Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

no argument - this is the very best topic ever launched on our forum. many thanks jaggernaut for starting all the wondrous memories. i repeatedly go back to the very start just to luxuriate in all those fantastic names of my youth; tommy ledgerwood...sandy brown...jimmy davidson...johnny mac..i won'y go on and on but i hope this topic does! thanks also to everyone who has contributed all the phots...

Edited by robphil
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, paralytic thistle said:

Players :-Muir, Brown, Freebairn, Harvey, Donlevy, Smith, McParland, Wright, Hogan, Cunningham and Fleming, Staff :- Husband and Thornton and for the life of me can't put a name to the one next to George Muir, and I should know, might be McLean

It's Adam McLean.

1 hour ago, jaggy said:

Was wondering that as well. Maybe some 5-a-side summer tournament? Or else our keeper got injured?

John Harvey played in goals. Quite often a outfield player was keeper in the summer 5 a side tournaments. This picture is from one at Ibrox

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, robphil said:

is it my memory playing tricks or am i correct in thinking that davie mcp once toured the U.S. as a guest player for third lanark when joe mcinnes pulled out of the trip?

That's correct Joe pulled out because he had nobody to loom after his dogs.

3 hours ago, jaggy said:

Was wondering that as well. Maybe some 5-a-side summer tournament? Or else our keeper got injured?

Can't find any match these 5 players played together against Third Lanark (assuming it  is Third Lanark/Joe McInnes in the background).  Looks like the 5-a-side tournament at the annual Rangers Sports day on 2/8/1958.  No record of the score by Rangers beat Celtic by 1 goal+ 1corner to 1 goal.

PT, it was Rangers' 72nd annual sports meeting.  Police sports were separate.  They may have hired Ibrox (even Firhill?) on occasion but Rangers' sports days were well established in their own right.  The Glasgow Herald report says that the World and Empire (in today's speak, Commonwealth) 440 yards hurdles record-holder was the outstanding attraction at the games.  Rather eclipsed Messrs Kerr, Baird, Harvey, McParland and Mathers!

1951 Police Sports Day extended an invitation to compete in the ladies events to ***** Blankers-Koen. She, a famous Dutch sprinter nicknamed The Flying Housewife, had been a multi Olympic gold medal winner two years earlier. Not surprisingly she won the two sprints she entered. More surprising was the caption on the Evening Citizen newstands that day "Flying ***** Wows Them at Ibrox!"

eta didn't realise that  Ms B-K's first name of F&nny was such a sensitive issue:)

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

9 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

1951 Police Sports Day extended an invitation to compete in the ladies events to ***** Blankers-Koen. She, a famous Dutch sprinter nicknamed The Flying Housewife, had been a multi Olympic gold medal winner two years earlier. Not surprisingly she won the two sprints she entered. More surprising was the caption on the Evening Citizen newstands that day "Flying ***** Wows Them at Ibrox!"

eta didn't realise that  Ms B-K's first name of F&nny was such a sensitive issue:)

:D

\\\\In addition to Glasgow Police Sports and Rangers Sports at Ibrox I remember five-a-side competitions at Shawfield (Lanarkshire Police Sports) and Helenvale (Glasgow Transport Sports). Maybe it's just me but I think most of the crowds were there for the fitba'. 

20 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

My guess would be far left Benny Rooney & John Hansen(No2)

I agree. Big crowd and going by the crowd and strip I think it must be the 75/76 league winning season.  Could it be the Killie game that we won 2-0? 12 or 15k crowd iirc.  Not sure about the opponents strip, but I do remember Killie wearing a strip around then that was mainly white. 

On 8/21/2018 at 7:56 PM, Winter of '63 said:

I think the Thistle Player in the top photograph is Donnie McDowall - I don't remember seeing him play but he was a youngster who was in team photos around 1970/71 - he was a 5ft 5inch striker which was probably why he never made the grade. This must have been a reserve game.

That's some memory  Wof63 - I went to school with Donnie 50 years ago. You could be right!