Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

49 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Ian McDonald? (Unsure)

Firhill! (Definite) 

ETA: his Wiki entry says he was with us 1976-1984, then after a year at Motherwell again from 1985-1989. He played a total of 261 games for us....

Am I right in thinking that the "legend" criterion (according to the legends book) is 250 games?

Definitely Ian McDonald. Amazing amount of games he played for us

6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Ian McDonald? (Unsure)

Firhill! (Definite) 

ETA: his Wiki entry says he was with us 1976-1984, then after a year at Motherwell again from 1985-1989. He played a total of 261 games for us....

Am I right in thinking that the "legend" criterion (according to the legends book) is 250 games?

Home or Away ? Firhill was also home to them at this period.

It is McDonald up against a future Scotland International

Edited by stuthejag

8 hours ago, stuthejag said:

Home or Away ? Firhill was also home to them at this period.

It is McDonald up against a future Scotland International

Clyde left Shawfield 1986 that’s before then going with the strip

The Strips we had during their lodging with us were

Morton’s Rolls Yellow (Till end 85-86 season)

Ashoka West End Red & Yellow stripes till 87

Colonel Gees Triangular Yellow neck on red body till 89

Watson Towers till 1990

50 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

If I remember right we had both the Scotland under 21 goalie Thompson and the main team goalie Rough on our books at the same time.

I think your right, I remember seeing BT at Firhill, but only for some sort of photoshoot at one of the Anglo-Scottish Cup games, never saw him actually playing for Thistle.

Rather topically, he was at the Scotland V Cyprus game last night working with the GK's during their warm up

6 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I think your right, I remember seeing BT at Firhill, but only for some sort of photoshoot at one of the Anglo-Scottish Cup games, never saw him actually playing for Thistle.

Rather topically, he was at the Scotland V Cyprus game last night working with the GK's during their warm up

Only played 1 league game, but played league cup and Glasgow cup games. Sold to St. Mirren for £50,000 in 1978.

14 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Only played 1 league game, but played league cup and Glasgow cup games. Sold to St. Mirren for £50,000 in 1978.

I checked the dates of the AS cup game, that was September 1977 [against Bristol City] and he was listed as a sub for that game. Impressive as he was only 19 years old.

I found a photo from that game …. any thoughts on the PT and the BC players?

AS CUP 1977-modified.jpg

13 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I checked the dates of the AS cup game, that was September 1977 [against Bristol City] and he was listed as a sub for that game. Impressive as he was only 19 years old.

I found a photo from that game …. any thoughts on the PT and the BC players?

AS CUP 1977-modified.jpg

Dougie Somner and Jim Melrose.  No idea about the Bristol City players but don't remember them having anyone 'famous' in their line-up.

(Damn autocorrect initially changed DS into Doggie Dinner - lucky I had my specs on.)

4 minutes ago, DenisOhDenis said:

Dougie Somner and Jim Melrose.  No idea about the Bristol City players but don't remember them having anyone 'famous' in their line-up.

(Damn autocorrect initially changed DS into Doggie Dinner - lucky I had my specs on.)

They did have a few 'famous' players, the one in the photo is Norman Hunter, they also had Peter Cormack playing in the team that night. I don't remember much of how Cormack played, but I remember particularly watching Hunter because of the hard tackling reputation he had.

We won the game 2-0.. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 8:33 AM, Jaggernaut said:

Sammy Johnston: I think the slowest, stiffest player I ever saw playing for Thistle. Reminded me of C-P3O.

I recall he suffered a bad knee injury which led to this stiffness.

16 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

They did have a few 'famous' players, the one in the photo is Norman Hunter, they also had Peter Cormack playing in the team that night. I don't remember much of how Cormack played, but I remember particularly watching Hunter because of the hard tackling reputation he had.

We won the game 2-0.. 

Norman 'Bite Your Legs' Hunter. Unlike some modern day players, he didn't actually bite anybody. Part of a very good, talented and physical Leed's side of the early 70's.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Norman 'Bite Your Legs' Hunter. Unlike some modern day players, he didn't actually bite anybody. Part of a very good, talented and physical Leed's side of the early 70's.

Had the pleasure of watching that great Leeds United team lose to Fourth Division Colchester United in the FA Cup in 1971. A good year for giant killing, I believe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Bumped into him last season outside Elland Road, my (English) mate thought it was Peter Lorimer, So we addressed him as Pete and I got a selfie he looked very confused me talking about Glasgow n Scotland was only later when someone of my social media said it was Bite Your Legs Hunter....lol  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Johnny Gibson ( I never knew he was English until I looked at his Wiki entry).

Is that the old Douglas Park (the ground, not a player)?

I think it's Cappielow, I recognise the player on the right, maybe Neil McNab?