Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

12 hours ago, jaggy said:

I only saw Tommy in his second spell, and to be honest I'd groan when his name was read out as a starter. I think to be fair he had a great first spell, and possibly got injured when at Aberdeen.

He had certainly lost some pace when he returned from Aberdeen. Who knows what they did to him up there!

On 8/15/2018 at 9:48 PM, jaggy said:

Tommy Rae scoring, not sure of the other Jag or any opponents. Maybe a young Joe Craig but I can’t remember him without a moustache. Suspect the opponents are Hearts, Dundee or Falkirk by the dark colour.  I sort of recognise no.6 but can’t remember a name. Was thinking Aird but I think he was a winger for St Johnstone 

It was a Scottish Cup game vs. Hearts 1974

http://partickthistleahistory.wikifoundry.com/page/v+Hearts+(H)+SC+1974 

4 hours ago, stuthejag said:

It was a Scottish Cup game vs. Hearts 1974

http://partickthistleahistory.wikifoundry.com/page/v+Hearts+(H)+SC+1974 

I was at that game - it was a Cup Replay played on a Wednesday afternoon during the Miners'Strike/3 day week - no floodlight games permitted because of the fuel shortage. 

I don't recognise any of the Hearts players in the photo but do remember Donald Ford was brilliant in that game - probably the best individual performance I've seen from an opposition player at Firhill - a goal and three assists,  setting up a tap-in hat-trick for Willie Gibson who I think subsequently played (not very well ) for Thistle as did his son.

Tommy Rae scored a lot of goals for Thistle in his first spell...and hardly any for Aberdeen when he was transferred. I just remember him from his second spell at Firhill - he wasn't very good but he was in the category of "faithful club servant".

On 17 August 2018 at 10:08 PM, jaggy said:

Jags in all red v Dumbarton or East Fife?  I liked that away strip but don’t remember  seeing it very often 

I  also thought that was a great strip.  Pretty sure we wore the red top with blue shorts on a couple of a occasions too, or is my memory playing tricks?

10 minutes ago, DenisOhDenis said:

I  also thought that was a great strip.  Pretty sure we wore the red top with blue shorts on a couple of a occasions too, or is my memory playing tricks?

I think you're correct as we also wore blue shorts on a few occasions with the yellow top for some strange reason.

7 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Thanks. Dumbarton did wear a similar strip around that time as well.

Off on a tangent but anyone mind the game we played v the Sons when the strips clashed? We had the the jester outfit and they'd a yellow and black strip of similar template. Viewing from the stand when we attacked and they ran back the strips were identical. Ref spoiled the fun by ordering a change of tops for the 2nd half.   

20 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Off on a tangent but anyone mind the game we played v the Sons when the strips clashed? We had the the jester outfit and they'd a yellow and black strip of similar template. Viewing from the stand when we attacked and they ran back the strips were identical. Ref spoiled the fun by ordering a change of tops for the 2nd half.   

Only strip change I remember, around that time was away at Brechin in the Cup.

18 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I also think Jimmy Bone.... and No. 8 McQuade!

You could well be right about the no. 8.  Certainly lanky enough but I don't remember him being quite as hairy as that.  On the other hand my memory isn't exactly reliable these days.  I had forgotten my profile pic shows Denis in the aforementioned red top with blue shorts.  

On 19/08/2018 at 9:06 AM, stuthejag said:

both from the same game

ScreenHunter_1622 Aug. 19 09.05.jpg

ScreenHunter_1622 Aug. 19 09.06.jpg

I think the Thistle Player in the top photograph is Donnie McDowall - I don't remember seeing him play but he was a youngster who was in team photos around 1970/71 - he was a 5ft 5inch striker which was probably why he never made the grade. This must have been a reserve game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stuthejag said:

I was lucky enough to spend some time interviewing John Harvey at the weekend (hopefully for a new podcast), he gave me access to his picture collection.

ScreenHunter_1628 Aug. 19 20.43.jpg

Players :-Muir, Brown, Freebairn, Harvey, Donlevy, Smith, McParland, Wright, Hogan, Cunningham and Fleming, Staff :- Husband and Thornton and for the life of me can't put a name to the one next to George Muir, and I should know, might be McLean

Edited by paralytic thistle