Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

On 2/14/2020 at 10:27 AM, ARu-Strathbungo said:

When I see this strip I think of St Johnstone

I'm sure a few teams had that design with the full white collar and the 'V' motif extending downwards: Jambos, Saints, and I think Third Lanark too. Biggish crowd there (early 60's?) would suggest Jambos.

So, I'll go for Geordie Niven cutting out a cross (see, Scott Fox it can be done!) to the Jambo/Saint/HiHi centre forward (who must be 10 yards offside), whilst John Harvey and Davie Closs look on.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Cheers. Some barnet on the lad.

Here's the squad photo. Great strips indeed. Some decent players too.

partick1.thumb.jpg.bf6adb2ce7ad209245ddafb2be1f3dde.jpg.116024a3bf6ce7b874af5cf18d52708f.jpg 

Two magnificent strips both proudly owned in my younger days. Should have hung onto them - I saw the away version  being offered on eBay for a mere £80 (!)

Edited by One t in Scotland

4 hours ago, One t in Scotland said:

Two magnificent strips both proudly owned in my younger days. Should have hung onto them - I saw the away version  being offered on eBay for a mere £80 (!)

I had the trackie, but the top had a badge which I later cut off and sewed on to my scarf. I wore the trousers for a few years while playing football as a (rubbish) keeper

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jagfox said:

Cheers. Some barnet on the lad.

Here's the squad photo. Great strips indeed. Some decent players too.

I was able to name every one of the players in home strip but only got Ian McDonald from the aways.

ETA - Alan Kay. Should have got him!

Edited by Jag

4 hours ago, One t in Scotland said:

I was at school & friendly with Gordon Taylor. He definitely never played for the first team. He started off at Everton but came back to Glasgow after a year to train to become a PE teacher at Jordanhill. Another player I knew from my school joined a few years later, sexy Lexy Grant.

As an aside, long after I left, apparently the likes of Alex Cleland, Graham Dorrans, Stephen Dobbie, Derek Gaston and a certain Lawrence Shankland attended the same school

4 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

The garbage players that are filling up our team these days are a real embarrassment when you look at some of these guys.

So true. Just as true tho' we'd likely be saying the same thing only a few years after that photo was taken. I don't believe we've yet plunged to mid 80s post Auld standards but we sure look like we're heading that way. 

1 hour ago, DenisOhDenis said:

Looks like Hampden, maybe early 50's, but it doesn't look like Thistle and doesn't look like full blown international match either.  I'm guessing there's a Jag in the photo playing in some other representative match.  Am I close? 

1953 LCF, Sure that's Jimmy Walker & Alec Wright, not sure who's nearest Curran the EF keeper.

ScreenHunter_1215 Feb. 19 20.46.jpg

Edited by stuthejag

What are the colours of that strip? The sleeves look just as white as the other team's jersey. I'm guessing navy blue and white. Shame the badge isn't more visible in the photo.

East Fife's normal strip then was black and gold stripes, and ours was the R&Y hoops. Maybe the clash meant that both teams had to change.