Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

7 hours ago, Winter of '63 said:

I think it's Colin Smith against Dumbarton - I'm sure we played them on the first League Game of the Season at Firhill in around 1973. I don't remember much about Colin Smith other than we signed him from Queens Park and I don't think he ever scored for us.

Fantastic recall Wo'63.  I think you are right, except that it would have been 1972 (9 Sept to be precise). No great recall on my part - although I was there, I don't remember anything in particular about the game so Google is my friend on this occasion. 

There is a match report with a very grainy photo of Colin Smith on the thistlehistory site (oddly it's on the page for the friendly with Rot Weiss a few days later, see http://partickthistleahistory.wikifoundry-mobile.com/m/page/1972+-+Rot+Weiss%2C+3-2). 

There's no team sheet on the thistlehistory site but the sonsarchive site (http://sonsarchive.com/matchdetails.php?id=2492)  indicates that Johnny G didn't play so it definitely isn't him.  9000 at Firhill that day!

8 minutes ago, DenisOhDenis said:

Fantastic recall Wo'63.  I think you are right, except that it would have been 1972 (9 Sept to be precise). No great recall on my part - although I was there, I don't remember anything in particular about the game so Google is my friend on this occasion. 

There is a match report with a very grainy photo of Colin Smith on the thistlehistory site (oddly it's on the page for the friendly with Rot Weiss a few days later, see http://partickthistleahistory.wikifoundry-mobile.com/m/page/1972+-+Rot+Weiss%2C+3-2). 

There's no team sheet on the thistlehistory site but the sonsarchive site (http://sonsarchive.com/matchdetails.php?id=2492)  indicates that Johnny G didn't play so it definitely isn't him.  9000 at Firhill that day!

Cheers Denis and thanks for the historic links. 

I was at that game too...and there are two things I can remember about it. Firstly, my all-time favourite Jag, Ronnie Glavin, scored two brilliant goals - the Evening Times Report describes a shot that nearly ripped the net. Secondly, we won 4-1 and were top of the first League Table of the Season for a few hours - for some reason Celtic had an evening Kick Off and scored six.

I  did remember Colin Smith had a mullet-style haircut which helped with the Identification. I also think that Jamie Smith, who  played for Thistle too, may have been his son..

I see that Colin McAdam played for Dumbarton in that game.

While I can still recall obscure facts of games from that era, I am trying to erase the memories of some of the performances from last season.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Winter of '63 said:

Cheers Denis and thanks for the historic links. 

I was at that game too...and there are two things I can remember about it. Firstly, my all-time favourite Jag, Ronnie Glavin, scored two brilliant goals - the Evening Times Report describes a shot that nearly ripped the net. Secondly, we won 4-1 and were top of the first League Table of the Season for a few hours - for some reason Celtic had an evening Kick Off and scored six.

I  did remember Colin Smith had a mullet-style haircut which helped with the Identification. I also think that Jamie Smith, who  played for Thistle too, may have been his son..

I see that Colin McAdam played for Dumbarton in that game.

While I can still recall obscure facts of games from that era, I am trying to erase the memories of some of the performances from last season.

Great work, guys. I'd forgotten about Colin Smith! Another who, for one reason or another, didn't quite hit the heights for us.

9 hours ago, stuthejag said:

so Home or Away ?

McDonald, Ian v Clyde.jpg

Ian McDonald? (Unsure)

Firhill! (Definite) 

ETA: his Wiki entry says he was with us 1976-1984, then after a year at Motherwell again from 1985-1989. He played a total of 261 games for us....

Am I right in thinking that the "legend" criterion (according to the legends book) is 250 games?

Edited by Jaggernaut