St Johnstone 25Th October

read'n'yell

I know it is quite early to start a match thread but I think it's best to move on from what was a good performance, if not a good result, against United.

Obviously Seaborne is suspended and with Higgy, Welsh and Fraser all out we are missing keys players. Frans will be in I guess and reckon Archie will stick with the rest of the same team (maybe bringing in Eccleston for Doolan).

EDIT:

Came to my attention today that St Johnstone have lost five in a row. As soon as I read that, the alarm bells started to ring. I just hope we don't continue this habit of stopping teams losing runs.

Came to my attention today that St Johnstone have lost five in a row. As soon as I read that, the alarm bells started to ring. I just hope we don't continue this habit of stopping teams losing runs.

Of course we will - it's the Thistle way.

Remember St Mirren when the team played like they all had been up all night watching the referendum results?

Of course we will - it's the Thistle way.

Tam Cowan was saying something similar about his own team on Saturday. It's something all fans think their team exclusively does.

I'm quite confident of a win after seeing Saturday's performance. I missed the Motherwell game but we played well against Dundee Utd. Looking forward to this.

Same team for me with Frans in for Seaborne. I'd be tempted to throw Fraser in if he's fit, he was out doing some work before the match yesterday so he ca't be far away.

I don't see what Ecclestone offers better than Doolan does, in the limited amount I have seen from him. He strikes me as a player who would work alot better in a forward 2.

• Like 2

Having missed our last two games I find myself in the strange position of looking forward to a match against the Saintees. I took advantage of the excellent £30 offer available for online purchases for the St Johnstone and Aberdeen games. The club really need to perk up the home crowds however possible.

My heart says we will lose 1-0 or draw in a crappy 0-0 affair.

My head says we can get a comfortable 2-0 or 3-1 victory.

St Johnstone going on 6 game losing streaks ties in with relegation from the top flight. They seem a team and support devoid of confidence.

It would be great to add to their discomfort and we are more than capable of inflicting more pain on the fermers.

I'm looking forward to seeing Frans strut his stuff, hopefully.

If it wasn't for the suspension to Seabourne then there's a good chance he might have still be on the bench for this.

Hopefully he really impresses and he can play alongside Seabourne for the rest of the season.

My one worry is that although we can expect Frans to be a pretty solid defender, is he going to organise the defence? Seabourne's real importance isn't that he's a better defender than Balatoni or Muirhead (though he is), it's that he gets the back four organised when he plays.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I'd suggest to provide competition for places.

How much is he on?

But if he's not the right man for the system we are intent on playing...

I've heard a figure quoted from a few folk now.

Although no one can claim to know the inner workings of the club & what's being paid unless they know the actual person, let's just say that if true, & no reason at all to doubt these folk, he's on more than certain others in the first team.

For what it's worth, I have no problem paying the wages to attract a 'better quality' of player to the club.

Jury out on Ecclestone's scoring record but that doesn't mean he won't score a barrow load up here. But again, if the system we play doesn't suit him...

See Ryan Stevenson.

But if he's not the right man for the system we are intent on playing...

I've heard a figure quoted from a few folk now.

Although no one can claim to know the inner workings of the club & what's being paid unless they know the actual person, let's just say that if true, & no reason at all to doubt these folk, he's on more than certain others in the first team.

For what it's worth, I have no problem paying the wages to attract a 'better quality' of player to the club.

Jury out on Ecclestone's scoring record but that doesn't mean he won't score a barrow load up here. But again, if the system we play doesn't suit him...

See Ryan Stevenson.

Who says he's not the right man for our system? a couple of fans who post on here, who've seen him for how many minutes?

lets not forget Lyle Taylor was miles off the pace when he joined us last season, nowhere near fit enough to last 45 minutes, it took him time to settle, get fit etc.

• Like 1

Who says he's not the right man for our system? a couple of fans who post on here, who've seen him for how many minutes?

lets not forget Lyle Taylor was miles off the pace when he joined us last season, nowhere near fit enough to last 45 minutes, it took him time to settle, get fit etc.

He played as the lone striker for Falkirk so was at least familiar with a Scottish game.

As for being miles off the pace... Did he not score in his second game? His first being against Celtic away IIRC.

He also started both these games.

Ecclestone came to us way off the pace. Goodwin outpaced him over 15yards after he came on as a sub in last 15 minutes.

That's another issue but I was shocked at how unfit he was to be honest.

As for playing on his own, we'll see. I've already said that he should be given his chance. I just wonder if, like Dools at times, he'll struggle if we don't get bodies close enough to support him.

Lyle Taylor scored three goals in his first three games for us last season. In fairness, initially he did struggle to last 90 minutes and was regularly subbed off for Doolan. Eccleston has made nothing like the same impact and it's three months into the season. Maybe he and Stevenson will come good...

I mind Eccleston being interviewed and saying he offers something different. A bit of a cliche, I know, but I wish the next question had been "in what way?". I don't think he was match fit even as late as his last appearance when he played in SOD so I haven't been able to form any real opinion about the lad. Just how he varies in style, never mind in ability, from Doolan remains unknown.

We were mugged at tannadice. Deserved a point.

Not trying to excuse the result. Although they sit in second place I think that is a reflection on the below par quality of the league and I think united will improve. We should be capitalising on that, and in fairness to our lads, they're not far off doing just that. Big improvement on last year's trips to Dundee.

I cite our games against 1st placed Hamilton and 2nd placed Inverness as evidence that despite our position in the league we're not too far off the pace. Aberdeen and Killie away have been the only games we've not performed sufficiently to argue a convincing case for being unlucky or squeezed out of taking something from the game. That said, I would argue that we are capapble of taking points from those two in future.

All games are crucial till we make relegation an imposibility, but this coming fixture against Perth has evolved into a particularly psychologically significant one. Postponed celtic fixture asides, it completes the first quarter and will reveal the first concrete evindence of how we compare in the league. That they are currently just one point behind us adds to the pressure to win.

I tend to be of like mind with jagsfox about heart and mind. Though I think if we do win it will be slim. They have a poor goal difference but seem to loose or win by the odd goal. Loosing May has hit them bad. If we had Higgy, Fraser and Seabourne available I'd be much more confindent of a decent win.

We all need to loose the Thistle tendency of self doubt and pessimism. This squad is full of potential and Archie has a difficult task in releasing it which has been hampered with injury and lack of funds. However, the results against Motherwell and united, with several key players out, show that he is building a competitive squad for this league. I think he does need to think more about what certain players can do for the team, Stevenson being the prime example, and use the squad more to evolve and expand our style. We need to get right behind him and the team now, do what real fans do, show that their efforts are appreciated and important to us, play our part and support them.

Winning the league, Europe, top 6, would be awesome and it is what we are striving for. Survival will keep that dream alive.

Still very proud of where we're at.

:fan:

• Like 2

How can people question Eccleston already comparing him to Doolan? We've barely seen him.

In his few brief sub appearances he has got one goal (easy finish but he was in the right place!) and set up O'Donnell beautifully for another (Motherwell at the time were pushing for an equaliser and we know what we are like holding onto points). So two important contributions in next to no time on the pitch.

I'd give him a start. Doolan gives defences too easy a time. United had so long on the ball at the back. He's too easy to place against in my opinion. Remember when we had Taylor? Other teams got no chance to play from the back due to his presence. Dools is good for a goal every 3 or so games and the occasional good touch. But all round I don't think is quite up to premiership first choice striker.

Anyway, I know a lot of people will disagree with that but that's my thoughts being as unbiased as I can.

• Like 1

Have to say I agree entirely with read 'n' yell on his comments about Doolan. He will get us 12-15 goals over a season and he does work hard but he just doesn't contribute enough overall to the team. He gets knocked off the ball too easily and is not good at holding onto the ball for long enough to bring other players into play. I would still hold on to him as good strikers are thin on the ground but he is well short of Lyle Taylor who really did put defenders under a lot of pressure.

You don't mate, you're fine with that analysis.

The other one that gets my goat is the use of 'of' instead of 'have'.

'should of' should be a direct ban for inability to be able to write the language properly.

So glad you concur, it's a major concern of mine too Barnaby :puke: