Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

2 hours ago, DenisOhDenis said:

Despite having been at every Thistle game there since 1970 apart from one, it took me a while to pin it down but it's Berwick.

The guy scoring is Brian McClair who I very vaguely knew when he was at at Glasgow Uni while part time with Motherwell, so that dated it to early-mid 80s.

The goalie does look very Hamish McAlpine-esque and Dundee United did wear Adidas kit at that time but I thought he looked too young for 80s Hamish and my memories of Tannadice didn't fit with the shed in the background.  A quick Google of photos of the ground seemed to confirm this.

Some more googling narrowed it down to 1983/84 season as that was McClair's first season with Celtic and the last one before CR Smith started sponsoring their tops.  A trawl of his goal scoring records for that season, eliminating the impossibles, led me to http://www.thecelticwiki.com/m/page/1984-01-28%3A+Berwick+Rangers+0-4+Celtic%2C+Scottish+Cup+3rd+Rd+-+Pictures

The two photos show the same general shape of the shed and the adjoining terracing, albeit from a different angle, but the clincher is that you can see the advertising hoardings with Polychrome and lithographic printing industry on them.

The picture with the match report at http://www.thecelticwiki.com/m/page/1984-01-28%3A+Berwick+Rangers+0-4+Celtic%2C+Scottish+Cup+3rd+Rd is the best one of the moustachioed custodian.

So it's Brian McClair scoring for Celtic in a 4-0 Scottish Cup win against Berwick Rangers, 28th Jan 1984.  One other Thistle link to the game (in addition to Murdo McLeod) is that Jim Melrose also played and scored that day.

Great detective work!

9 hours ago, DenisOhDenis said:

Despite having been at every Thistle game there since 1970 apart from one, it took me a while to pin it down but it's Berwick.

The guy scoring is Brian McClair who I very vaguely knew when he was at at Glasgow Uni while part time with Motherwell, so that dated it to early-mid 80s.

The goalie does look very Hamish McAlpine-esque and Dundee United did wear Adidas kit at that time but I thought he looked too young for 80s Hamish and my memories of Tannadice didn't fit with the shed in the background.  A quick Google of photos of the ground seemed to confirm this.

Some more googling narrowed it down to 1983/84 season as that was McClair's first season with Celtic and the last one before CR Smith started sponsoring their tops.  A trawl of his goal scoring records for that season, eliminating the impossibles, led me to http://www.thecelticwiki.com/m/page/1984-01-28%3A+Berwick+Rangers+0-4+Celtic%2C+Scottish+Cup+3rd+Rd+-+Pictures

The two photos show the same general shape of the shed and the adjoining terracing, albeit from a different angle, but the clincher is that you can see the advertising hoardings with Polychrome and lithographic printing industry on them.

The picture with the match report at http://www.thecelticwiki.com/m/page/1984-01-28%3A+Berwick+Rangers+0-4+Celtic%2C+Scottish+Cup+3rd+Rd is the best one of the moustachioed custodian.

So it's Brian McClair scoring for Celtic in a 4-0 Scottish Cup win against Berwick Rangers, 28th Jan 1984.  One other Thistle link to the game (in addition to Murdo McLeod) is that Jim Melrose also played and scored that day.

Brilliant!

16 hours ago, DenisOhDenis said:

Berwick in 1970 was one of my first away games so I have fond memories of that ground.  Remembering Thistle games from those days is easy - it's remembering what I had for my tea two nights ago that's the challenge!

I've no problem remembering what I had for my tea two nights ago. Easy peasy as I always have pork chops on a Wednesday night.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, stuthejag said:

Thought someone might have dated this ?

Not sure about it, i think it’s 2012/13 season but I don’t think it’s league winning day as it looks like the Falkirk end (not much red & yellow) but earlier in the season we wore our away top and drew 0-0. It could be Raith away early season when Dools scored, but again we would have worn the away top. I think the first time we wore the home top was in the 5-1 Dunfermline game.  Maybe the previous season but I thought we wore red shorts and socks then. I’m sure someone will know :lol:

On 4/15/2019 at 9:49 PM, stuthejag said:

Thought someone might have dated this ?

Rowson and Paton...

On 4/7/2019 at 7:37 PM, DenisOhDenis said:

Berwick in 1970 was one of my first away games so I have fond memories of that ground.  Remembering Thistle games from those days is easy - it's remembering what I had for my tea two nights ago that's the challenge!

• Like 1

McAdam MacDonald Somner and Jamie Doyle

I think that might have been the game when we had to change strip at half time and ended up in pale blue with red shorts (vile combination ) might have been 2-1 to us which was a very very rare victory against them at that time, but might have been another game altogether. 

• Like 1