January Window

ayrshire jag

Would be very sorry to see SOD leave, for nothing and especially to Dundee Utd. We need a little bit of luck, to get big money for one or two of our better players. If we had a million or two in the bank, we could pay that little bit more to our players and fend off the likes of Dundee Utd. Basically, I think we need a bit of good fortune in the transfer market to help us move up the food chain.

United have received millions in fees for Gauld and Robertson. They also have much bigger home gates and will receive more SPFL prize money than us. Realistically, there is no chance that we could compete with them on wages in the summer.

United have received millions in fees for Gauld and Robertson. They also have much bigger home gates and will receive more SPFL prize money than us. Realistically, there is no chance that we could compete with them on wages in the summer.

That's why I'm saying we need a bit of luck in the transfer market?

He's clearly using the situation to look for votes. Embarrassing really.

I'd say he'd be better focusing on his policies rather than bowing to mob rule but that'd be very short lived.

I have supported the Labour Party and it's values all my life and IMO Ed Millaband is the worst leader, of the worst leadership we have ever had, and believe me we have had some really bad leaders :happy2:

What would genuinely be the reaction of our fans if we offered Ched Evans a deal?

Steve Bruce from Hull has came out in his support, and I think it is a legitimate appeal. While I know he is a convicted rapist, the details of his conviction are very skewed. The victum didn't actually report Evans and has never said she was raped - all proceedings and alegations have came from the police. He is consistently reffered to as footballer ched evans in the trial (no other case ever says the profession as in the eyes of the law it is irrelevant). The cctv of the night shows the women happily going back to the hotel and she asked to go there, also shows her in a fit state (for after a night out). The receptionist in the hotel over heard the women and said she sounded fine. This all came at a time when laws changed so that no longer a women had to say "no" for it to be rape but this doesn't mean she has to say yes - it just has to be consentual and the women has never indicated it wasn't consentual. In fact Evans and his friend both say the women said ok to Evans 'joining in' (as with everything else the women claims no memory). It does appear the police and court have punnished Evans for his high profile stature and the ability to send out a message that rape isn't just when someone says no. I think it is more than likely he will get his appeal - he has already served his time anyway.

Remember in law the proof has to be by the prosecution and the jury has to be sure beyond reasonable doubt that the offence took place - this can't be said for this case, so it almost certainly will get over-turned.

Like Steve Bruce, I think he deserves a chance. While it is a contentious decision as no club obviously wants associated with a rapist, I think Evans is probably innocent and has served a long time for an offence that would definitely of gone unpunnished if he wasn't a footballer. Then being a footballer means he can't return to work. Anyway, I for one, wouldn't be against Thistle giving him a platform to play again and I was wondering others opinions on it? Am I alone in my thinking? I realise we are trying to be this family, women welcome, club and I guess thats where the most concerns will be.

not meaning to be cheeky but is there any chance you could do a separate thread on ched Evans mate?

Just I'm reading to see who we may be linked with in the January window and we have a discussion now forming on Evans that has nothing to do with the topic that way those interested in discussing or reading about Evans can do in its own separate thread.

Thanks

Edited by Third Lanark

We should be in a position to offer O'Donnell a competitive deal (should we stay up), along the lines of what Stevenson is rumoured to be on. Would that be enough to keep him? Probably not as DU can still offer more but it's certainly worth trying to push the boat out to keep him, he's improved so much & has all the attributes that will either benefit us or make us some cash in the future.

Edited by 1 John Lambie

I wouldn't sign the guy but I think he is probably innocent. You would think he would just come out after his sentence and keep his head down but fair play for taking on the appeal. What annoys me is that on talksport they can't just say 'Ched Evans' his name is now 'convicted rapist Ched Evans', And that fat w4nk Alan Brazil calls him that all the time, how would he like his breakfast show to be called 'The convicted drink driver Alan Brazil show'.

So back to the thread, I see in the papers today it's saying we're looking at Palazuelos as someone said earlier. He's not played much in 2014 and I don't fancy the though of him,Frans and Seaborne in the back 4 as they look like they are going to be quite injury prone.

That's why I'm saying we need a bit of luck in the transfer market?

A bit of luck would be very welcome but who could we get big money for? The best offer that we have had recently was £50k for Lawless 18 months ago. We got nothing for Cairney, Paton, Erskine and ATS. It now seems that our top young players are happy to stay with us until they are 23 or so and then move on for free.

SOD needs to move on. For himself as much as anything. Realistically, we've no chance of competing. All change in the summer.

Are you Colin Quinn who commented on the Jags' transfer window on the BBC website? Quinn was pretty scathing about Eccleston and ignored Carroll completely.

"Nathan Eccleston hasn't done much. I didn't have huge expectations but when you see a player on social media talking about how cold it is at training, you know he's not cut out for the job."

Are you Colin Quinn who commented on the Jags' transfer window on the BBC website? Quinn was pretty scathing about Eccleston and ignored Carroll completely.

"Nathan Eccleston hasn't done much. I didn't have huge expectations but when you see a player on social media talking about how cold it is at training, you know he's not cut out for the job."

to be fair it's been rumoured on here that eccleston is one of our highest paid players I know he has not featured all that often but u wouldn't say he has so far justified his high wage

A bit of luck would be very welcome but who could we get big money for?

Dare say others will differ, but the two players I think could have the potential to go for big money are;

Stevie Lawless - Reminds me of Archie Gemmill, would flourish in a top league like the English Premiership.

Gary Fraser - I'm always a bit shocked when I see a picture of Gary and realise how young he is, because when you see him play, you just assume by the way he carries himself, that he's a much older player. Not the finished article, but if he matures to fufill his potential, how much would he be worth?

IMO, both these players have the skill and footballing brains to play at the very top level.

SOD needs to move on. For himself as much as anything. Realistically, we've no chance of competing. All change in the summer.

Not picking here LSR, all change suggests a clear out. This might be by players not extending or us selling. Either way all change does not sound good. To consolidate in the league you need some continuity. I would really fear for our premiership survival if we needed to change big numbers.

In November the Jags were linked with an interest in Stephen Dooley. He is a highly rated right winger. Played for Coleraine while still at school in the town.He went to the USA on a sports scholarship and captained Layola College in Maryland.He continued to play for Coleraine when he came home on holiday and more recently Derry City and received rave reviews. He went to England on trial but has now signed for Derry City who were desperate to sign him. Perhaps with young Declan looking so promising it may not be such a great loss. My wife is from Coleraine and her niece's partner played with Stephen at school and at Coleraine and described him as brilliant.

Not picking here LSR, all change suggests a clear out. This might be by players not extending or us selling. Either way all change does not sound good. To consolidate in the league you need some continuity. I would really fear for our premiership survival if we needed to change big numbers.

Why does it not sound good, it's an opportunity for Archie to clear out those he doesn't see being able to make us a team who will be regarded as a mid table team.

It's a chance for him to bring in players he will have been monitoring over the last two years.

He's watched a group of players day in day out for the last two seasons with the club playing in the top flight. He knows who has the mentality to help the team develop. He will try to keep those, others he deems not good enough will move on.

Why does it not sound good, it's an opportunity for Archie to clear out those he doesn't see being able to make us a team who will be regarded as a mid table team.

It's a chance for him to bring in players he will have been monitoring over the last two years.

He's watched a group of players day in day out for the last two seasons with the club playing in the top flight. He knows who has the mentality to help the team develop. He will try to keep those, others he deems not good enough will move on.

Think the only flaw in this is our ability to bring in the hypothetical players that he has been monitoring. Clearing out (if that is what is required - I personally don't agree) is the easy part - getting the targets signed is something else.

Two words - Lyle Taylor.

Think the only flaw in this is our ability to bring in the hypothetical players that he has been monitoring. Clearing out (if that is what is required - I personally don't agree) is the easy part - getting the targets signed is something else.

Two words - Lyle Taylor.

There is nowt Archie or the board can do if players like SOD and Higgy don't want to sign extended contracts. We thank them for their service, they move on and we get other players in. That's the way it is nowadays. I like both players but they, like any other players, are replaceable.

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

There is nowt Archie or the board can do if players like SOD and Higgy don't want to sign extended contracts. We thank them for their service, they move on and we get other players in. That's the way it is nowadays. I like both players but they, like any other players, are replaceable.

Everyone wants to play at the top level, further their career, win medals & of course, be financially sound.

The problem I have is losing players to teams around us.

If I it's a team that can pay considerably more money then fair enough but in Scotland unless you're joking Celtic, Aberdeen or Sevco then that's not happening.

I'd also argue that these 3 clubs are the most likely to win trophies- Sevco if they get back to SPL & throw (more) money about.

So, why then are we potentially losing players to our 'competitors'.

Do some think that the club's ambition of finishing 10th not to their liking?

If these guys go down Siuth, fair enough. However if we're serious about building & establishing ourselves as a top 6 top flight team then we shouldn't be losing laters to rivals around us.

My opinion.