Piccolo

jlsarmy

Average goals conceded per game with Piccolo 2.28

Average goals conceded per game without Piccolo 1.33

Now that's not to say he was the only one at fault, but the defence as a unit was weaker with him.

That would be great if you really believe that without Piccolo we'd have gone thru the season losing 1.33 goals a game. I'd suggest that's not that bad a goal loss as we scored 1.21 goals a game. Be no guarantee but we'd then just have to 2-3 more goals and lose 2-3 less and we'd be expecting a mid table finish.

So all we have to do is replace a couple of players, not play Gabby and we're quids in. :)

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Fox 1.72

Gallagher 1.66

These stats don't show a lot of difference, but anyone who watched Thistle last year knows the difference Paul Gallagher made to our team so stats don't mean a lot, if we went for possession stats we would probably be top 6 , we finished 3rd bottom . Edited by jlsarmy

Surely the teams we played against with Piccolo in the team make a difference? A rampant Motherwell and Celtic spring to mind. Either way it's all academic, because it seems unless something major gives, he'll be off.

We only lost 1 goal against Celtic at Parkhead with Piccolo playing but lost 4 away to Motherwell when he wasn't in the team - both of these results improve his statistics.

He was utterly hopeless in the first games against Aberdeen & Motherwell but improved a bit to be just about competent in a few games. He reminds me of Adrian Madaschi - an imposing physical presence but not much footballing ability. I would rather see Lindsay getting some game time

The Chairmen announcing that Gabby was going on loan then nothing happening does seem a bit strange.

Fox was outstanding in the first part of the season but clearly lost confidence coinciding with his International call up...and Gabby getting in the starting line-up.

Piccolo did of course have some questionable performances last season but then again so did Balatoni and Muirhead.

I think it's pretty obvious that Gabby was singled out for being the new guy, as Conrad and Aero were both big players in our championship winning side of the season before.

Gabby had a dreadful start but I thought he improved a lot after that.

The way in which the club have handled Gabby's situation this summer has been poor. The chairman telling people he's going out on loan, the player seemingly none the wiser, and now the above article in the ET.

Meanwhile the club have "officially" said absolutely nothing.

It's no more than we've come to expect from the club, unfortunately.

• Like 1

Union Jack condenses the 3 pages of this thread....

http://www.eveningti...74294n.24918907

If you are expecting Chris to have phoned the club for a comment, there's no point clicking the link.

It's pretty clear he has spoken to the club and that's where he's got all his source info from, as a journalist reading it.

It's no huge surprise the club aren't commenting on it.

I think we need to get this in perspective. The guy is simply not good enough. Whether he's that much worse than Balatoni or Muirhead is neither here nor there - he's not a long term prospect as a Thistle centre half. (In my opinion, both Balatoni and Muirhead could be.) It's ridiculous to criticise the management or the club for the situation as it stands. Again, the guy's not good enough - he was given a season to show that he could cut it at this level and he didn't show that he could. Personally, I'm relieved we've got a manager who's hard enough to make the difficult decisions when necessary. (And, for what it's worth, I'm kind off impressed he's got the nerve to hold out for better signings in the face of our failure to add to the squad in the close season. It's either nerves of steel, or he knows something posters on here don't...)

I think we need to get this in perspective. The guy is simply not good enough. Whether he's that much worse than Balatoni or Muirhead is neither here nor there - he's not a long term prospect as a Thistle centre half. (In my opinion, both Balatoni and Muirhead could be.) It's ridiculous to criticise the management or the club for the situation as it stands. Again, the guy's not good enough - he was given a season to show that he could cut it at this level and he didn't show that he could. Personally, I'm relieved we've got a manager who's hard enough to make the difficult decisions when necessary. (And, for what it's worth, I'm kind off impressed he's got the nerve to hold out for better signings in the face of our failure to add to the squad in the close season. It's either nerves of steel, or he knows something posters on here don't...)

I would say the criticism is more over the way david Beattie told fans he was getting punted before he told the player himself, which is a perfectly valid thing to criticise the club for as it's laughably amateurish. Whether or not he's good enough is irrelevant to that.

I would say the criticism is more over the way david Beattie told fans he was getting punted before he told the player himself, which is a perfectly valid thing to criticise the club for as it's laughably amateurish. Whether or not he's good enough is irrelevant to that.

Is that actually the case, though? Piccolo didn't travel to Spain, after all, which would suggest his future was an issue prior to that.

• Like 1

I don't understand the point about him chapping the managers door to talk about getting more first team action.

I would image Lawless did the same during the majority of the season when he didn't feature. The difference being, Archie has given Lawless another chance and extended his contract.

It's pretty clear he has spoken to the club and that's where he's got all his source info from, as a journalist reading it.

It's no huge surprise the club aren't commenting on it.

Really everything he has written has been posted on here prior to the article, I think his source may be here not the club

• Like 1

Yip - Gabby being told he's down the pecking order is one thing; however you'd think if that was all it was he would still be travelling with / playing with the squad.

Not sure what LiB was alluding to earlier in this thread but I think there must be something more significant than the above - especially given he's apparently still training with the first team at Garscube.

Really everything he has written has been posted on here prior to the article, I think his source may be here not the club

I get people don't like Chris Jack but it's a pretty easy story to check out.

Call club. Club say "here's the situation. Don't attribute it to us." Guessing that's what happened although might be wrong.

I get people don't like Chris Jack but it's a pretty easy story to check out.

Call club. Club say "here's the situation. Don't attribute it to us." Guessing that's what happened although might be wrong.

After his tweets regarding the NS and how he knew and we'd all agree and understand turned out to be nonsense. He may have called the club on Gabby but everything that was printed today has been in here for days

I'd be surprised if Chris Jack hadn't contacted the club ahead of his piece in the ET. Equally I would be surprised if he didn't use this, and other forums, as background for stories.

Covering a team for a local paper is a really difficult job. It helps to be close to the club you are covering but get too close and you can be thought of as nothing more than an unofficial mouthpiece.

It's a difficult balancing act for even the best of journalists.