January Window

ayrshire jag

Left back is the top priority in my view unless we're going to stick with SOD on the right and Jordan on the left, then it's less urgent. We need a different type of striker than what we already have.

Agree, but i think it was yourself Will that pointed out a good while out that getting anything close to a replacement for ATS will be very difficult. With that in mind I'm not too sure that McMillan, with Keenan and Bannigan as cover, won't remain our options. I'm presuming that Carroll will be returned. He won't be a great loss but I'm not that sure, given the position, we'll be able to bring in (temporary or otherwise) much better.

Bringing in a striker is more straightforward. I'm uncertain just what type of striker Eccleston is but effectively what we require is someone who'll offer something different to Doolan. I guess a player who's strong, good in the air and a bit of a nuisance. Sutton, Brian Graham and Steven Thompson probably best represent that style of player we need. Better quality than maybe one of them but that type of forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Small piece in today's Sunday Mail in which the manager says the whole budget was not spent in the summer and he will be looking to bring in 2 players in January.

I hope that's 2 players plus replacing any who leave.

I'd say a left back and an attacking midfielder/striker are the priority.

Would extending Frans stay be seen as 1 of the 2?

I'd like to see us go for Liam Henderson on loan from Celtic. I've been impressed with him whenever I've watched him although he's only had a handful of games and scored 1 goal, guess who that was against. He's a box to box midfielder and is good on the ball. I know we've got loads of midfielders but he has something to prove and would freshen up our midfield. It would also allow Bannigan to go into left back when Carroll leaves.

I'd like to see us go for Liam Henderson on loan from Celtic. I've been impressed with him whenever I've watched him although he's only had a handful of games and scored 1 goal, guess who that was against. He's a box to box midfielder and is good on the ball. I know we've got loads of midfielders but he has something to prove and would freshen up our midfield. It would also allow Bannigan to go into left back when Carroll leaves.

Maybe his dad could put in a good word for us?

Thought Carroll had turned the corner for us, but he was back to the dross that he served up earlier in the season, on Saturday. If Freddie signs an extension I don't think we need anyone defensively and I would go with McMillan at left back with Banzo as back up if Jordan is injured/suspended. What we need is a striker and an attacking midfielder in the Albert Craig/Martin Hardie mode. Other than that I think we are pretty well covered elsewhere

Quite a few posters are hoping for a new striker and left back. Are you writing off Eccleston and Carroll as dud signings? La Scimmia Rossa thought they were great replacements for Taylor and ATS. Surely, he can't have been wrong!

Edited by kni

Carroll was only ever on loan...

As were Prince Buaben, Lyle Taylor and Chris Erskine last season.

A loan is still a signing and Carroll was signed to be the first choice left-back. Are you suggesting that the manager should not seek to extend Carroll's loan?