence to enter a football ground whilst under the influence of alcohol. So why didn't the police take any action tonight?

Its a disgrace i knew that was coming in tonight, our stewards only seem to punish us in the JH stand every home game when we stand up or shout then that lot of ROASTERS turn up and they let them away with it. not including the two celtic fan stewards happy lovin helpin brown arse off the field when the fans ran on the pitch for a no contest this year anyway. Helicopter sunday nooo.. hearse wednesday more like!

For the celtic fans in the main stand and so called middle class punters in hospitality to start goading our fans in our end sums up their lack of class. Ive seen clyde, accies, ross county fans in our end. Its ALWAYS the ugly sisters who bring trouble with them.

The police and stewarding operation must have cost us a fortune tonight. Around the ground before and after the game, neds patrolling all over the place, particularly the length of the canal.

They had 2 flares in each stand i seen and sang their usual bigoted bile all game. Were the wolfetones playing in maryhill tonight?

One of the least enjoyable nights ive had as a jags fan. I can take losing matches but watching them behave as they did - and it wasnt a minority, whilst the police and the club stood back and let it happen has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Edited by avie-man
  • Like 1

I don't think the club can be blamed for the ugliness of the away support. Lack of action by stewards and the police is the real issue here and it's not the first time it's happened. They'd rather arrest and prosecute a young Thistle fan for singing a song, instead of lifting people who have smuggled in fireworks and smoke bombs or have come in to a football ground jaked.

If the cops love the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act so much, why didn't they arrest hundreds of Celtic fans tonight, including the ones who were at the canal with a carry oot (has drinking in public been decriminalised now, or couldn't they be bothered?).

Edited by Big Col

I happen to think that our hospitality is rather pricey as it is. That's just my opinion but if I wasn't in a position to go to all home and most away games I could see me treating myself to the occasional trip to hospitality. I could put up with below average fare, a duff comedian and rather average glass of vino but it would be like drawing my back teeth to have to share the occasion with what was in there tonight.

Not for a moment do I believe that our hospitality should be likened to the village shop in the League of Gentleman. In fact I feel visiting clubs supporters enhance the occasion but to every rule there's an exception.and I'm just glad I wasn't there tonight.

I don't think the club can be blamed for the ugliness of the away support. Lack of action by stewards and the police is the real issue here and it's not the first time it's happened. They'd rather arrest and prosecute a young Thistle fan for singing a song, instead of lifting people who have smuggled in fireworks and smoke bombs or have come in to a football ground jaked.

If the cops love the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act so much, why didn't they arrest hundreds of Celtic fans tonight, including the ones who were at the canal with a carry oot (has drinking in public been decriminalised now, or couldn't they be bothered?).

I noticed a smashed bottle of buckfast on the south drive that looked like it had been launched by one of the sizeable group of neds, some with celtic gear strips on looking into firhill from the corner. Further up near the star and garter there was more them shouting insults from the top of the grass bank.

Edited by avie-man

I happen to think that our hospitality is rather pricey as it is. That's just my opinion but if I wasn't in a position to go to all home and most away games I could see me treating myself to the occasional trip to hospitality. I could put up with below average fare, a duff comedian and rather average glass of vino but it would be like drawing my back teeth to have to share the occasion with what was in there tonight.

Not for a moment do I believe that our hospitality should be likened to the village shop in the League of Gentleman. In fact I feel visiting clubs supporters enhance the occasion but to every rule there's an exception.and I'm just glad I wasn't there tonight.

Agree with everything you say , unfortunately our Club don't seem to have learned anything from previous encounters with the Old Firm, I remember flash points at the Cup Relay with Rangers for example within in the Hospitality Area. Tonight was one of my most uncomfortable experiences as a jags fan and that was totally down to PTFC trying to maximise revenue at all costs . When does it become acceptable to shift your own supporters some who have paid upfront for a season ticket, what happened tonight meant we had a fragmented support which created a lacklustre atmosphere from our fans . Will supporters start thinking about the benefits of a season ticket ? , TAG ? Allocated seat all season ? , seems to me the Club are chasing the filthy lucre every time the Old Firm come to town . The future of our club is our fans !
  • Like 1

There are idiots in every group of supporters and I was very disappointed to see more than a few roasters amongst the Thistle support in the city end. Fully grown men acting like stupid weans rising to the numpties who were goading them.

I don't think you can really blame the club for all that happened last night and I understand that our new Match Commander is a bit of a so and so. Stewards, police and club officials have to go on his word ultimately.

• Members

Exactly Vinny. There seemed to be more Jags fans interested on what was going on behind in hospitality than there was in supporting the team on the park. Had to ask the guy in front of me to sit down twice so I could see the game before eventually saying to him if he wanted to have a go with them go up to where they were.

• Like 1

It's all banter and part of the game - fans having a go at each other. I'll admit to gesticulating to them once or twice but then I came to my senses and realised it's only a game. The two disappointments for me were the stewards didn't seem to speak to the two chaps right at the back of hospitality who seemed to be the head wallopers, and the fact that the home support is fragmented throughout the stadium thus reducing the positive effect that the crowd can have on the home team. Segregation needs to be seriously looked at for next season.

agree with you i was in the main stand surrounded by sellick fans . some segregation. we should have given them the whole j.h.s.. north end plus main stand more than enough for jags fans. a big opportunity missed to make some money.

Totally agree with this on safety grounds and financially.

If the ball was on the other foot and we were desperate for tickets to see our team win the championship we would have done the same. And remember Scots fans have done the same at Wembley many times.

Thanks to the "I'm a season ticket holder and I own this seat" brigade, Thistle lost out on at least an extra £50k.