Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

Looks like Aberdeen, I remember Rough having a great game against them sometime in the early 80's. I was actually there, I do remember it being very cold, but I can't remember it snowing.

This was 1992-93 If you were there you would have remembered it for Davie Lyles half time battle with weather and brush.. Abandoned early in 2nd half.

Apologies for the second game of this Youtube clip. Stop watching at 1.00

You can see 1 dugout on the extreme left of the photo. The dugouts weren't 'open' the way we are used to them now. They were either side of the old tunnel, just like now remember there was only 1 sub at that time, and even that hadn't long been introduced (50's?)

Have always thought 'proper football' grounds have the tunnel bisecting the main atand just looks and feels right.

Hearts away in Scottish Cup in 89 I think. Lost 2-0? From left, Jim Kerr, Gerry Collins, not sure, Jim Dempsey, Alan Dinnie, John Brough(?). McPherson & Colquhoun for Hearts

Excellent! The other player certainly isn't Chico, and I don't think it's John Flood or Bobby Law. That would make him either John Mitchell, Gerry McCoy, or Gary Peebles.

Is it my imagination, or does John Brough look uncannily like a young fatboy Goram in that photo?

Perhaps, given the length of his career but he was 32 at the time.

Thanks for pointing that out! He was 40 when his career ended with 'Tic.

If Paul Gallagher can keep playing like he has been recently.....

ETA: I didn't know that he was at Newcastle for 9 years before moving to Hibs.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Perhaps, given the length of his career but he was 32 at the time.

jock stein didn't fancy simpson as a 'keeper and gave him a free transfer from hibs; the pair were then reunited at parkhead where simpson became a lisbon lion and made his scotland debut in the 3-2 annihilation of england at wembley in '67

Hmm, some question marks over Ledgerwood in that game and at least one other, it would appear. He never played for us again after the mysterious 10-1 defeat in the final game of the season that saw Dunfermline stay up.

My father told me a story that the players were on a bonus to win the cup, but just before kick off the board withdrew it. The players went out and didn't try a leg. Jags 4-0 at half time. Half time they were offered some kind of bonus to haul it back??. Better performance in second half, but eventual 5-1 defeat. My old man said Ledgerwood was a great keeper, byt in Jags fashion, a bampot and often erratic!

In the meantime, here's another pic. Eerie floodlights on the main stand, and a dim view of part of the city end terracing.

I've got this labelled as "Goal vs. Killie," so some research required for details...

goal_v_killie.jpg

A tricky one, as I can't make out the top left autograph. All the others played in 2-3 defeat to Killie on 24th December, 1960. Our scorers were Alex Wright and Tommy Ewing. Here it looks like Tommy Ewing has just scored. I think that's George Muir coming in to join the celebration.

Thanks Jaggernaut for this posting. In the huddle are Neil Duffy, Tommy Ewing, Joe McBride and Dougie Baird. George Smith and Frank Donlevy are coming to join them. Scotland centre half Willie Toner is waking away is blaming the full back . And the ballboy is...........me. After the photo appeared in the newspaper my dad went to their office in town and got the photo. In the 90s I took it to one of these events where lots of former players were present and I got many autographs. I sent a scanned copy of the photo to the programme editor for use if he ever wanted it. So it must have eventually reached where Jaggernaut found it.I must dig out t original and find out who all signed it.

• Like 4