Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

• Members

. . . and the other one.

http://9hp2y0.jpg

And these pictures answer my question from a day or two ago...
I didn't start going to see Thistle till the following season, but interested to note that those strips don't have the red Thistle on the shirt, the yellow stripes round the top of the socks or the black stripe down the side of the shorts! Were these introduced for season 71-72?
We played the 70-71 season without a Thistle on our chest and no stripe down the side of our shorts or on the socks. This is definitely one of the best threads there's been on this forum for us older Jags fans anyway!
  • Like 1

On a day we're all feeling good to be Jags fans, here's another golden oldie from the Football Scot mag issue 32 from May 8th 1971.

http://200pbwg.jpg

That was a Tuesday or Wednesday night.

As a few of us young mob waited patiently outside the players' entrance, after the game, for our heroes' autographs (which, mostly, we eventually got), a club official on the door pointed us to the other side of the road and to a lone figure standing there who would be willing to sign our books. Whilst most of us partly recognised him, this wasn't the time or place to be getting autographs off Celtic reserves; it was a night of high celebration, and only the signatures of the champions would suffice. I don't think Kenny Dalglish was that bothered anyway.

This is definitely one of the best threads there's been on this forum for us older Jags fans anyway!

Totally agree Will and as I said earlier in the thread, it's free from the usual suspects that think they know everything and love telling you that as well. My dad started taking me to Firhill when I was two. Obviously don't remember much about many games at that age, funnily enough one of my earliest memories is not about Firhill, it's at Cathkin where if my memory serves me well, I remember being amazed by the differing sizes of both goalies. Our goalie, John Freebairn was a man mountain who used to toss the caber ( missus) at the Highland Games and Third Lanark had wee Jocky Robertson in goals, who is probably the small pro goalie I have ever seen.

Totally agree Will and as I said earlier in the thread, it's free from the usual suspects that think they know everything and love telling you that as well. My dad started taking me to Firhill when I was two. Obviously don't remember much about many games at that age, funnily enough one of my earliest memories is not about Firhill, it's at Cathkin where if my memory serves me well, I remember being amazed by the differing sizes of both goalies. Our goalie, John Freebairn was a man mountain who used to toss the caber ( missus) at the Highland Games and Third Lanark had wee Jocky Robertson in goals, who is probably the small pro goalie I have ever seen.

Nice story. Mention of Cathkin prompted me to upload this old photo. No obvious Thistle connection (though some wizard might spot one somewhere). Third Lanark vs. Celtic. Brilliant reflection.

Thirdsvs_Tic.jpg

Edited by Jaggernaut

Jimmy Bone and Tommy Rae. Must admit that Tommy wasn't one of my favourite Jags players

I'd go along with what somebody wrote in a thread some time ago: he was much sharper in his first spell with us, then seemed to have lost some flair when he returned from Aberdeen. Still scored a fair number of important goals for us, though. Here's another, the only goal in the League Cup match vs. Killie, Sep 2nd 1967.

T_Rae_scores_vs_Killie.jpg

Tommy Rae, from memory, was more a mercurial member of the squad: superb for spells, and insignificant for long stretches in equal measure. Also, IIRC, it was his conversion from outside right to CF that saw a notable escalation in his goals tally (maybe as you'd expect), and his move to Pittodrie.

That photo of Tommy Rae against Rangers - are the people in front of the main stand seated, or is that a small terracing area? And where were the dugouts?

You can see 1 dugout on the extreme left of the photo. The dugouts weren't 'open' the way we are used to them now. They were either side of the old tunnel, just like now

remember there was only 1 sub at that time, and even that hadn't long been introduced (50's?)

Edited by jaggy

• Members

Richard! When Thistle extended the old stand and built new dressing rooms down at the City end, it was torture for the players, management and officials. The fans would start to move round to that corner, which was also the main exit from the ground at that end, with about 10 minutes to go. At the final whistle if we'd had a poor result the amount of abuse that was given was incredible. Players back then were so much more thick skinned. They had to be!

That photo of Tommy Rae against Rangers - are the people in front of the main stand seated, or is that a small terracing area? And where were the dugouts?

That was what was commonly referred to as "the enclosure" or "the standing enclosure". It was more or less standard in most grounds to have an enclosure in front of a ground's main stand. You usually paid slightly more than the terracing, primarily as it was generally considerably safer place to stand. At a time when many grounds' behind goal terracing was a good bit back from the bye line you'd often get a closer view of play.

That was what was commonly referred to as "the enclosure" or "the standing enclosure". It was more or less standard in most grounds to have an enclosure in front of a ground's main stand. You usually paid slightly more than the terracing, primarily as it was generally considerably safer place to stand. At a time when many grounds' behind goal terracing was a good bit back from the bye line you'd often get a closer view of play.

I remember at one time there was a turnstile at either end of the enclosure so after paying to enter the terracing, you then paid extra to enter the enclosure.

I remember at one time there was a turnstile at either end of the enclosure so after paying to enter the terracing, you then paid extra to enter the enclosure.

i seem to recall there were also a number of flights of steps leading from the stand down to the enclosure if your backside needed a respite from the unforgiving wooden seats

Aye and there was a crackin wee pie stall at the city end that served the enclosure and the city end terracing supporters. Used to always be my first port of call after coming up the stairs at the city end

Richard! When Thistle extended the old stand and built new dressing rooms down at the City end, it was torture for the players, management and officials. The fans would start to move round to that corner, which was also the main exit from the ground at that end, with about 10 minutes to go. At the final whistle if we'd had a poor result the amount of abuse that was given was incredible. Players back then were so much more thick skinned. They had to be!

Agreed Will....even managerial legends like Lambie used to get flamed down in that corner after a bad result