Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Bobby Houston,Donnie McKinnon and Danny Kellachan.

Something a bit odd about this: 

Agreed that it's Houston and McKinnon. If it's Jan 1st 1974, then our no. 6 was Nobby Clark (who scored the equaliser); Kellachan was no. 3.

HOWEVER, McKinnon wasn't on the team sheet, and figures nowhere in any match that season, according to the official history book. Indeed, the squad photo for season 73-74 shows Donnie looking like a physio rather than a player.

And were we really wearing short-sleeved shirts on Jan 1st?

My hypothesis: for one reason or another we were rather short of players on that day, and Donnie stepped in?

Baffling to say the least. 

Definitely Kellachan and he is listed as making only 3 first-team appearances against Rangers at Ibrox ie, 1/1/1974, 7/9/1974 and 2/8/1976.  The last one can be discounted because there is a photo in the report of the match in the Herald and it's not the same strip.   That leaves the first 2.   It definitely looks like Donnie McKinnon but his last first-team appearance at Ibrox is listed as April 1968.  Kellachan and Houston weren't around then.  Agree the photo looks far too "summery" to be January.  

In all three of Kellachan's appearances at Ibrox he's listed at No 3, not No 6 but Bertie Auld was known to occasionally try and confuse the opposition by swopping jerseys around.  In addition the Rangers player on the left looks like Derek Parlane and he played in the 7/9/1974 match.  Even so, there is no McKinnon listed.  Nobby Clark was centre-half that day.

Going to take a wild guess and suggest it's a reserve match on 15/8/1972.  (Sparse crowd in the enclosure and McKinnon still playing.)  Don't have the exact line-up but McKinnon, Houston and Kellachan were all in the squad of 12 for the match.  Parlane was listed in the Rangers squad for the match (Ev Times).

1 hour ago, a f kincaid said:

Going to take a wild guess and suggest it's a reserve match on 15/8/1972.  (Sparse crowd in the enclosure and McKinnon still playing.)  Don't have the exact line-up but McKinnon, Houston and Kellachan were all in the squad of 12 for the match.  Parlane was listed in the Rangers squad for the match (Ev Times).

That reserve game looks favourite to me. Fairly certain that is Parlane (he'd be a likely reserve player if Colin Stein was still at Ibrox?). I'd almost say it was too early for Houston but if not he'd be a reserve player back then. Donnie McK  and Kellachan wouldn't be first choices either at that particular time. Yeh, looks like you've cracked it, afk. 

3 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

I don't think laterally enough to come up with the possibility of a reserve match!! That sounds highly plausible, compared to my fantasy of Thistle sneaking Donnie on on Jan 1st because somebody hadn't turned up.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:33 PM, stuthejag said:

I'm told that with the Rangers players (Ian McDonald) it's from a afternoon reserve game in March 1973 a 3-1 defeat.

Ah well, I was on the right lines.  Off to brush up on my early 70s Rangers mug-shots!

• Haha 1

I've perhaps been reading too much into stuthejag's "sad times!"s comment. Can't remember a crucial defeat (as opposed to a routine one) at Easter Rd around that time.  No reason whatsoever to disagree with Winter's answer tho' I wouldn't recognise Chalmers at a distance around that time without his golf clubs.

I only see Kellachan playing twice at Easter Road (March and Sep 1973).  Given the state of the goalmouth I think 13/3/1973 would be favourite.  Lost 1-2 but hardly a pumping.  

Rough, Hansen, Kellachan, Glavin, Anderson, Clark, Gibson, Strachan, RAE (T), Rae (A), Chalmers.  Sub: Craig.