Jags V. Inverness Ct 13Th Sept.

thebiglemon

Hope Gary Fraser heals fast, one of our best players whose best days are in front of him....

On the other hand...Ryan Stevenson has the skill, but IMO looks really unfit and plays like a man at the end of his career and not like a player in his prime.

Anyway, all the best to the jags, I think we can win this one and I really hope Ryan makes a mug of my comments.

Stevenson wouldn't play in Fraser's position. More likely Bannigan who's been playing further forward than last season will move back to sit deep beside Osman and Stevenson will take a place in the "attacking midfield" part of the team, along with Higgs-boson and Lawless (or Elliot). At least I'd expect that line up along with Doolan up front. But perhaps the manager will surprise us.

Craigen would be the other possibility if the gaffer wants to keep Stevenson up top.

On the other hand...Ryan Stevenson has the skill, but IMO looks really unfit and plays like a man at the end of his career and not like a player in his prime.

From what I'm led to believe it would be very difficult to come thru a full pre season with us, plus our on going training, and not be more than sufficiently fit. If Ryan is not up to our fitness levels it would imply he wasn't up to scratch last season. That in turn asks questions about our management's signing policy. It should also be noted that Stevenson has never been a pacy player.

We should wait and judge Stevenson once he's played in his more familiar role. Playing upfront on your own, whilst anticipating being involved for the whole or vast majority of a game, undoubtedly means pacing yourself and not chasing everything down.

Ryan will never be able to compete with the likes of Craigen, Elliott or Fraser's fitness levels but their levels are phenomenal. I don't tho' doubt his stamina, at this moment in time anyway, anymore than I doubted say David Rowson's or Paul Paton's. Hopefully when you say Stevenson "looks really unfit" the emphasis is on (and will prove to be) "looks".

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Gallacher

O'Donnell - Balatoni - Seaborne - Carroll

Osman - Bannigan

Stevenson

Elliot - Doolan - Higginbotham

I agree with comments about Stevenson's fitness - does not look 100% to me. Looked a fitter player for Hearts last year.

The injury to Fraser is a blow - he has started the season well and has got a few goals for us.

This is going to be a very hard game for us, one that we will do well to get anything from. Inverness have looked very impressive so far.

Ryan Christie is a very good player and somebody we can't allow to much space. Inverness look very dangerous on the counter attack.

Edited by Alan Murray

From what I'm led to believe it would be very difficult to come thru a full pre season with us, plus our on going training, and not be more than sufficiently fit. If Ryan is not up to our fitness levels it would imply he wasn't up to scratch last season. That in turn asks questions about our management's signing policy. It should also be noted that Stevenson has never been a pacy player.

We should wait and judge Stevenson once he's played in his more familiar role. Playing upfront on your own, whilst anticipating being involved for the whole or vast majority of a game, undoubtedly means pacing yourself and not chasing everything down.

Ryan will never be able to compete with the likes of Craigen, Elliott or Fraser's fitness levels but their levels are phenomenal. I don't tho' doubt his stamina, at this moment in time anyway, anymore than I doubted say David Rowson's or Paul Paton's. Hopefully when you say Stevenson "looks really unfit" the emphasis is on (and will prove to be) "looks".

I have no doubt is that Ryan Stevenson is a very skilful player and I hope he goes out and does a demolition job in the near future. You can only judge what you see with your own eyes and IMO, despite being played out of position, Ryan does not look too sharp at the moment.

On the other hand, if you had asked me about Higgy this time last season, I would have said he was not bad to watch, an ok player, but all in all, no great shakes!

So, I think you are right and it's only fair to judge Ryan after he has been played in his "familiar role" later on in the season.

Based on recent selections, my prediction is

Gallacher

O'Donnell

Balatoni

Seabourne

Carroll

Osman

Craigen

Bannigan

Elliott

Stevenson

Higginbotham

Subs - Fox, McMillan, Muirhead, Wilson, Lawless, Doolan, Eccleston (if fit)

I'm surprised you've selected SOD ahead of McMillan, Balatoni before Muirhead and can't find a starting place for either Dools or Lawless. Might you not be tempted to play Wilson in a deeper role that's less suited to Craigen?

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

....................... Gallacher ........................

McMillan .. Balatoni .. Seaborne .. Keenan

................. Osman ... Carroll..................

Stevenson .. Bannigan .. Higginbotham

...................... Eccleston .......................

Think McMillan is more solid and reliable than O'Donnell in defence and it is worth giving Keenan another shot seen as he didn't do anything wrong.

Carroll has played CM before and played very well by all accounts. Putting him next to Osman should provide a robust centre pairing.

This allows Bannigan to be more creative and drive at Caley - which is what he does best when he is allowed.

Stevenson needs to be played in midfield, he has never been a striker. Higgy as per.

I'd give Eccleston a shout up top if he is fit, see what he can do.

We need to get back to playing 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 rather than the 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 we have been playing. It is far too defensive and doesn't allow any support going forward with 7 defensive players to only 3 forward players. Bannigan needs to step infront of Osman/ Carroll and get up to help the forward line. Four along the back and two holding mids should be more than enough to cope with Caley.

Edited by read'n'yell
  • Like 1

I'm surprised you've selected SOD ahead of McMillan, Balatoni before Muirhead and can't find a starting place for either Dools or Lawless. Might you not be tempted to play Wilson in a deeper role that's less suited to Craigen?

I didn't - it was a prediction, as stated, of the team that I think Archie will pick rather than my own selection. The u20s, e.g. Keenan, only start league games when the "senior" players are injured or suspended. If McMillan is fully recovered and 100% match fit, he could start at left-back. I would always pick a genuine striker, i.e. Doolan, to lead the attack.

Partick Thistle

Scott Fox, Daniel Seaborne, Conrad Balatoni, Stuart Bannigan, Kris Doolan, Ryan Stevenson, Steven Lawless, Kallum Higginbotham, Jordan McMillan, Jake Carroll, Abdul Osman.

Subs: Paul Gallacher, Stephen O'Donnell, Aaron Muirhead, James Craigen, Christie Elliott, David Wilson, Declan