Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

This one has probably already been posted. I'm guessing season 1960-1961, and plenty of faces up for identification!

But I checked up on Joe McBride, whose transfer from Thistle to Motherwell was my first experience of sadness at losing one of our stars to another team. His Wiki page shows that between 1960 and 1971 his record (played/scored) was:

Thistle 59/31, Motherwell 88/51, Celtic 55/54, Hibs 67/44. That's an impressive and successful career.

And yet he only got 2 full international caps! The Law/Gilzean partenership was obviously favoured by the Scotland managers, as was Colin Stein later on, but it still seems odd that McBride never played more often for Scotland. (Like Davie McParland, he made a few appearances for Scottish League sides).

thumbnail_FB_IMG_1575534706136-1.jpg

10 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

This one has probably already been posted. I'm guessing season 1960-1961, and plenty of faces up for identification!

But I checked up on Joe McBride, whose transfer from Thistle to Motherwell was my first experience of sadness at losing one of our stars to another team. His Wiki page shows that between 1960 and 1971 his record (played/scored) was:

Thistle 59/31, Motherwell 88/51, Celtic 55/54, Hibs 67/44. That's an impressive and successful career.

And yet he only got 2 full international caps! The Law/Gilzean partenership was obviously favoured by the Scotland managers, as was Colin Stein later on, but it still seems odd that McBride never played more often for Scotland. (Like Davie McParland, he made a few appearances for Scottish League sides).

If Joe hadn't got injured he'd surely have played in the 3-2  Wembley game. Jimmy Johnstone had to call off before the game and I reckon McBride would have been preferred ahead of Willie Wallace. 

Certainly a parallel with Davie McP re being unfortunate that there always seemed to be some player or other just ahead of them. With Davie I think it was Graham Leggat and then more notably Davie Wilson that kept him out of the Scotland games. With Joe there was the three you mention plus Ian St John and Neil Martin spring to mind.

If Davie McParland and Joe McBride were playing at their peak today we'd be building the international team around them.

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Brilliant picture. Back when goalies had two options: a yellow jersey or a green one. Are those bookies' dookits in the old enclosure? They were gone when I started going to Firhill, around 1962 or 3.

Not Bookies dookits - Tote Windows.

David Hayman (actor) 2nd from the right, middle row!

Looks like 1920/21 or 1921/22.   Kenny Campbell, 2nd from the right, back row.   Alex Stewart with bunnet, back row.   Willie Bulloch 3rd from the right, back row.   Willie Salisbury. 2nd from the left, front row.  Jimmy McMullan, extreme right, front row.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Brilliant picture. It looks ancient, surely before we adopted the red and yellow. So I wonder what colours the hooped jerseys might be.

A young Donnie McKinnon, first left in the middle row (haha!)?

Eddie Turnbull (4th from left, back row). :)

Wonder about the hooped colours too.  If it wasn't Thistle I'd have guessed Lord Rosebery's racing colours (primrose and pink?) 

3 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

Looks like 1920/21 or 1921/22.   Kenny Campbell, 2nd from the right, back row.   Alex Stewart with bunnet, back row.   Willie Bulloch 3rd from the right, back row.   Willie Salisbury. 2nd from the left, front row.  Jimmy McMullan, extreme right, front row.

Correct it is from the morning of the 1921 Cup Final tho I thought the reserve keeper with the bunnet was Rab Bernard ?

Alex Stewart was away from Thistle this season (at St Johnstone & Vale of Atholl).

Bernard, Rab 1920.jpg

4 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

David Hayman is a great call

Trying to figure out when this Thistle vs. Hibs game took place. My guess for the two Jags was Coulston (No. 8) and McKinnon, but I can't find any record of those two playing together against Hibs at Firhill. Could the No. 8 be McLindon, or Charlie Smith?

Or might the other player be Cunningham?

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c966eba10fe87287imageproxy.php?img=&key=c966eba10fe87287imageproxy.php?img=&key=c966eba10fe87287imageproxy.php?img=&key=c966eba10fe87287imageproxy.php?img=&key=c966eba10fe87287imageproxy.php?img=&key=c966eba10fe87287

Jags_vs_Hibs.png

Edited by Jaggernaut

The Hibs keeper is Ronnie Simpson.  His trademark was that he often (always?) played with his sleeves rolled up.  He played 5 times for Hibs at Firhill.  3 of these matches (30/8/1961, 21/10/1961 and 13/12/1961) saw Joe  McBride @No 8 but it doesn't look like him.   Of the remaining 2 matches it's not confirmed what the Hibs line-up was on 13/4/1963 but that match saw Jim Fleming @No 8.  Not convinced it's him.  Going for the remaining match on 2/11/1963.  Ernie Yard @ No 8.   Taking a punt the other Thistle player is Billy Hainey.

Niven, Hogan, Tinney, Closs, Harvey, Cunningham, Cowan, YARD, HAINEY, Duffy, McParland.