Politics At The Football...?

crazy davie

Was a bit odd I thought. Seen a number of peeps with yes posters with red n yella stripes . Where did they come from and was there any with No ?

There was a Yes stall on Firhill Road which was attracting a lot of attention. A lot of fans were picking up Yes badges and posters etc. The Yes guys were not "thrusting anything into anyones faces".

There was no sign of any Better Together presence. I did not see any No campaign badges.

There was no "political stuff" going on inside the ground and as the stall was on a public road I do not see any issues with either side campaigning.

I was at the Yes rally in Buchanan Street and had my scarf and top in a plastic bag, simply to avoid this sort of inane complaining. As previously said this is a decision of real import to all who live in Scotland and to moan cos a few didn't see the need to hide their views is I think making a mountain out of a molehill. I could guess that most of my offended Thistle fans are of a Better Together persuasion. Now I'm not for one minute disputing your right to hold your views, but please don't elect sport to exist in a vacuum it doesn't indeed it can't. Finally for the avoidance of any doubt I never heard or saw any examples of so called politicking. Just maybe people on a high after a polItical rally, on a nice day and Thistle won too, so stop moaning FFS.

Some yes posters, some yes saltires and some fans with yes t-shirts. Nothing major, but don't need it at games.

No place for it at the football can divide an already small support do we need that?? , saw plenty of Jags fans on FB slagging off the sevco fans for making a political statement last night at their game, yet when the boots on the other foot.......

Let's all get real here.

We don't know what the outcome of the vote will be.

There will be a reaction, one way or the other, if only because we are all voters.

Irrespective of the outcome, Jags v St Mirren will be the first official crowd after the result is announced. That's a given.

Really.....gosh.....

4 years ago I was at a Valencia v Barcelona match and behind the goal at one end were three giant banners and I mean giant from top to bottom.....saying one language one people one Valencia .....if your interested you can find out why .....you can't keep politics out of sport or didn't I see those ex rugby players on yesterday or ex footballers?

Really.....gosh.....

4 years ago I was at a Valencia v Barcelona match and behind the goal at one end were three giant banners and I mean giant from top to bottom.....saying one language one people one Valencia .....if your interested you can find out why .....you can't keep politics out of sport or didn't I see those ex rugby players on yesterday or ex footballers?

So you have no problem with Rangers or Celtic singing their political songs or waiving their political banners, I see no need for it at the football, politics religion class ethics make us different, being a Jags fan is what unites us, that's what the 90 minutes is about, showing support for the jags nothing else, not show casing your individual political views

I have never mentioned R and C have I ? Nor did I say I didn't have a problem with the either did I?

My point is simply football clubs are created and exist in societies and you can't separate them from the environment In Which they exist

Sometimes that will be acceptable to you , sometimes it won't but you can't keep politics out of football

There was a Yes stall on Firhill Road which was attracting a lot of attention. A lot of fans were picking up Yes badges and posters etc. The Yes guys were not "thrusting anything into anyones faces".

There was no sign of any Better Together presence. I did not see any No campaign badges.

There was no "political stuff" going on inside the ground and as the stall was on a public road I do not see any issues with either side campaigning.

Was it something I said ?

I saw a guy in the JHS with a Union Jack on his T shirt......it didn't bother me,

I picked up Yes badges at a stall in Firhill Road and passed them out to guys I sit beside....no dramas....they wanted them...if they didn't, they would have told me and we would maybe have engaged in a bit of a debate.....good natured debate amongst friends.

This referendum is the biggest thing to hit Scotland possibly in hundreds of years....it's a big deal....people will talk about it and demonstrate their feelings, no question, and it is right that we do so.

Whatever the outcome, I will be at Firhill on Friday cheering our team. Football cannot be fully divorced from politics...anyone sung Flower of Scotland at an england match?? Of course we have.

I have some of my family that plan to vote no despite my attempts to change them....it won't make them any less family after the vote.

Having said that.....mon the Jags....and vote yes!

We are Thistle!

• Like 7

So you have no problem with Rangers or Celtic singing their political songs or waiving their political banners, I see no need for it at the football, politics religion class ethics make us different, being a Jags fan is what unites us, that's what the 90 minutes is about, showing support for the jags nothing else, not show casing your individual political views

Maybe It is just me but I thought what United and identified us was that we didn't think it was right to discriminate on account of religion, ethics, colour or creed not just an agreement to not talk or demonstrate it nor an unwritten unspoken agreement to crack on in the privacy of our own homes?? I repeat my earlier point a current political debate is not the same as a descriminstory stance, descrimination is an affront to humanity politics is the lifeblood of civilisation and needs to be at theforefront of society.

• Like 1

Doesn't matter if it's politics about scottish independence or Irish independence, it should not be brought into football grounds.

Small question, what do you think would happen if a few jag fans bring union jacks into Firhill on Friday night, if it's a no vote. There will be punches flying. Which is wrong, some of our fans don't mind saltires with yes on them, but would have a shit fit if union jacks with no on them were to be taken in. So keep it all away from Firhill.

Edited by JaggyMad
  • Like 3

I thought it was utterly abysmal that Yes types hijacked our colours today and stood about (inside and outside the ground) with Red and Yellow placards with 'Yes' written across them.

Those responsible should be completely ashamed. If you are incapable of keeping your bitter, and foolish, views away from Firhill, at least don't you dare put my clubs colours against them.

You are a disgrace and I hope you get tanked on Friday morning. None of you would ever be welcome back at Firhill if it was up to me.

Oh dear, will there be tears.........