Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:02 PM, One t in Scotland said:

Incredible that John Harvey played from 1951 --> 1965. Outstanding.

That was in the days when people still shouted things like 'Play up, the bully wee Clyde!' at football matches! And fans chanted parodies of Gilbert and Sullivan arias on the terraces!!  Everybody wore a hat. And smoked . I still remember the mixed aromas of hot Bovril, meat pies and old men's pipes (© Finbar  Saunders!) in the old wooden stand on midweek nights at reserve games (before I was allowed to see the 'big team').

Probably the worst insult you would hear was something like 'Away ye go, ya big lump o' wid'!

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 3:21 AM, Semi Nurainen said:

That was in the days when people still shouted things like 'Play up, the bully wee Clyde!' at football matches! And fans chanted parodies of Gilbert and Sullivan arias on the terraces!!  Everybody wore a hat. And smoked . I still remember the mixed aromas of hot Bovril, meat pies and old men's pipes (© Finbar  Saunders!) in the old wooden stand on midweek nights at reserve games (before I was allowed to see the 'big team').

Probably the worst insult you would hear was something like 'Away ye go, ya big lump o' wid'!

Thanks for managing to waken up that long-dormant olfactory memory perfectly! 

The smell used to be trapped in the void just under the stairs where the pie shop was, when people stood about a half time. Always a reserve game, I don't know why.

Just after the smoking ban was introduced, there was a trend, especially in the 'old men's pubs', where you suddenly noticed the stink  of p1sh from the toilets. The smoke had camouflaged it for years!

• Like 2

Agreed. 

My guess would be Frank Coulston and Arthur Duncan.  Possibly Roy Barry on the left.  Looks like Alex Ferguson on the right but he's not listed in the Glasgow Herald line-up.   13/4/1968.  Lost 1-2.  Niven, Campbell, West, O'Neill, McKinnon, Gibb, T RAE, Roxburgh, Coulston, Flanagan, Duncan. 

The match saw some weak refereeing by Mr Mullan of Dalkeith and Thistle were outmuscled.   The only highlight was a dribble by Flanagan when he beat 3 men and set up RAE for the goal (15).  Dunfermline equalised (T CALLAGHAN, 33) and a 35-yarder (EDWARDS, 82) won the points.

Edited by a f kincaid

Showing my age here, was at the Celtic 0 ; 2 Jags game at Parkhead. Massive thistle support turned up. Standing outside the away end to get in when a huge cheer went up, thought we were down a goal until heads with red and yellow scarves appeared shouting we had scored. Shuffling towards the turnstiles another Huge cheer, despair setting in, they have equalised, but no, heads appear again with red and yellow scarves, we were two up. When we finally got in the rest of the game was rather ordinary the only thing else I can remember is Yogi Bear falling over his own boots on the Jags goal line and not scoring. The North Terrace has had a roof over it from the first day my dad took me to Firhill. I think they were building something or doing renovations as I spent most of the time playing in a sand and crushed rock site with other little kids. I think it was about 1949. And the last game I attended, when still living in Glasgow it still had a roof. That was early 1964.