Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

13 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Must be Colin Macadam?

Agree but big Beastie is a relatively easy hit for those of a certain age and I'm having more trouble identifying the opposition (club and player). Any ideas?   Dumbarton and Dundee Utd both had banded white strips but I don't think it's either of them and at this time of night (this time of life?) I can't think of many others.

10 hours ago, DenisOhDenis said:

Agree but big Beastie is a relatively easy hit for those of a certain age and I'm having more trouble identifying the opposition (club and player). Any ideas?   Dumbarton and Dundee Utd both had banded white strips but I don't think it's either of them and at this time of night (this time of life?) I can't think of many others.

That looks like a Dumbarton strip from the 1980's [see attached - but the shirt collar looks wrong], for that season I can only see reserve games between the clubs for that year. When CM came back to Thistle [1986 / 88] after his time at RFC and a stint in Oz, it was the time of the dreadful Derek Johnstone management, and I remember we had the Ashoka Indian Restaurant as our shirt sponsor.  Think this one needs a bit more research ….

dumbarton 1980.jpg

Edited by ARu-Strathbungo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

That looks like a Dumbarton strip from the 1980's [see attached - but the shirt collar looks wrong], for that season I can only see reserve games between the clubs for that year. When CM came back to Thistle [1986 / 88] after his time at RFC and a stint in Oz, it was the time of the dreadful Derek Johnstone management, and I remember we had the Ashoka Indian Restaurant as our shirt sponsor.  Think this one needs a bit more research ….

dumbarton 1980.jpg

It could be an away strip, maybe Motherwell?

On 5/19/2019 at 12:29 AM, DenisOhDenis said:

It's vs. Brechin City http://partickthistleahistory.wikifoundry.com/page/v+Brechin+City+(H)+Feb+1987

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

From an unforgettable game.

thumbnail_IMG_8385.jpg

Jags are Alan Rough and Ian Reid...Rangers players maybe Jim Denny and Colin Stein. 

It must be the 3-2 Victory at Firhill at the start of season 1971/72...John Gibson scored two and set up the other...he only made it to half time because of the brutal hacking of John "The Greatest Ever Ranger" Greig.

Glory Days!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Winter of '63 said:

Jags are Alan Rough and Ian Reid...Rangers players maybe Jim Denny and Colin Stein. 

It must be the 3-2 Victory at Firhill at the start of season 1971/72...John Gibson scored two and set up the other...he only made it to half time because of the brutal hacking of John "The Greatest Ever Ranger" Greig.

Glory Days!

That's one of the games that I really wish was on video; the Jags (and wee Johnny Gibson in particular) were absolutely terrific. The other game that I wish had been recorded was the 0-0 semi-final against the h *ns, as it was just about the best 0-0 game I've ever seen. And the world would be able to see the damage that a biased linesman can do in a split second.

On Johnny Gibson: according to his Wiki page, in a career that spanned 14 years he played a grand total, all clubs combined, of 138 matches, 93 for Thistle over a 7-year period. That seems remarkably few . Was he as injury prone as those stats might suggest?

Edited by Jaggernaut

7 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

That's one of the games that I really wish was on video; the Jags (and wee Johnny Gibson in particular) were absolutely terrific. The other game that I wish had been recorded was the 0-0 semi-final against the h *ns, as it was just about the best 0-0 game I've ever seen. And the world would be able to see the damage that a biased linesman can do in a split second.

On Johnny Gibson: according to his Wiki page, in a career that spanned 14 years he played a grand total, all clubs combined, of 138 matches, 93 for Thistle over a 7-year period. That seems remarkably few . Was he as injury prone as those stats might suggest?

Johnny Gibson was an entertainer but inconsistent...either a match-winner or anonymous. He was brilliant in that first half against Rangers even scoring with a header - he was about 5ft5in!

Other than having his shins and ankles rattled by Greig and not making the second half of that game, I don't remember Gibson being particularly injury prone...having to compete with Bobby Lawrie and Denis McQuade and then Bobby Houston for a place in the team as a winger probably accounted for his limited appearances.

I think there was a dispute at the time of the Cup Semi Final with Rangers which meant there was no TV coverage...it would have been interesting to see just how many yards onside Bobby Houston was.