Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

24 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Not the best quality so I’m not sure of a few but it looks like John Lapsley in the middle and Andy Anderson on the right with Dougie McNab in goal.  It looks like v. Morton 

Kenny Watson far left? Classic PTFC strip - could even be the red shorts combo to top it off nicely.

7 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Compare the crowd in the above photo with the one here!

Interesting one: players from both teams looking pensive, but a half-smile on one of the 'Well players suggests who might have won.

Over to the experts....

thumbnail_FB_IMG_1573058114250.jpg

Davie Mathers the Thistle player nearest the camera and  Willie Hunter of Motherwell.  League Cup 30/8/1958  1-1.  Thistle had to avoid more than a 2-0 defeat otherwise Motherwell would have won the section.  Looks like Martis to Mathers' left.  Frank Donlevy first Thistle player to the left in the background.  Motherwell gave Thistle the run-around for more than an hour but a goal by Kerr on a breakaway did enough.  Ledgerwood, Davidson, Baird, Mathers, Hogan, Donlevy, Smith, Wright, KERR, McParland, Keenan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a f kincaid said:

Davie Mathers the Thistle player nearest the camera and  Willie Hunter of Motherwell.  League Cup 30/8/1958  1-1.  Thistle had to avoid more than a 2-0 defeat otherwise Motherwell would have won the section.  Looks like Martis to Mathers' left.  Frank Donlevy first Thistle player to the left in the background.  Motherwell gave Thistle the run-around for more than an hour but a goal by Kerr on a breakaway did enough.  Ledgerwood, Davidson, Baird, Mathers, Hogan, Donlevy, Smith, Wright, KERR, McParland, Keenan.

Brilliant stuff, afk. 

I looked up the attendance: 18,000.

20000 at Firhill vs. Airdrie that season too (we lost!).

Ian Reid on the left, Charlie Smith putting in the tackle.

I remember Robert Reid saying that they had lost all contact with Charlie Smith and his family, but there was a rumour that he had passed away some years ago. I think he went to Australia and maybe even played there for a while, but I'm not sure. Smith was a very important team player in 1970-71 as we won promotion back to the top flight, then his appearances dropped off the following season. But he played in some of the earlier League Cup games. 

Long sleeves, no grass, one punter in the old enclosure... I'm going for 2-0 (Lawrie) on Jan 1st 1971. I was there!

13 hours ago, DenisOhDenis said:

There's some hand-shaking going on just to the left behind Davies Mathers and what looks like a ball boy carrying a corner flag way back and left.  My money is on full time. 

Is the smiling Smelly in the middle a young Ian St John? 

You're more observant than I was on this one ODO!  Should have gone to Spec Savers.  St John was playing so it could be him.  Forgot to add that Hunter scored for Motherwell.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 8:02 AM, Jaggernaut said:

Ian Reid on the left, Charlie Smith putting in the tackle.

I remember Robert Reid saying that they had lost all contact with Charlie Smith and his family, but there was a rumour that he had passed away some years ago. I think he went to Australia and maybe even played there for a while, but I'm not sure. Smith was a very important team player in 1970-71 as we won promotion back to the top flight, then his appearances dropped off the following season. But he played in some of the earlier League Cup games. 

Long sleeves, no grass, one punter in the old enclosure... I'm going for 2-0 (Lawrie) on Jan 1st 1971. I was there!

Apparently the opposition is  Morton.