Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

On 3/5/2020 at 9:33 AM, stuthejag said:

FB_IMG_1583400609309.jpg

This picture was taken on 13 February 1960. My first time in Dungdee (I thought "What a s--t Heap"), The game - Scottish Cup v D U in their last season in the second tier before becoming an established top level team. Our team - Big John Freebairn, Joe Hogan, Dougie Baird, Alex Wright, John Harv ey, Frank Donlevy, Johnnie McKenzie, Davie McParland, George Smith, Jim Fleming, Willie Devine. Score 2 - 2. Scorers  - O.G. and Willie Devine. we won the replay 4 - 1. Anyway back to the picture - I think it's a D.U. player with Alex Wright because I'm certain it's not any of the afore mentioned Jags team. The one D.U. player I can remember from then - Ron Yeats (it's not him).

supposedly  Partick Thistle 

image.thumb.png.28f39270a98e2ff329629e5139222344.png

Reference: SP.2002.56.28

Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums

now am looking for the two that went south  and gave the passing game to the world  according to the " The English Game". They are meant to have played for Partick , and I know , but am claiming  them for us through succession planning.

Edited by banderas

On 3/25/2020 at 9:07 AM, QXBoy said:

This picture was taken on 13 February 1960. My first time in Dungdee (I thought "What a s--t Heap"), The game - Scottish Cup v D U in their last season in the second tier before becoming an established top level team. Our team - Big John Freebairn, Joe Hogan, Dougie Baird, Alex Wright, John Harv ey, Frank Donlevy, Johnnie McKenzie, Davie McParland, George Smith, Jim Fleming, Willie Devine. Score 2 - 2. Scorers  - O.G. and Willie Devine. we won the replay 4 - 1. Anyway back to the picture - I think it's a D.U. player with Alex Wright because I'm certain it's not any of the afore mentioned Jags team. The one D.U. player I can remember from then - Ron Yeats (it's not him).

Alex Wright son's think it's the late Bill Crawford.

Edited by stuthejag

On 3/28/2020 at 6:07 PM, scotty said:
On 3/31/2020 at 8:47 PM, Jaggernaut said:

Back to this one, from the Sunday Post, Oct 11th, 1914. Left to right: Joe Harris, Frank Branscombe, John Kay McTavish, Neil Harris, William Loney: Jags players during training for the Glasgow Cup final the day before. 1-1 vs. Clyde, at Ibrox (crowd 25,000). Actually, neither of the Harris pair (brothers?) played in the final.

In typical Thistle fashion, we lost the replay 0-1.  

Not a bad season, as we finished 7th in a 20-team league.

In that same season, we drew 1-1 vs. Celtic in the Glasgow Charity Cup, but lost........... on corners!!!

1914-partick.thumb.jpg.8c9aed395edc821f9578088a74769532.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, stuthejag said:

Alex Wright son's think it's the late Bill Crawford.

Sorry to disagree. Refer to page 196 of this thread - the Evening News picture of the 2 Jags elevens. Willie Crawford (who I can remember at one time was nick-named "Big Army Boots") is on the back row of the Blue and White team, next to the goalie. Definitely not the same guy.

On 3/24/2020 at 6:29 AM, Lenziejag said:

I hadn’t linked Tommy Rae with the league cup winning season and until I got a copy of the program from the final recently I couldn’t have told you who Charlie Smith was.

We bought Charlie Smith from Falkirk for £8000 around 1970 (?) - possibly just before our promotion. At the time I think this was described as a record transfer for Thistle. Think he generally played no. 4 and today would be called a right side Midfielder. 

He never really hit the heights with us. Though in the great 3-2 win v Rangers at Firhill he did belt Colin Stein with a lovely right hook! They were tangling for the ball and fell. When getting up and the Refs attention following play - thistle starting yet another attack from the loose ball, Smith belted him!  Rangers fans were furious, Jags fans applsuddd/cheerier! Think that was the height of his career as a Jag! 

My memory of him was very good technically, good passer of the ball but pitifully slow, even than George O'Neil! 

I also heard but can't confirm that he was a bit disruptive but that may have been because McParland didn't play him very often. 

6 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

We bought Charlie Smith from Falkirk for £8000 around 1970 (?) - possibly just before our promotion. At the time I think this was described as a record transfer for Thistle. Think he generally played no. 4 and today would be called a right side Midfielder. 

He never really hit the heights with us. Though in the great 3-2 win v Rangers at Firhill he did belt Colin Stein with a lovely right hook! They were tangling for the ball and fell. When getting up and the Refs attention following play - thistle starting yet another attack from the loose ball, Smith belted him!  Rangers fans were furious, Jags fans applsuddd/cheerier! Think that was the height of his career as a Jag! 

My memory of him was very good technically, good passer of the ball but pitifully slow, even than George O'Neil! 

I also heard but can't confirm that he was a bit disruptive but that may have been because McParland didn't play him very often. 

That's a decent summary of Smith. I remember he took no sh*t from anybody, and definitely wasn't a snowflake; that game against Attila's 11 being a good example. My dream is that one day some footage of that match will appear!

PS: Talking to Robert Reid some years ago when they were trying to get hold of Smith for the 40th Anniversary event, he was untraceable, and there was apparently credible information that he had passed away.