Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

5 hours ago, QXBoy said:

Sorry to disagree. Refer to page 196 of this thread - the Evening News picture of the 2 Jags elevens. Willie Crawford (who I can remember at one time was nick-named "Big Army Boots") is on the back row of the Blue and White team, next to the goalie. Definitely not the same guy.

Agreed.  I think Crawford is the big guy second from the left on the boat in the picture below/above. Jimmy McGowan next to him then Alex Wright.

On 2/20/2020 at 11:04 PM, Jaggernaut said:

Still on the subject of East Fife.... 

thumbnail_FB_IMG_1575652746505.jpg

thumbnail_FB_IMG_1575652742140.jpg

My first Thistle game, from memory, was in 1971 against East Fife. It was a white programme and I always thought it was around March but the records show we won 4-0 on Saturday 30th January.  Aged 4 and a bit I'm sure  spent most of my time running up and down the terracing.  I was 5 by the time the Cup Final came along but Dad reckoned I was a bit too wee to go. I had both programmes for years, now sadly gone.

From the East Fife pics it looks as if, bizarrely, we might be in red and yellow hoops and they are in all yellow perhaps this was the case as colour clashes back then were more common. As regards the 4-0 game I guess it was a bit like the Roxburgh hat trick being over shadowed by the McAlindon goal only with Jimmy Bone being the hatrick hero over shadowed by Dennis and the 40 yard thunderbolt.

I remember in the 70-71 season East Fife were strong, and ran us close for promotion throughout much of the season. We could only draw with them in Methil in the league game there, and only draw there in the League Cup; they beat us at Firhill in that competition.

They finished second in the league and got promoted along with us. We replaced St Mirren and Cowdenbeath in the top flight, and EF even managed to survive there for three seasons, actually finishing above us in 72-73.

Just noticed a (yet another) unfortunate error in the Official History book, on page 242: the final league table shows only 17 teams; it omits Dunfermline, who finished 18th.

7 hours ago, jagfox said:

D253E956-7853-445A-8F86-F9126DC254D9.thumb.jpeg.0573fc362cd3c45cbe4c01735239cc6f.jpeg

Obviously Chic and is that Davis of St Mirren? Gerry Collins in the background! I assume this is the Scottish Cup tie that ended in a draw at Firhill with the Jags running out 3-1 winners at Love Street in the replay. A fantastic performance that night and as I recall a Gerry McCoy diving header for the Jags third!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

A bit further back in time. I know the goalscorer, and the opposition, but that's all.

Hibees60s.png

November 2, 1963. A 2-1 victory v Hibs. Team - Niven, Hogan, Tinney,  Closs,  Harvey, Cunningham, Cowan, YARD, HAINEY, Duffy, McParland.

6 hours ago, QXBoy said:

Surely you don't believe everything you read in newspapers?

My apologies Jaggernaut - amend that to read "don't believe everything QXBoy writes".

When I saw the picture I jumped in with two feet (a red card offence). I remembered the game to which I previously referred because at that time in my life I occasionally bought photographs from the newspaper offices and when I saw Ronnie Simpson I immediately thought of Ernie Yard scoring against Hibs at Firhill. Now, having properly studied the picture you are DEFINITELY CORRECT. Davie McParland exiting stage left!

Which means - either 01/10/1960 a 3-1 win (the beloved D.McP. scored a hat trick) OR 21/10/1961 a 4-1 win (D.McP, Dickie Williamson, George Smith, Neilly Duffy).

I think (belatedly) I've got it right now, but I need somebody to tell me which of these 2 games it actually is.

1 hour ago, QXBoy said:

My apologies Jaggernaut - amend that to read "don't believe everything QXBoy writes".

When I saw the picture I jumped in with two feet (a red card offence). I remembered the game to which I previously referred because at that time in my life I occasionally bought photographs from the newspaper offices and when I saw Ronnie Simpson I immediately thought of Ernie Yard scoring against Hibs at Firhill. Now, having properly studied the picture you are DEFINITELY CORRECT. Davie McParland exiting stage left!

Which means - either 01/10/1960 a 3-1 win (the beloved D.McP. scored a hat trick) OR 21/10/1961 a 4-1 win (D.McP, Dickie Williamson, George Smith, Neilly Duffy).

I think (belatedly) I've got it right now, but I need somebody to tell me which of these 2 games it actually is.

According to a report on the 1960 game (http://partickthistleahistory.wikifoundry.com/page/v+Hibs+(H)+Oct+1960), the Hibs goalie was Muirhead. As our picture shows Simpson, it looks like the 1961 game.

No way of verifying this, but I wonder if the gangly Jag celebrating at the right might be Donnie McKinnon, though not sure why he would have been up there, as the goal didn't come from a corner kick.

6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

According to a report on the 1960 game (http://partickthistleahistory.wikifoundry.com/page/v+Hibs+(H)+Oct+1960), the Hibs goalie was Muirhead. As our picture shows Simpson, it looks like the 1961 game.

No way of verifying this, but I wonder if the gangly Jag celebrating at the right might be Donnie McKinnon, though not sure why he would have been up there, as the goal didn't come from a corner kick.

6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

As our picture shows Simpson, it looks like the 1961 game.

The 1961 game - Neilly Duffy's wedding day.

By the way, thanks for that link to a site I have never previously visited.

• 2 weeks later...