Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

2 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

Can only find 1 game when Park played with the No 8 shirt so looks line 23/9/1978 in a 2-3 defeat in the league.  Dougie Somner scoring with a penalty to make it 2-1 after Melrose had equalised.  A soft penalty after h-t made it 2-2 then the winner came 2 minutes later.  Park hit the post. Somner had a goal disallowed and Celtic defended desperately to see the game out.  Changed Days!

L-R Melrose, Somner, Burns, Latchford, Houston, Park Lynch(?).

Rough, MacKinnon, Whittaker, Campbell, Marr, Gibson, Houston, Park, SOMNER, MELROSE, Love.

In which case our No. 6 must be Gibson not Somner?

That photo brings back some memories...I went to that game with my father who was a Queens' Supporter but pleased that my team was doing well. It was the game that clinched the Championship...it was played midweek for some reason which may have been the reason the crowd was relatively small. We made sure of promotion a couple of weeks before against Arbroath at Firhill...attendance was 8,851.

My memories of this game are that it was played midweek but Google tells me 19 April 1971 was actually a Monday, which would have helped the crowd even less than the traditional Wednesday.  Great night though and I can still taste the celebratory chips on the way home. 

I'm guessing it was a rearranged postponed game from earlier in the season.  Anyone know why it was scheduled for a Monday? 

3 hours ago, DenisOhDenis said:

My memories of this game are that it was played midweek but Google tells me 19 April 1971 was actually a Monday, which would have helped the crowd even less than the traditional Wednesday.  Great night though and I can still taste the celebratory chips on the way home. 

I'm guessing it was a rearranged postponed game from earlier in the season.  Anyone know why it was scheduled for a Monday? 

Could it have been Easter Monday?

• Like 1

Just looked up QP's fixtures for the season and they also played Montrose at home that Wednesday, losing 4-0, presumably in part because they were all knackered as they also had a game on the Saturday before the Thistle game.  

But what's even odder is that their next game wasn't until the following Monday so I've no idea why they had to play three games on the bounce like that.  As ever, the usual sensible scheduling from our football authorities. 

Edited by DenisOhDenis

17 hours ago, DenisOhDenis said:

Anybody know if there was a programme issued for that Queen's Park game, or for the Berwick Rangers game at Firhill on April 6th (Tuesday evening)?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2019 at 8:10 PM, Winter of '63 said:

That photo brings back some memories...I went to that game with my father who was a Queens' Supporter but pleased that my team was doing well. It was the game that clinched the Championship...it was played midweek for some reason which may have been the reason the crowd was relatively small. We made sure of promotion a couple of weeks before against Arbroath at Firhill...attendance was 8,851.

And the Arbroath game was the featured game on Sportscene that night, if I remember correctly. With the game at home to East Fife a few weeks earlier having been covered too, this was the first time (in my memory) that two non-top flight games had been broadcast in the same season. 

On 10/9/2019 at 6:31 AM, a f kincaid said:

19 April 1971.  The 2-1 win over Queens confirmed the championship.  

Rough, Hansen (J), Gray,  Smith, McKinnon, Strachan, McQUADE, Coulston, Bone, Rae, LAWRIE.

The good old days when players wore numbers 1 through 11.

Is   McQUADE, Coulston, Bone, Rae, LAWRIE.  the easiest forward line to remember during the history of the club?

3 minutes ago, thistle4celtic1 said:

The good old days when players wore numbers 1 through 11.

Is   McQUADE, Coulston, Bone, Rae, LAWRIE.  the easiest forward line to remember during the history of the club?

If I could go back and re-live just one day of my life, it would be Oct 23rd 1971.

• Like 1