Politics At The Football...?

crazy davie

I spent most of the first half chatting to my mate about the referendum. We are on different sides of the fence so it went back and forward a fair bit. Some people sitting near us may have overheard our discussion. Is this acceptable to the complainers? If not can we have an approved list of topics issued in advance of Friday night please, I wouldn't want to upset anyone (again).

• Like 1

I spent most of the first half chatting to my mate about the referendum. We are on different sides of the fence so it went back and forward a fair bit. Some people sitting near us may have overheard our discussion. Is this acceptable to the complainers? If not can we have an approved list of topics issued in advance of Friday night please, I wouldn't want to upset anyone (again).

Friday might be quite bizarre actually as about half the crowd are likely to feel on an up and half on a down (same for both sets of support obviously).

Its hard to imagine it won't be a distraction, particularly given a lot of folk will have missed a nights sleep watching the results.

I predict a 0 0 with half the crowd failing to stay awake any longer past about the hour mark.

Doesn't matter if it's politics about scottish independence or Irish independence, it should not be brought into football grounds.

Small question, what do you think would happen if a few jag fans bring union jacks into fairhill on Friday night, if it's a no vote. There will be punches flying. Which is wrong, some of our fans don't mind saltires with yes on them, but would have a shit fit if union jacks with no on them were to be taken in. So keep it all away from Firhill.

Agree with this, the kick up on here over a red and yellow union flag the other season tells it all, yet folk feel Saltires (not in our colors) and with no PTFC message on them are ok, double standards

• Like 2

"Academics For Yes". How cliched for Thistle! I was not a fan & include that if it was Better Together as I confess I'm voting No. Buchanan St was a zoo with Yes and No people and I wanted to go to the football to have couple hours of normality. The debate is now down to shouting with facts and reason drowned out. Journalists welcome this political engagement but I find the whole thing lacking in reasoned debate and political discourse. Bored to tears of it all.

• Like 3

There were quite a few thistle fans and others outside the ground before the game with a stall, banners etc etc nothing wrong with that in my opinion

Agree with the above. In fairness, no one was thrusting anything in anyone's face; so all you had to do was walk on by. It wasn't as if it was Britain First try to peddle their racist crap.

Next we'll be complaining about the classical violinists outside the ground. Two spotted playing away on my way down to the S&G. Bad for our trendy west end image, I thought we all liked jazz!

Agree with this, the kick up on here over a red and yellow union flag the other season tells it all, yet folk feel Saltires (not in our colors) and with no PTFC message on them are ok, double standards

Quite liked that flag, still do... maybe it was something to do with the colours. But good point well made.

• Like 1

"Academics For Yes". How cliched for Thistle! I was not a fan & include that if it was Better Together as I confess I'm voting No. Buchanan St was a zoo with Yes and No people and I wanted to go to the football to have couple hours of normality. The debate is now down to shouting with facts and reason drowned out. Journalists welcome this political engagement but I find the whole thing lacking in reasoned debate and political discourse. Bored to tears of it all.

How are you managing to vote No based in London?

People are political beings whether they are aware of it or not. What we express and how we express it have and always will be shaped by society around us and politics is an integral part of that. Firhill is not a bubble from the real world, no matter how much some people would like it to be.

Agree wholeheartedly, its a totally false dichotomy to compare the mass interest in politics that is happening right now in Scotland with say the knuckle dragging bigots who paraded around Auld Reekie yesterday. In addition, I doubt anyone at all is suggesting in the here and now, that a football team in Scotland should be wholly identified with one particular religious or political agenda, I certainly wouldn't.

The bigotry we all know and hate is of a fundamentally different nature and we all know that only too well.

• Like 2

This referendum is the biggest thing to hit Scotland possibly in hundreds of years....it's a big deal....people will talk about it and demonstrate their feelings, no question, and it is right that we do so.

A small stall giving out Yes nick-nacks - saw a few No badges in the ground too - stall was in the street and not on the concourse so don't have a problem with it and as AJ noted, the level of engagement with this referendum is probably at its highest since the despised imposition of the poll tax ... as it was a public event at the weekend I fully expected a presence from both camps outside the ground.

If you didn't want a Yes badge then you could politely say no and walk past - but for someone on this forum to draw a parallel to a wee peaceful stall with the political links to the filth and the OO parading their bile in Edinburgh is beyond the pale.

• Like 1

Is it really? As I said earlier anyone with a Union Jack in Firhill on Friday night will not be made welcome by the majority. Why?

But anyone with a saltire will be welcomed with open arms by the majority. Bigots exist in our support, doesnt matter if it's about Ireland or Scotland, a bigot is a bigot.

I will there on Friday night and I will accept what ever way our referendum turns out. If we have independence then all the saltires that are at the game are more than welcome and if we still part of the United Kingdom, then all union jacks that are there are welcome, but this will not happen, nobody would feel safe taking a Union Jack flag. Why?

a bigot is a bigot.

Well yes, you're right. But that's like saying a snob is a snob or a hypocrite is a hypocrite. I would suggest that on the strictest understanding of the word each and everyone of us in some minuscule way is a bigot. As always in these matters it's about scale. What by common standards is considered unacceptable and/or reprehensible is what really matters.

I thought it was utterly abysmal that Yes types hijacked our colours today and stood about (inside and outside the ground) with Red and Yellow placards with 'Yes' written across them. Those responsible should be completely ashamed. If you are incapable of keeping your bitter, and foolish, views away from Firhill, at least don't you dare put my clubs colours against them. You are a disgrace and I hope you get tanked on Friday morning. None of you would ever be welcome back at Firhill if it was up to me. Oh dear, will there be tears.........

I'm assuming this post is an elaborate joke?

All welcome at Firhill regardless of views on referendum.

Yes, I suppose my complaints about yesterday were really only a yellow card offence in the cold light of day.

At least it will be over soon. If we go ten points clear of St Mirren on Friday (with County having to go to Pittodrie on the Saturday) then all will be well again.

Is it really? As I said earlier anyone with a Union Jack in Firhill on Friday night will not be made welcome by the majority. Why?

But anyone with a saltire will be welcomed with open arms by the majority. Bigots exist in our support, doesnt matter if it's about Ireland or Scotland, a bigot is a bigot.

I will there on Friday night and I will accept what ever way our referendum turns out. If we have independence then all the saltires that are at the game are more than welcome and if we still part of the United Kingdom, then all union jacks that are there are welcome, but this will not happen, nobody would feel safe taking a Union Jack flag. Why?

Certainly nothing to do with politics

No politics at football - I may be wrong, but I think there is at least 1 advertising hoarding around the ground from a political party. Should the club remove this immediately and return the fee for advertising?

When up at Pittodrie I noticed a Halliburton advertising hoarding. On the face of it why not? The conglomerate are also a local employer promoting itself at a local sports club. I'm wondering if Aberdeen FC had refused to accept advertising from that company if their fans would be ripping them apart or praising them for making a stance. Either way that would be a case of bringing politics into sport.

Halliburton may not be the greatest example tho' personally I would be uneasy about them advertising at Firhill. The point being that there has to be a line drawn somewhere re what is and what is not acceptable and that's often going to be political. Just saying politics and sport don't mix is all very well. Openly accepting that they will occasionally overlap and doing your best to minimalise both the size of the overlap and the number of occasions is the best route to take.

Anyway regardless how you feel about yesterday it's been and gone. It's not some on going regular problem.